Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/18/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Well, Fisher is no Belichick. By that, I mean stone-walling when he doesn't want to answer a question.

FrankenRam

Starter
The difference is JT only seems interested in his personal feelings about being misled, I'm pretty sure there's not many Rams who care about that. About how the trade went down, yes that's interesting, but Thomas keeps harping about how he was lied to or whatever. That crap's annoying.

Depending on how things went down, it may be that JT is right to be miffed. We don't know. If.....

1) JT asked Fisher any time shortly before the trade was finalized....'Are there any trade talks going on between the Rams & Eagles about Sam Bradford?"
And Fisher answered....'No'. Then he did flat out lie through his teeth.

2) If JT asked Fisher...'Is there a deal on the table for Sam Bradford between the Eagles & Rams?' and Fisher answered no, and there actually wasn't at the time, then no harm no foul.

IF #1 was the way things happened, then I can fully understand JT being miffed as I have little doubt there have been times when he was provided info by someone in the Rams org that would have been newsworthy and fans would like to have heard from a local beat writer, but he agreed to not immediately reveal. But then gets scooped by some idiot like LaConfora, and then all the fans are raggin' on him because 'He never gets any useful news.'

Does Fisher 'owe' JT anything. Not a word. But if the people you deal with on a daily basis are courteous to you and don't out you at every possible situation, most people would think returning that courtesy would be the professional way to conduct business.

If JT had made a habit of giving out Rams' secrets, I wouldn't blame Fisher a bit for lying to him. But I seriously doubt that's the case. If there is one thing Thomas isn't, it's controversial. Almost to a fault.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I recall a press conference last year. I can't remember the topic but that Fisher specifically outed JT for being a naysayer. It was a sort of dry (Fisher-esque) delivery and everybody chuckled at the time. Nevertheless, to the casual observer they don't seem to be BFFs.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
This whole thing is redonk. Even if Fisher said he wouldn't be traded, you need to take it with a grain of salt. What if some team came out and offered a rediculous offer?? No, sorry, I already told Jim that Bradford is staying. It's a business, the Rams got an offer too juicy to pass up. Shit happens, put some ice on to fix your butthurt, and move on Jim.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I recall a press conference last year. I can't remember the topic but that Fisher specifically outed JT for being a naysayer. It was a sort of dry (Fisher-esque) delivery and everybody chuckled at the time. Nevertheless, to the casual observer they don't seem to be BFFs.
Denver post game maybe?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
JT acts as if Fisher is his best friend of 30 years and he owes him something. I don't know if the trade option came up before or after the interview but gee wiz Jim, get over yourself already. $hit happens in sports.

Has anyone actually heard one tweet, blurb or anything else from any player saying anything negative about this? For 3 years I've only heard players say they love Fisher.

Seems to me JT is taking this way over the top.
Nope ... as matter of fact, all player tweets have been positive and .. I think I saw a tweet from Nick Wagoner saying he heard that several offensive players were thrilled with the trade ... FWTW

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Aside from all the unfortunate subterfuge (i.e., lying), do you think it was a good trade?

In the short term, it looks good for the Rams (because of the second-rounder). But I can't say if they're better off with a trio of Foles, Davis, and Keenum at this point than they were w/last year's trio of Bradford, Hill, and Davis. Maybe a fresh start is the best thing for Bradford _ and also for Foles, for that matter.

But it ain't last year and Hill isn't here.
As far as the "subterfuge" goes, it bothers me far more that Fisher went back on his commitments to Davis and Hill , and FWIW I think JT is at least forgetting other coaches fibbing to him. Grow up dude ,you shouldn't expect the kind of candor you think you are owed, players yes, you no.
--------
And to that end of your statement ... didn't bradford say in his Philly press conference that He had been aware of a possible trade since back around the Super Bowl??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I had stared a man straight in his glorious mustache and he lied to me, I'd be upset too. YOUR MUSTACHE ISN'T FILLED WITH HOPE AND WONDER, IT'S FILLED WITH LIES AND DISAPPOINTMENT!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
A few thoughts...

JT shouldn't have said anything publicly.

HCs who whine and stymie the press are just annoying. What did you think would happen when you became a pro football HC? That's like being a CEO and crying about long hours. That's why you make the big bucks. If my company was announcing a new product and I walked out with my hands up in front of everyone my boss would have to answer questions too.

I've read just about everything the STL media has written about the Rams since the beginning. I've only gotten a whiny, bitchy feel from Strauss. Mostly I get the sense they realize they are covering a team who hasn't played in a truly meaningful game in 10 years.

Compared to other cities, JT and the gang pretty much just lob softballs in the press conferences. Our HCs have been saying a version of "shoot we'll fix that" for years and outside of a snarky Gordon tipsheet comment they just get a free pass.

I think the reason JT doesn't care about burning his bridges is because he strongly suspects, as do I, that there will be no Rams team to cover in 2016. And perhaps his paper doesn't mind this new confrontational JT if they suspect it as well.

Just a few thoughts.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I just don't care at all about this issue, or the StL sports media. The draft can't get there soon enough.

jjab360

Legend
Something I forgot about, but would like to add. Chip Kelly made a big stink about how Buffalo handled the McCoy trade because he didn't get a chance to talk to Lesean before the media found out about the trade and now McCoy doesn't want to talk to him. He probably made it pretty clear to St. Louis to keep it on the down low because he didn't want a repeat of that happening. He commented on how he was happy it was done the right way with all parties informed before the media was in his press conference iirc.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Something I forgot about, but would like to add. Chip Kelly made a big stink about how Buffalo handled the McCoy trade because he didn't get a chance to talk to Lesean before the media found out about the trade and now McCoy doesn't want to talk to him. He probably made it pretty clear to St. Louis to keep it on the down low because he didn't want a repeat of that happening. He commented on how he was happy it was done the right way with all parties informed before the media was in his press conference iirc.
Good point.

FrankenRam

Starter

That could all be entirely true and Fisher still could have answered JT's question with a.....

'Look......there is something in the works that could be very newsworthy. And if you're willing to hold the story close to the vest for the moment, I will call you before anyone else if/when it's done so you can be the first to break it in STL. If it gets out sooner, it could queer the deal.'

And if JT agreed to keep things on the down-low for the time being, Fisher would have to have said nothing other than...'It involves Sam.'

That kinda stuff happens all the time, and I'd be willing to bet that's why Thomas is so miffed...because he thought he had established a relationship with Fisher that would allow for that scenario to occur w/o Fisher fearing that JT would let the cat out of the bag.

Of course, nobody knows exactly what happened. And I may be all wet. But if you've followed JT for any length of time, you know he's not a pot stirrer by nature. And MUCH more often than not avoids being overly critical of the teams he covers. In fact, most of the criticism I've heard of him in the past is that he IS way too soft on teams' management.

So, if I were to hazard a guess....it would be that, in this particular instance....Fisher was bein' a d1ck, and did flat out lie to him.