Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/18/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is an excerpted Q&A. To read about the draft and relocation click the link. And yes, JT's still ticked off at Fisher.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_82?Page=0

I never saw you show such open annoyance at the Rams (and rightfully so). They really did make you look bad and no fault of your own. Question: in you 20 years working the Rams beat is this the worst you were ever treated?

Never had a head coach lie to me like that in 21 seasons on the Rams beat. Not Rich Brooks, Dick Vermeil, Mike Martz, Scott Linehan, Steve Spagnuolo, or interims Joe Vitt and Jim Haslett.
---------
Any free agent OL in town?

None that I'm aware of.
-------
Do you know how their cap situation is?

The Kenny Britt contract has yet to be posted with the league. But when it is, the Rams will be about $11 million under the cap.
-------
what would be your ideal O-line combo given the cap and upcoming draft assuming Wiz, Blaylock, Barksdale are still available?

Sign two of the three among Wiz, Blaylock, and Barksdale. Pick two offensive linemen in the first three rounds of the draft.
--------
What a week. It raises roughly one million questions...
-Strangest week you've had covering football in St. Louis?
Has Fisher given you any explanation (other than at the press conference) as to why he misled you (and all of us) about Bradford/Foles? Do you

Last week? Not even close. Just a couple of examples. 1.) Drafting Lawrence Phillips and trading Jerome Bettis on the same day. 2.) Tony Banks skipping team flight from Miami, then not really apologizing for it, then Georgia Frontiere coming out to practice and speaking to Banks. Followed by a heartfelt Banks apologize. 3.) Leonard Little and the drunken-driving fatality. 4.) Sean Landeta getting cut on Thanksgiving and announcing his release in the locker room that day. . . .I could go on. As for any further explanation on Bradford/Foles _ the answer is no.
---------
do you think Bradford's camp felt misled about the possibility of a trade? It really seemed plausible to me that they would enter the season with Bradford, [Hundley/Petty/another surprise draft pick], and Davis on the roster at QB.

Yes.
--------
Aside from all the unfortunate subterfuge (i.e., lying), do you think it was a good trade?

In the short term, it looks good for the Rams (because of the second-rounder). But I can't say if they're better off with a trio of Foles, Davis, and Keenum at this point than they were w/last year's trio of Bradford, Hill, and Davis. Maybe a fresh start is the best thing for Bradford _ and also for Foles, for that matter.
--------
Was wondering if you read Bernie's piece about coach Fisher the other day? I kind of feel the same way. We need to score points to win & JF has a history of coaching teams that don't. I think he's taken this team as far as he can which is very respectable. Your thoughts?

Yes, I did read Bernie's piece. The Rams need to come up with another TD a game basically to be a true playoff contender. Otherwise, the defense has to be truly dominant. I still think there's room for improvement with this team. Some of the younger players _ those w/2 or 3 years now in the pros _ have to start producing at a higher more consistent level.
--------
any possibility Steven Jackson comes back to Rams as a short yardage/red zone power back? Given his experience, would he not make a difference in the pass blocking of Nick Foles?

I can't see that happening.
-------
How far apart are the Rams and Barksdale? Has he had any interest from other teams?

They were far apart at the beginning. I don't know if anything's really changed since then. I have heard nothing in terms of other teams being interested in Barksdale. It's been very quiet on him. Strange.
-------
Is there any pressure from Foles camp or hope from the franchise to give him a long term deal? Will the Rams still spend a high draft choice on a QB? Since QB is always a crap shoot, via injury if nothing else, I hope the team keeps acquiring more options.

I have heard nothing on a multi-year deal with Foles. But why should we expect something on that, given the fact that Foles missed half the season in 2014 and really didn't play that well? I don't think that would be the ideal negotiating position for Foles and his agent; and I'd think the Rams would want to see more of him as well.
--------
based on the Ram’s Free Agency moves, is it safe to assume they are taking OL 1st round no matter what and likely in the 2nd round also? Love picking up Fairly.

Well, we're only nine days into free agency, so there are still potential moves to be made. But it sure looks like at this point that the Rams need at least a couple of offensive linemen in the draft.
--------
With Long, Quinn, Donald, and Fairely getting after the QB, who is going to stuff the run when Brokers is not in there.

I would think that Fairley and Brockers would be in on most run downs.
--------
Have you heard or know of any potential that Rams will be getting a visit form Wisniewski? Also, do you have any inklin of other free agent or via draft, OL Rams could or should be interested in?

The agent has consistently told me that a visit is possible. Late last week, it became "very possible." But still unaware if a visit has actually been scheduled.
--------
Do you know of anyone the Rams is about to sign for the o-line or what's the situation there?

Appears to be stuck in neutral. We're definitely in the second wave of free agency. Most of the big money has been spent, and as each day goes by, there's less money available. After the owners meetings next week in Phoenix, most teams turn their attention to the draft. In the case of Barksdale and Wisniewski, it appears they miscalculated their worth in the open market. Sometimes that means swallowing your pride and taking what you can get. I can't say for sure that that's the case here _ but it sure looks that way.
--------
Have you spoken to your "trusted source" that told you Bradford was staying?

