rams get Chris weinke as qb coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we are relying on the recently hired QB coach to make the decision on who the back up QB is going to be, then we are seriously in bad shape....

If we hire a QB coach and don't want his input on who our long term developmental QB will be, we are in seriously bad shape.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just hope Bradford made the final decision on this hire.
:)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

1-2048X1219.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance? Told yall.....ahahahahahahahah LOL

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Report: Rams add Chris Weinke to coaching staff
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 19, 2015, 10:02 AM EST
chrisweinkegetty-e1306146841661.jpg
Getty Images
Chris Weinke was old enough to be a coach when he played in the NFL.

So now, he’s at least among his peers.

According to ESPN recruiting analyst Derek Tyson, Weinke is joining the Rams coaching staff.

He’s been working as a coach at the IMG Academy in Brandenton, Fla., and was beginning to carve out a niche in the quarterback guru market, having worked with Cam Newton prior to his rookie year with the Panthers.

After becoming the oldest player to win the Heisman Trophy at Florida State (owing to his minor league baseball career), Weinke was drafted in the fourth round by the Panthers.

He was immediately thrown into a disastrous sitiuation, going 1-14 as a rookie on George Seifert’s last team. He was able to hang around the league until 2007, getting some spot action.

With the Rams, he’ll be able to work out with Sam Bradford and whomever eventually comes next there.

Permalink 5 Comments

RamBill

Legend
Rams hire Weinke as new QBs coach
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_40a5ae3f-696c-5b72-ab2e-b701728b5487.html

INDIANAPOLIS _ The Rams have a new quarterbacks coach, and it's not Jeff Garcia. Garcia interviewed with the Rams last week, but the job has gone to Chris Weinke instead.

Weinke was interviewed by coach Jeff Fisher prior to the Garcia session. Fisher was very impressed with what he heard from Weinke, impressed enough to hire the former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from Florida State.

Weinke, 42, played seven seasons in the NFL with Carolina and San Francisco, and was a backup on the Panthers' Super Bowl team in 2003.

Since 2010, he has been director of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he has trained several current NFL quarterbacks including Cam Newton.

Weinke replaces Frank Cignetti, who was promoted to offensive coordinator by Fisher. There is a tie with Cignetti as well, because Weinke finished his playing career with San Francisco in 2007 where Cignetti was quarterbacks coach for the 49ers that season.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I imagine Chris Weinke can be a good coach. Between him and Garcia, I'll take Weinke all day every day. I just don't like Garcia because he was a 49er and I hate those guys.
Agreed, I too am very happy the Rams did not make the mistake of overrated Garcia. Weinke has a little stank of George Seifert and 49ers on him as well, but clearly from his failure there he was never just a cookie-cutter west coast offense QB. Which to me is the greatest advantage of Weinke over Garcia -- Garcia only knows west coast offense, so hiring him to me would have sent the signal that the Rams wanted to shift more to west coast offense and use Garcia to cram Bradford (or whatever QB) into fitting that mold.

In contrast Weinke seems to have a broader teaching background helping QBs transition from college to pro in all systems. So that suggests to me the Rams are not walking down the path towards the first 4 games of 2013 again, perhaps the offense is going to be more vertical focused. Whatever the case, Weinke is a better choice to teach the mechanics and individual skills the Rams QBs need to improve in the Rams offense, whatever form that ultimately may be.

The TL;dr of it -- Garcia speaks only one language whereas Weinke is multi-lingual, which is a better fit for the Rams hybrid offense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Freeman looked like he was going to be a top qb in the league early on.
What a fool.

He's probably the most talented of all the FA qbs out there. Too bad his head isn't on straight.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like the hire. Smart guy and has been coaching qb's for a bit.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sounds like yet another settling for the best guy available that shows some interest.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I didn't realize he was director of the IMG Academy. I believe that's pretty much the destination for guys that want to tighten up their game. I think that's a pretty solid endorsement for the guy.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't know how anybody could like or dislike this too much at this point...As a whole, I've always thought that the QB coach is a terribly over rated job as far as importance..But I didn't really think the ball inflater/deflater was a real important job either... Shows what I really know...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Devil's advocate alert:

Could this be a way to get a QB developer's insight in the upcoming draft during the work-out process?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Devil's advocate alert:

Could this be a way to get a QB developer's insight in the upcoming draft during the work-out process?
It is interesting to find, that many of the rookie and FA qbs he's been coaching, will have jobs somewhere next season.