rams get Chris weinke as qb coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Weinke or Garcia. WTF cares. That is like picking between sweats or jeans.

How do we really know if either is any good at coaching a QB? And who else would the Rams be able to get for the job? McCarthy? Harbaugh? Payton?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
So, is it a done deal or not?

If it is, what happened to Garcia?

Given the choice of Jeff Garcia or Chris Weinke, I'd go Garcia all day long.

Edit: OK, appears to be a done deal.

Not feeling it with this hire.
:(
Why is that? What are you basing this on?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I know why you're asking that...

And, you're right... probably based on success as an NFL player... which isn't fair.

Weinke just always struck me as milquetoast, whereas Garcis had some real fire to him.

I guess I was hoping for the fiery selection to help Bradford become just a tad more expressive?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess I was hoping for the fiery selection to help Bradford become just a tad more expressive?
Yeah, that's probably never gonna happen. Some people are outwardly emotional, and others aren't. It's just not in Bradford to be fiery in such a way that he berates other players. He is quite expressive when things are going well, so I don't think you have an issue with that. Seems you'd prefer him to be angry when things aren't going well; and again, that's not likely to happen. The players don't seem to have an issue with how he carries himself, so it's probably not something that has a negative impact on anything.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Coaching is not a direct reflection of doing guys. To those that think the Rams sacrificed here at least. They say the best teachers are not the best doers. There is no correlation from playing success to coaching. we don't need to be paranoid that the Rams always get screwed or screw up

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
So by that list would I be right to assume Weinke was in the Vikings staff with Norv Turner?
I could be wrong but I don't believe so. After playing career he teamed up with John Madden and taught football in an academy in Bradenton Fla

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I could be wrong but I don't believe so. After playing career he teamed up with John Madden and taught football in an academy in Bradenton Fla

Yeah, after reading the rest of the thread looks like would be wrong in assuming he worked with Turner. But him being the director at IMG does make the hire look better than it did when I had no knowledge of his coaching background.

FRO

Legend
I hope we bring in Freeman to compete for a spot. The guy has tools. Maybe he has grown up a bit. He can be had for a minimum contract.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I hope we bring in Freeman to compete for a spot. The guy has tools. Maybe he has grown up a bit. He can be had for a minimum contract.

If we do - its likely because we got an inside tip from our new QB coach.

If we don't - its likely because we got an inside tip from our new QB coach.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, at least Selassie will be happy. Matter of fact, I bet he is soiling some linens as I type. :rolleyes:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope that someone is juvenile enough to take a picture of Weinke holding two footballs at some point during training camp. Will make my day. Or maybe Weinke with one football if Lance Armstrong shows up. ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1-2048X1219.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance? Told yall.....ahahahahahahahah LOL

goddamn you champ and that pic too!!!! lol

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly what i was thinking. Also Weinke was working with him last month. If his heads together we might be able to strike gold and have a good insurance backup.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Tbux got it right. You don't have to be the greatest player in history to be the greatest coach. In fact it can help to have not been "the greatest" because great players kind of expect other guys to just "get it" like they did and get frustrated when it doesn't work. Sometimes the brain is there (like in Wienke's case) but the athletic ability and connection physically between brain and body doesn't allow that guy to go on and be the best ever. We (forgive me if someone on here knows either guy personally or has worked with them/someone they know) know nothing about either of the guys coaching ability. We know them as players - and I feel a lot of guys have looked at this hire and gone "meh...I'd rather have Garcia as our QB" because he was the better QB. Well they aint gonna be playing QB for us! They're coaches now!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That academy is no joke. He's had the opportunity, and experience to work with tons of guys, all with different talent levels, and different flaws. I have no problem with the signing. He'll know which guys are coachable in the last couple drafts.

Last edited: