Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/3/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm lucky enough to be one of the higher paid blue collar workers in STL. And there's a reason for that, same as Bradford's contract. If I was asked to take a pay cut after being hurt seriously twice, and beat up constantly due to shoddy management, hell would freeze over before I said ok. In fact, I would see that as a slap in the face. While pro sports are obviously more volatile as far as employment is concerned, I don't see Bradford's situation as being far off from that scenario.

I don't buy blaming the Rams. Sams first tear came on a very awkward run out of bounds. It was all on him and that little shove he received. Players get that little shove all of the time and don't tear their ACL. Sam is just one of those unlucky athletes that is not all that athletic and does not have that great of body control or balance. Plus his body is a bit more brittle than some.

There are players that don't get hurt and then there are players that get hurt often. Sam is just not durable. That was the main concern when the Rams drafted him. Unfortunately it came to fruition.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't buy blaming the Rams. Sams first tear came on a very awkward run out of bounds. It was all on him and that little shove he received. Players get that little shove all of the time and don't tear their ACL. Sam is just one of those unlucky athletes that is not all that athletic and does not have that great of body control or balance. Plus his body is a bit more brittle than some.

There are players that don't get hurt and then there are players that get hurt often. Sam is just not durable. That was the main concern when the Rams drafted him. Unfortunately it came to fruition.

Who said anything about blame? No one is really to blame. Sam got his contract because he was a hell of a prospect, and he got beat up because he went to a shoddy team. That's no reason to expect a renegotiation. You could step wrong at work and get hurt. It's not the company's fault aside from maybe a parking lot in poor condition. It's not your fault, freak injuries happen. When you come back, do you agree to essentially half wages? I very much doubt it. In fact, I'd bet you'd go to court to prevent any such thing from occurring, and you wouldn't be wrong to do so.
So, maybe you can't blame the Rams, but how can you blame Bradford?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ask yourselves this gentlemen.

What options do the Rams have right now?
Did Bradford demand that money or was it offered to him?
You break your leg at work (twice) do you take a pay cut?

No, I'm not related to Sam and I'm not his agent. lol
I was saying in here a week ago, Sam has ALL the leverage...Now, if we/Rams believe they could draft his replacement (Hundley), that'll change.

Sam to me, doesn't look like he's in very good shape....not flexible, not enough muscle...just not enough, and he paid for it....And that could be a luck thing...I don't think Cutler gets in great shape either, but he's more naturally athletic...I could go on and on...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Who said anything about blame? No one is really to blame. Sam got his contract because he was a hell of a prospect, and he got beat up because he went to a shoddy team. That's no reason to expect a renegotiation. You could step wrong at work and get hurt. It's not the company's fault aside from maybe a parking lot in poor condition. It's not your fault, freak injuries happen. When you come back, do you agree to essentially half wages? I very much doubt it. In fact, I'd bet you'd go to court to prevent any such thing from occurring, and you wouldn't be wrong to do so.
So, maybe you can't blame the Rams, but how can you blame Bradford?

I don't play in the NFL for a living.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's someone who suffered a severe neck injury(among other types of injuries) and is still taking a pay cut for the good of the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nning-in-final-stages-of-a-4-million-pay-cut/

Broncos, Peyton Manning in “final stages” of a $4 million pay cut
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 4, 2015

peyton.jpg
Getty Images

The Broncos wanted Peyton Manning back, and he wanted to be back.

But the Broncos have $4 million reasons to be happier today.

According to Chris Mortensen and Jeff Legwold of ESPN, the Broncos and Manning are in the “final stages” of a deal to cut his pay from $19 million to $15 million.

This kind of news was anticipated, as both sides wanted each other.

But giving back $4 million (especially when Tom Brady ends up with more money to create cap space) is a win for the Broncos, as they attempt to keep tight end Julius Thomas after franchising wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ask yourselves this gentlemen.

What options do the Rams have right now?
Did Bradford demand that money or was it offered to him?
You break your leg at work (twice) do you take a pay cut?

No, I'm not related to Sam and I'm not his agent. lol
Actually at my job? If you're injured you're only entitled to 70 percent of your salary lol

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Ugg
Here's someone who suffered a severe neck injury(among other types of injuries) and is still taking a pay cut for the good of the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nning-in-final-stages-of-a-4-million-pay-cut/

Broncos, Peyton Manning in “final stages” of a $4 million pay cut
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 4, 2015

peyton.jpg
Getty Images

The Broncos wanted Peyton Manning back, and he wanted to be back.

But the Broncos have $4 million reasons to be happier today.

According to Chris Mortensen and Jeff Legwold of ESPN, the Broncos and Manning are in the “final stages” of a deal to cut his pay from $19 million to $15 million.

This kind of news was anticipated, as both sides wanted each other.

But giving back $4 million (especially when Tom Brady ends up with more money to create cap space) is a win for the Broncos, as they attempt to keep tight end Julius Thomas after franchising wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

Ugg, come on man. Different player different scenarios.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm lucky enough to be one of the higher paid blue collar workers in STL. And there's a reason for that, same as Bradford's contract. If I was asked to take a pay cut after being hurt seriously twice, and beat up constantly due to shoddy management, hell would freeze over before I said ok. In fact, I would see that as a slap in the face. While pro sports are obviously more volatile as far as employment is concerned, I don't see Bradford's situation as being far off from that scenario.
Ahhh but here's the other side of that coin. Nfl players will outplay their salaries and suddenly demand new higher contracts. Isn't that the same thing? Just for continuity, I'll use Bradford in a hypothetical situation. If Bradford had played last year and had an MVP season, would it be a slap on the face to the rams if he demanded a higher salary for the next season? Because I see players do this all the time (lynch is doing it right now )

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ugg

Every player is different and has a different scenario. If you can't stay on the field and do your job then expect to get paid less. That's the nature of the beast.

How many NFL players get paid every penny of their contract? I'm guessing there are very few. This is why they're always trying to renegotiate long before their contract is finished.

Look, I want Bradford to take a cut in pay, not to punish him for being injured, but to free up money so we can sign some good players.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ouch. Out of curiosity is it a labor intensive job?
Nah it's in mental health but we do get attacked by patients. I see injuries every few months that require extensive time off

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ugg

But the big difference is one player actually plays and is worth such a high salary. Peyton had no reason to take a cut other then to help his team. Bradford has plenty

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Honestly Bradford's hard-nosed position pisses me off. The selfishness stinks and doesn't fly in a team sport. I would guess that per game Bradford is far and away the highest paid player in the history of the sport. And, it's not as if he is the Brady or Manning level player that we thought he was going to be on draft day. Eat some humble pie son and join the team.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Ahhh but here's the other side of that coin. Nfl players will outplay their salaries and suddenly demand new higher contracts. Isn't that the same thing? Just for continuity, I'll use Bradford in a hypothetical situation. If Bradford had played last year and had an MVP season, would it be a slap on the face to the rams if he demanded a higher salary for the next season? Because I see players do this all the time (lynch is doing it right now )

Absolutely. It works both ways IMO.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely. It works both ways IMO.
I absolutely agree with you lol. I do think that Bradford should help the team though. Especially since it will help him in the long run

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Honestly Bradford's hard-nosed position pisses me off. The selfishness stinks and doesn't fly in a team sport. I would guess that per game Bradford is far and away the highest paid player in the history of the sport. And, it's not as if he is the Brady or Manning level player that we thought he was going to be on draft day. Eat some humble pie son and join the team.

Isn't Bradford quite popular in the locker room and with the coaches? Doesn't he pay for hotels and such for off season workouts for WRs and TEs? It seems like his attitude is flying just fine in a world of professional players and coaches. The simple fact is he has no reason to take a pay cut. He's the only starting level QB the Rams are likely to see in 2015. Hell, the owner of the team is in the middle of playing 2 sides of the fan base against each other and BRADFORD is supposed to show loyalty?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
@Afro Ram. The man is already fabulously wealthy. I know it's a business but it's not like he's been playing for the minimum wage. He got the biggest rookie contract in NFL history. I do agree that it's not his fault he was injured and he shouldn't be penalized for that but he could volunteer to restructure and help out the team. If he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays for a different team this season.
It's not like Stan-the-man will miss any meals or private jet rides if Sam stays at his current salary. Everyone says Sam should sacrifice for the good of the team, but really isn't it for the good of our Billionare owner?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's not like Stan-the-man will miss any meals or private jet rides if Sam stays at his current salary. Everyone says Sam should sacrifice for the good of the team, but really isn't it for the good of our Billionare owner?

Nah, I doubt that a multi-billionaire is interested in screwing a player out of a few million. Then again, with the anti-Kroenke feeling in the Rams fanbase lately, there might be many who disagree with that.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Isn't Bradford quite popular in the locker room and with the coaches? Doesn't he pay for hotels and such for off season workouts for WRs and TEs? It seems like his attitude is flying just fine in a world of professional players and coaches. The simple fact is he has no reason to take a pay cut. He's the only starting level QB the Rams are likely to see in 2015. Hell, the owner of the team is in the middle of playing 2 sides of the fan base against each other and BRADFORD is supposed to show loyalty?
Yes