Rams hire Rob Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Yamahopper said:
If nothing else the Rams should get a boost from his hair.

First home game fans will get the Fisher "Stache." The second home game fans will be given the Ryan "Do!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7LQwpb2-w[/youtube]

Ryan_Rob.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
MontanaRamsFan said:
Yamahopper said:
If nothing else the Rams should get a boost from his hair.

First home game fans will get the Fisher "Stache." The second home game fans will be given the Ryan "Do!"

Ryan_Rob.jpg

While I admit I'm jealous of the thick flocks; that is one ugly man... Outside of the Seahawks Bruce Irvin who is a male version of Whoopie Goldberg.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
CGI_Ram said:
brokeu91 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Speeps said:
Uhm. Guys, I don't know how I feel about this move. Has Rob ever ran a 4-3?

That was my first reaction.

But; he's another EXPERIENCED guy on this staff.
I don't know how I feel about switching to a 3-4. It would mean another draft just trying to fill holes, whereas this draft we potentially could be adding depth and talent because we don't need to fill so many holes. I do trust Fisher's judgment though, and if he believes Rob Ryan would be a good choice, then I'll welcome him aboard, and root for him as a member of the Rams coaching staff.

If he's hired, does it mean we switch to the 3-4?
No, it doesn't. Going into his second year as Rams HC, Fisher's plan doesn't include altering his defense, especially when it appears to be working. Not even for a coach who has been working the last few years in a 3-4.

The plan is to fill the holes in the current 4-3 personnel, and have the new DC work within Fisher's guidelines. Besides, until the Rams actually say they've hired Ryan, all this angst over defensive schemes is premature.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This is all a tremendous amount of speculation... I really don't know what to believe at this point.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Is he or isn't he?

This morning on sports radio here in Dallas the discussion surrounds Ryans move to St. Louis.....FWIW

Even better, M. Kiffen is Dallas's new DC....heck, he couldn't handle Oregon or Arizona States spread-hurry up offense at USC, how will he handle it in the pro's? :rofl:

Guess we'll find out next year ourselves... :hehe:

I'm not sure I like Ryan's hire, just how capabile is he in the 4-3?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
I'm not sure I like Ryan's hire, just how capabile is he in the 4-3?
He's got plenty of experience in the 4-3, and the 3-4/4-3 hybrid with his time in Oakland and New England. The Cowboys' defense kind of underachieved though, so I'm not sure how I feel about it either. Not that it matters, because we have no say in the matter. I trust that Fisher knows what he's doing, and probably has a plan to make it all fit - if it comes to that.

I'm not really down with switching coordinators after one year (again) though. At some point, that freaking madness has to stop around here. At what point does the offense or defense get to enjoy 3 full years in the same system? I mean, seriously. Everyone in the world knows that it's beneficial to have this stuff down so good that players are just reacting and playing hard without overthinking their assignments.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I couldn't agree more with you Paul, consistancy and continuity are the hall marks for sound play on both sides of the ball. Just to be clear, I have yet to see any "official" acknowledgement that Ryan's headed to the Rams. At the same time, the radio host (Norm Hitzges) is usually quite accurate. :whome?:

Ram_of_Old

Switching to a 3-4 could be the best thing to happen to Long. He is a stand up rusher and should be moving from place to place. Ryan would have a lot more to work with with the Rams. Our D talent is far better than the Cowgirls.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram_of_Old said:
Switching to a 3-4 could be the best thing to happen to Long. He is a stand up rusher and should be moving from place to place. Ryan would have a lot more to work with with the Rams. Our D talent is far better than the Cowgirls.
That's true. And Quinn could benefit from having his hand off the ground as well.

Hmmmm.

JL and T'eo at ILB
Long & Quinn at OLB/DE
Langford back as a 3-4 DE, Brockers NT, and .... (Hayes?) as the other 3-4 DE?

Intriguing. But .... probably not gonna happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whatever it takes to stop those scrambling QB's I'm down with.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
For what it's worth: Now, according to a tweet by Adam Schefter, the Rams have hired Rob Ryan.

F. Mulder

Starter
I have no problem with it. I trust Fisher to explain (and be happy with the responses) how he wants the D run and I think Ryan has the ability to make it happen. I do think we will see a more aggressive D (for better or worse).

Don't let the "tude fool you. The guy is a sharp DC who has just been fired (again). I assure you he wants to be a good soldier and show the doubters he can coach. I look forward to it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
We were 14th in total D this year... that is a huge, huge improvement on recent years. Anyone else get the feeling we had the defensive staff right already?

Vault 82

Rookie
ScotsRam said:
We were 14th in total D this year... that is a huge, huge improvement on recent years. Anyone else get the feeling we had the defensive staff right already?

True, but everyone knew we were looking for a DC. Fisher has to have a feeling about something, which is why he went directly for Ryan, instead of promoting. I'm trusting the head coach on this one.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Think the real question is, when are they coming out with Fallout 4?

Vault 82

Rookie
Username said:

:shock:

Don't get me started dude. You'll have to make a Fallout thread in the off-topic section. :lmao:

Fallout is my shyte. And I wish I knew like everyone else. Seems like the more fans I converse with about it, a good bit of them think it may be a next-gen launch title. I'm cool with that, but gahhhh, I hate the wait.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Vault 82 said:
Username said:

Don't get me started dude. You'll have to make a Fallout thread in the off-topic section. :lmao:

Fallout is my shyte. And I wish I knew like everyone else. Seems like the more fans I converse with about it, a good bit of them think it may be a next-gen launch title. I'm cool with that, but gahhhh, I hate the wait.

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on that too. I mean shit, I don't think the next generation systems are too far away anyway. Bethesda will be making some dope ass games. I'm not gonna lie I don't have that much time to play anymore, but I love Bethesda and will for sure be getting that shit.

Vault 82

Rookie
Username said:
Vault 82 said:
Username said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on that too. I mean shyte, I don't think the next generation systems are too far away anyway. Bethesda will be making some dope ass games. I'm not gonna lie I don't have that much time to play anymore, but I love Bethesda and will for sure be getting that shyte.

Hell yeah bro. Bethesda did such an amazing job with Skyrim. I can only imagine how Fallout 4 will be. Right now I know they are busy with The Elder Scrolls Online. The next-gen consoles definitely shouldn't be too far off. Probably 2014-15. I'm always nerding out on my Xbox when I'm at home. Total addict.