Rams Hire Jedd Fisch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Senior Offensive Assistant" hmm...

Guessin Yarbs connection?

nighttrain

Legend
Looks like a good hire
train

"Fisch has extensive coaching experience in both college and the NFL. He was most recently the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at UCLA in 2017, making him instrumental in the development of Josh Rosen. Widely thought of as a likely early first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, Rosen completed 62.1 percent of his passes as a junior for 3,717 yards with 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions."

Last edited:

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think much of Jeff Fishers alias do you?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like a good hire. I smell McVay getting a possible successor to LaFleur leaving next year.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Jeff-Fisher-banner.jpg

"I knew they'd call and beg for me to come back!! Back in the saddle baby!!"

4f3f2249c87aa_preview-620.jpg

"I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure why he is here....we are announcing the hiring of JED FISCH.....not....Jeff Fisher..."

jeff-fisher-patriots-danny-woodhead.jpg

"Ugggh.....they're still looking at me. Aren't they? Oh boy....back to my living hell..."

edit: @HX76 beat me to the punch on the Fisher reference! :cautious:

:LOL:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was OC for Harbaugh at Michigan his first year then joined UCLA. I’m reading he’s wanted to be in the NFL for a while now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Awesome, I like this.

Think stocking your pipeline with coaches is probably a super underrated thing. Perhaps the most underrated thing in football.

Something the Patriots do more so than anyone else. I can't even recall a time they didn't promote from within when a coordinator left to take a new job.

There's probably a lot to say about having your system in place and hiring smart people to learn it and implement it when others leave.

For the Patriots that means that the offense and defense stays the same year in and year out (with evolutionary changes, of course).

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
With all of UCLAs problems this past season Fisch wasnt one of them. He was a good OC for UCLA. This is a good hire.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing that is interesting to look at is overall staff size once the hiring cycle ends. There's a lot of deviation in the league in terms of coaching staff size, with one extreme being the Patriots having the fewest most years (15 last year), and the Seahawks typically having the most (23 last year).

Doesn't really seem to correlate into wins/losses (league average is around 20) btw. Just a wide gap of philosophy irt head coaches. Belichick prefers tight control of what is being coached, Carroll likes to have coverage.

Rams will be sitting at 24, btw, barring any further moves.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Doesn't really seem to correlate into wins/losses (league average is around 20) btw. Just a wide gap of philosophy irt head coaches. Belichick prefers tight control of what is being coached, Carroll likes to have coverage.

There's no absolute right or wrong in how to coach successfully, McVay is most effective in a decentralized role considering he's still green but his communication skills go far in terms of the coaching staff being able to perform effectively

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Jedd Fisch
Worked under Mike Shannhan in Denver in ‘08 as wr coach.

On January 9, 2015, Fisch was hired by the Michigan Wolverines to serve as the quarterbacks coach, wide receivers coach, and passing game coordinator.[8] Fisch stated that he was drawn to a job at Michigan despite not having ties to incoming head coach Jim Harbaugh, the University, or the area.[9]However, he does have a long-standing coaching relationship with Vic Fangio, Harbaugh's defensive coordinator for four years with the San Francisco 49ers and one year with Stanford.[10]

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Hmmm would love to know too if we are keeping tabs on Bill callahan’s son. Would be a nice addition to our fantastic staff.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Good move for the Rams. Yes UCLA was good on offense and Rosen did well in his third completely different offense in 3 years. Michigan fans miss him. In the mini-in-game-profile for Fisch's offense the announcers talked about how in the old days offenses like the Stoops offense would have all the players look to the sidelines to get the plays and coaches like Chip Kelly would use signs/pictures to signal in plays. Fisch, on the other hand, was signaling in the next play at the whistle ending the previous play. Fisch knows tempo.

Probably a good move for Fisch. He was rumored to be a shoe-in for the Missouri OC job a few weeks back. Interviewed but did not get the QBC job for the Falcons a couple weeks back. He's aiming for a HC job somewhere, has NFL experience, and falls to this -- an assistant to an assistant position.

Feels like that, at most, this is a one year hire at the "Offensive Assistant" position. He'll either get a promotion or move on. It kinda feels like how Saban collects coaching talent at Alabama. Saban has a whole staff of off-the-field coaching talent -- they're off-the-field to comply with NCAA regs. It's how Saban rescued Sark -- Saban stuck Sark in the back office, out of public view, and when the need arose, plugged him in as OC.

And no, I don't think you can blame Fisch for Bortles. Bortles is Bortles. It was eons ago, especially for a young-ish coach like Fisch. I think it's odd that FIsch got fired for not dumbing down the Jags offense enough for Bortles. There's a joke there, right? How dumb does an NFL offense have to be for Blake Bortles to excel?

Flint

Pro Bowler
Awesome, I like this.

Think stocking your pipeline with coaches is probably a super underrated thing. Perhaps the most underrated thing in football.

Something the Patriots do more so than anyone else. I can't even recall a time they didn't promote from within when a coordinator left to take a new job.

There's probably a lot to say about having your system in place and hiring smart people to learn it and implement it when others leave.

For the Patriots that means that the offense and defense stays the same year in and year out (with evolutionary changes, of course).

