Rams Hurting: Matthew Stafford Has More Arm Pain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't like it either. But he is a stud who can play through pain and the Rams are among the best in the league at managing players' health. The worry is that it's going to be a chronic condition, that maybe he's been dealing with it into last year too. Maybe even further back, never know with a guy like Stafford who can still log his games.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Well we need something to worry about with this team. Only so much concern we can have for edge…and maybe OL and RB depth. Just shows how awesome this team is right now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure how you got there when McVay said he’d be on a pitch count from day 1. Sounds like “a little bit of pain” was expected.
Hope you're right, maybe I'm being just over the top here.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t think the sky is falling but it is click worthy :eyeroll:

Stafford hasn’t thrown since the end of the season, he’s a little sore after a few days work, who isn’t????

Van is going to be back, maybe even before the 1st week of the season, he knows the offense and wasn’t going to play in preseason anyway.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
No matter how they spin it, this is a major concern. He's been off all Spring and he is in some pain already after a few days. I don't like that.
Nobody likes it. That doesn’t make it a “major concern.”

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
McVay also said they adjusted his usage down.
That’s the definition of a “pitch count,” no?

Look… I get the inclination to worry. Let’s give it a couple of weeks, though, and then assess. That’s all.

Ram65

Legend
Of course, it would be better if Stafford has no issues with his arm/elbow. IIRC he has had issues before. Let's see if it gets better and or if he can play through it. The Rams may do more running and short passes. Wait and see at this time.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That’s the definition of a “pitch count,” no?

Look… I get the inclination to worry. Let’s give it a couple of weeks, though, and then assess. That’s all.
It's a change in the pitch count. Fewer pitches.

I'm not stressing... I'm just saying it's not nothing.

MachS

Hall of Fame

BrooklynRam

Rookie
I mean it’s a 15yd touch throw. That’s not a seed my dude, it was a beautiful pass but we need to see him rip a 25-30 yard dig on a line before we exhale. I’ve seen a lot of the camp throws and to me he’s not throwing near 100% velocity.
That's not a touch throw my dude, but ok, if you've seen camp I'll go with what you're saying.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's not a touch throw my dude, but ok, if you've seen camp I'll go with what you're saying.
It's a long season....So its not a great sign that he is having pain now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You mean he had pain after first time throwing in MONTHS?? Oh, what a surprise. You ever lift weights after not doing so for awhile?
Seems like you're defending against overreactions. Only without there being any real overreactions.

MachS

Hall of Fame
You mean he had pain after first time throwing in MONTHS?? Oh, what a surprise. You ever lift weights after not doing so for awhile?
When you lift weights your muscles get sore, an elbow issue is nowhere near the same thing. It’s likely tendinitis or some sort of inflamed ligament. Nothing for us to freak out about yet, but it’s definitely not a typical sore arm from his throwing arm being out of shape. Soreness and pain are two different things.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
When you lift weights your muscles get sore, an elbow issue is nowhere near the same thing. It’s likely tendinitis or some sort of inflamed ligament. Nothing for us to freak out about yet, but it’s definitely not a typical sore arm from his throwing arm being out of shape. Soreness and pain are two different things.

Yeah, I get it. I get ALL of it. I for one, am not gonna worry, about the fortitude and performance of one John Matthew Stafford, thank you...

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Well that's what you get when you trade away your young up and coming QB for one 10 years older... Well that and a Super Bowl win I guess :sneaky:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Happens with age, happened to big Ben as well. Just gotta manage it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I thought it was common knowledge before today that he has been dealing with soreness in his arm since last season.

I would think most QB’s at his age and with a lot of mileage deal with it. Guys like Rodgers for example. Idk, I’m not concerned at this point.