Rams finalizing trade for mark barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I guess this also means the end of the 'Joyner experiment' at safety that many us here were hoping to see.
Maybe. Not sure. I think Joyner is going to still get plenty of snaps just because he is a pure football player. Not sure anything with these young kids has ended and I think actually Joyner will only see more action that takes advantage of his skills and fearlessness.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Maybe. Not sure. I think Joyner is going to still get plenty of snaps just because he is a pure football player. Not sure anything with these young kids has ended and I think actually Joyner will only see more action that takes advantage of his skills and fearlessness.

I don't think he will get any less snaps due to the arrival of Barron as I agree his a pure football player. I just don't think it will be at safety. He will continue in the nickel role as far as I can see.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 always wanting to be a taker:
Sorry Alan, but when you say this about a guy who was receiving all college honors when he DID play FS I'm not sure what you want me to take from it.
Plus other stuff. Then this:
I guess we'll see how this all plays out but I envision him playing both FS and SS roles - especially with the addition of Barron. Guess we'll see.
So you have some saying one thing and others saying that he was protected in pass coverage duties by playing a Robber (whatever that is :LOL:) position. Sounds a lot like the differences between your and my positions doesn't it? I'm not so sure we'll see much of anything this season because A) we have way too many injuries to run what would be our "normal" defense and B) I have no faith in Williams (and if you remember I never did) being able to use any player correctly.

Elmgrovegnome obviously taking bribes from Stu:
I disagree. The one bad year he had was because of injuries to teammates and he was asked to and tried to do too much. He played good FS in his earlier years.
Free BBQ ribs for life eh? :LOL: If you change your mind on this you can come to my house and get my famous BBQ ribs for free too. Of course you'll have to listen to me yack for hours so...you probably took the best deal. ;)

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Does anyone know which team in the league has more first round picks playing on defense than Rams? How many, including Barron, does Rams have now? 6? And yet at best they are a Mediocre defense. It defies logic:mad: :palm:
It doesn't defy logic when you factor in poor coaching and/or over-hyped players.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I have to say ... and I know we still have to see how it all plays out, but I am happy with this move. I've wanted TJ to be teamed with another thumper. I like "enforcers" in the back end. The intimidation factor alone will affect receivers (alligator arms and eyes looking for contact) and they will help against the run as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - y'know - I just couldn't let that go. Opinions are fine but show a little respect or head on over to the PD for this kind of smack talk.
This was supposed to be directed at Amitar not Mem. I was agreeing with what Memento was saying. Sorry for any confusion.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
From the little bit of highlight film I've seen today, he looks like a real thumper...One possible problem I see is that, like an old-school safety, he really seems to drop his hat and could get nailed in today's rules, I think (I don't know what kind of penalties he has or hasn't drawn, just kind of thinking out loud)...I sure wouldn't like to be running across the middle with this guy lurking there...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
From the little bit of highlight film I've seen today, he looks like a real thumper...One possible problem I see is that, like an old-school safety, he really seems to drop his hat and could get nailed in today's rules, I think (I don't know what kind of penalties he has or hasn't drawn, just kind of thinking out loud)...I sure wouldn't like to be running across the middle with this guy lurking there...
I noticed that too. But it does seem that he attacks the play. Hopefully we won't see spearing penalties come with him. But it could be pretty fun to watch the hits between he, TJ, and Joyner. Add to that when Tru comes back and JJ ain't no softie either when it comes to hits. If nothing else, WRs and TEs would have to have their heads on a swivel.

V3

Hall of Fame
Been smoking some heavy stuff lately?
Nah. Just not a fan of Tavon. Don't think he'll ever do anything to warrant the pick on this team. He might with someone else but certainly not with Schotty.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So you have some saying one thing and others saying that he was protected in pass coverage duties by playing a Robber (whatever that is :LOL:) position. Sounds a lot like the differences between your and my positions doesn't it? I'm not so sure we'll see much of anything this season because A) we have way too many injuries to run what would be our "normal" defense and B) I have no faith in Williams (and if you remember I never did) being able to use any player correctly.
Yeah - can't help you on that. There is nothing that I have seen in his play or his stats that would indicate that the reason they put him in that position was to protect him from faulty pass coverage. Kiffin had this idea that he needed a rangy safety/LB that could stop offenses like the Ducks spread. The top teams in the PAC 12 were not gashing people by throwing over the top really. It was more about quick slants and big runs. TJ was one of their best defenders - period. Kiffin saw more use out of him in that hybrid position.
Free BBQ ribs for life eh? :LOL: If you change your mind on this you can come to my house and get my famous BBQ ribs for free too. Of course you'll have to listen to me yack for hours so...you probably took the best deal. ;)
Puhlease. I didn't have to bribe Elm with ribs for life. He simply knows a true statement when he sees one. And no amount of NE parboiled rib like substance is going to change that. Don't worry Elm - the ribs are still yours.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Puhlease. I didn't have to bribe Elm with ribs for life. He simply knows a true statement when he sees one. And no amount of NE parboiled rib like substance is going to change that. Don't worry Elm - the ribs are still yours.

Dammit, man, now you're making me want those ribs - and I ate barbeque for lunch. :ROFLMAO:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dammit, man, now you're making me want those ribs - and I ate barbeque for lunch. :ROFLMAO:
And by wanting those ribs, I take it you mean the ribs that were named best BBQ in the Pacific Northwest by Fodor's Travel Guide and not those things @Alan makes - right?

:fighting:mad:Alan

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
And by wanting those ribs, I take it you mean the ribs that were named best BBQ in the Pacific Northwest by Fodor's Travel Guide and not those things @Alan makes - right?

:fighting:mad:Alan

Yours. Also, do you have any toasted garlic bread to go with them? I love garlic bread.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'll take this offer. I'm cool with listening to you yack for hours. Not enough Rams fans in my neck of the woods. :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree. A few here have suggested that Tru would be a prime candidate to move to Safety but I have always been curious to see how Joyner would go there. He has all the attributes in my eyes to make a successful transition but as you say, he will fulfill the NC role nicely if the Chiefs game is anything to go by.

Yea, I really want to see Joyner at FS. When Jenkins and Johnson return, we'll have those two and Gaines. Gaines can play the slot or Jenkins can. Joyner at FS gives us more range, ball-skills, and a freaking missile.

I also have to side more towards Alan's side on McDonald, I wasn't impressed with him at FS in college.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yea, I really want to see Joyner at FS. When Jenkins and Johnson return, we'll have those two and Gaines. Gaines can play the slot or Jenkins can. Joyner at FS gives us more range, ball-skills, and a freaking missile.

I also have to side more towards Alan's side on McDonald, I wasn't impressed with him at FS in college.
This has nothing to do with ribs and garlic bread.