Having to rely on the OC to put together a competitive offensive attack has been a problem for this team for a while, thankfully those days seem to be gone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jacksonville Jaguars fire OC Jedd Fisch

The Jaguars have parted ways with offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch.

The second-year NFL assistant was let go after a dismal year from rookie quarterback Blake Bortles, who finished light-years behind any other passer in this year's total quarterback ratings.

Bortles, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, will likely be the focal point for Fisch's replacement. Gus Bradley's tenure may hinge on any future successes.

Bradley told the media on Tuesday that he had some "philosophical differences" with Fisch.

"I think that there was some just differences, just as far as how we want to go about things ... as far as, 'Hey, we want to put on Blake's plate to do a lot. Let's throw a lot at him, and then he'll be able to carry that over to the next year,' or, 'Let's not put a lot on his plate and let him grow through this.'

"Which way is best? I don't know. I know the way we kinda want to do it. That would maybe be somewhat of an example (of differences between the two)."

Regarding potential candidates to fill Fisch's vacancy, the Florida Times-Union notes Bradley's relationship with recently fired Bears coach and quarterback guru Marc Trestman.

https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/549983476754444288
Ryan O'Halloran

✔@ryanohalloran

Gus has become close with former Bears coach Marc Trestman in recent years so I'd put him at the top of the list.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
UCLA hires Jedd Fisch as offensive coordinator

UCLA’s gamble on a new offensive system last year proved to be a disaster. Now a 40-year-old who used to make photo copies for Steve Spurrier is tasked with picking up the pieces.

Jedd Fisch, who was announced as UCLA’s new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Thursday, has never played football, but he always wanted to coach it. He’s worked under prominent coaches like Dom Capers, Brian Billick and Mike Shanahan and hopes the combined lessons from every stop of his 18-year coaching career will be enough to save UCLA’s anemic offense.

Fisch was Michigan’s passing game coordinator for the past two years and characterized his offense as “multiple.” The Bruins used a spread offense in 2015 under Noel Mazzone and shifted to a pro-style look under Kennedy Polamalu last year. Despite the pro-style’s failure, head coach Jim Mora said he didn’t want a direct return to a spread scheme and didn’t speak to anyone who ran an exclusively spread offense.

“All the offenses that I’ve been around, either coordinated or coached in, have been with multiple personnel groups, multiple tempos, multiple formations, and a good mix of run and pass. That’s going to be who we are,” Fisch said. “How we get to that, who we use and when we’ll use them, that’s really going to come over the next few months of evaluation of our players in detail.”

The New Jersey native will likely start his personnel evaluation with quarterback Josh Rosen. The star sophomore will play under his third offensive coordinator in three years. Fisch, who hasn’t stayed in one coaching position for longer than two seasons during his career, will work with his seventh starting quarterback in seven years.

Rosen underwent season-ending surgery on his throwing shoulder in November. Head coach Jim Mora said all indications are that Rosen is doing well, but the head coach added he will not have specific updates until the quarterback meets with the training staff Monday when classes resume at UCLA.

“I’m thrilled to be able to coach Josh,” Fisch said. “I get the opportunity and I also understand the responsibility of coaching somebody with the talents that Josh has.”

Fisch’s appointment as quarterbacks coach in addition to offensive coordinator will lead to more shuffling on the staff as last year’s quarterbacks coach Marques Tuiasosopo is under contract through the 2018 season. He was also the passing game coordinator. Mora did not expand no the specific roles going forward for the rest of the staff.

This is Fisch’s first collegiate coordinator position since he held the job at Miami (Fla.) from 2011-12. In 2012, the Hurricanes averaged 31.4 points and 440.2 yards per game. He was also the offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2013-14 before coming to Michigan, where he split play-calling duties with offensive coordinator Tim Drevno.

During two years at Michigan under head coach Jim Harbaugh, Fisch mentored quarterbacks Jake Rudock and Wilton Speight. Rudock became only the second Michigan quarterback to ever throw for 3,000 yards in a single season (3,017) in 2015 before getting drafted in the sixth round of the NFL draft by the Detroit Lions. This past year with a new quarterback, the Wolverines led the Big Ten in scoring (40.8 points per game) as Speight, a junior, was a semifinalist for the Davey O’Brien Quarterback Award.

Fisch went from making copies as a college student for Spurrier, who was then at Florida, to UCLA’s offensive coordinator with stops in the prep ranks and the Arena Football League before breaking into the NFL. At 24, he was hired as an assistant to Dom Capers with the Houston Texans, then made a winding road through coaching, going from Baltimore to Denver to Seattle to Jacksonville, with brief college stints with Minnesota and Miami.

Mora said Fisch’s extensive experience in the NFL and college ranks “gives him great perspective” and “great credibility with the young men that we’re recruiting,” but getting a candidate with experience wasn’t necessarily the first priority. Polamalu had no experience calling plays, but Mora said he was more focused on finding a coach who could relate to the players and maximize their talents on the field.

“We looked really from coast to coast for the best person to lead our offense and we found that guy,” Mora said. “We found the right guy.”

https://www.dailynews.com/2017/01/05/ucla-hires-jedd-fisch-as-offensive-coordinator/