When the head coach tells you to your face _ just you and him _ 24 hours before the start of free agency that Bradford isn't getting traded, you tend to believe it.
-------
Any word if the Rams are still looking at retaining W-ski from Oakland @ center "O" line, or will they fill that position via draft ?

Minus Wisniewski or some other free-agent center, I think Barrett Jones could be the starting center in 2015.
---------
How comfortable are they with the FS position?

I think they're very comfortable with the starter, Rodney McLeod. Not sure about depth, although the backup could be Lamarcus Joyner.
--------
If Philadelphia trades Bradford and he plays for another team this season, would we owe Philadelphia a 3rd or 4th round pick next year? In reports I saw it stated that Philadelphia would get the Rams 3th or 4th rd picks next year depending on Bradford’s playing time with PHILADELPHIA. If that wording is correct and Philly trades Bradford, wouldn’t we by default owe Philly a 3rd even if Bradford plays 100% for the new team?

As I understand, the reported return compensation that the Rams would owe depending on Bradford’s playing time is: a 3rd if playing time is zero, a 4th if playing time is less than 50% or no pick if playing time is greater than 50%.

Don't think it works that way. It's all tied to if or how much Bradford plays in 2015 _ not which team he's with.
-------
Question regarding O-Line - in your opinion will the Rams move to grab 2 of the 3 available line options that they seem to favor in FA - Barksdale, Blalock & Wisniewski? And which of those three do you feel is the most valuable. I think the center is probably the most desirable.

At this point, I think the Rams probable have only enough money to sign two of the three in free agency. Not sure if I'd say the center position is the most desirable _ good tackles are hard to find.
--------
Probably the question of everyone else on here... what are we going to do about the OLine? Ideally I feel like the plan would be to sign 2 of 3 between Wis, the guard from Atlanta, and Barksdale, and then draft a starter and depth. Do we have the cap and how do you see this shaking out? I don't have faith in our current OL personell outside of GRob and Saffold.

Yeah. Barring some further juggling of money, I would say Rams could address 2 of 3. They have Garrett Reynolds in for visit today (27 starts in 6 seasons), but given his background I don't think he's really the answer as a starter. The Rams have only 7 o-linemen under contract right now: Robinson, Saffold, Jones, Rhaney, Washington, Baker, Bond. That's a little scary.
---------
How surprised were you by the Eagles bringing in Tim Tebow for a workout?

Nothing surprises me w/Chip Kelly.
-------
Regarding the Foles/Bradford trade......Were you surprised that Condon and Bradford dug their heals in and refused to restructure his contract? Were you surprised that there was actually a demand for him? Did Bradford still get his $3.5 million roster bonus from the Eagles?

Wasn't surprised that Bradford/Condon dug in their heels, especially once I got an indication of how big of a pay cut the Rams wanted him to take. Pretty insulting. Not surprised there was a demand for Bradford. There was not roster bonus due Bradford.
---------
Now that the Rams have signed Fairley how does this affect Alex Carrington and Ethan Westbrooks? Are the Rams still high on Westbrooks' potential and if so can he play DT as well as DE?

Don't think Carrington comes back. He was a disappointment last year. Westbrooks is under contract. Don't think Fairley contract affects his status.
-------
Do you think other players will have a hard time believing what Fisher says after the Bradford trade? He had me fooled.

I think some players will.
--------
Your opinion on Fairley signing? Happy to have him but seems like a big amount of cap to use when we still have lots of problems. I'm all for a dominant DL but the OL is pretty important as well...

It's a lot of money for a so-called "prove it" contract. Basically they were swapping out Langford for Fairley, and saved only about $1 million in doing so. Fairley does have a lot of talent, but there are red flags as well.
--------
With a career record barely over .500, a career playoff record under .500 (almost all of those wins came in '99), is Jeff Fisher the most over rated coach in the league? If this is another typical Fisher season, are we looking for another coach? GM?

Kroenke likes Fisher a lot.
-------
I believe that you mentioned some Rams players were upset about the Bradford trade. Given his injury history and the boon they got for him, however, how bad could this damage the team's psyche?

It's not about injury history, or what the Rams got in trade value _ it's a matter of how you treat people.
--------
The Bradford trade stunned me, I do believe it appears to be a winner for the Rams if the could use the money for quality FAs. The of OL signing is concerning. But I didn't like the shell game Fisher and Snead played. The reported offer to Sam of around 5-6 Mil was way to low and kinda insulting. If Sam has a good year and the Rams don't the Rams leadership deserves the sack!

When the pay cut is down to an amount where Bradford/Condon know they can get that much on the open market _ as a released player _ it's pretty clear the team doesn't want you.
-------
It is about business. SB had to go to free up cap space since his side was unwilling renegotiate a new contract. Other rams have help open up cap space. Why not SB. At least we got something for him.

Sam did re-do his contract, I believe in 2012, to free up cap space.
-------
will the rams receive any comp pics? if so; when are they awarded; how many; and what rounds to the rams?

As is always the case, the NFL will award those picks at the owners meetings _ next week in Phoenix.
--------
Any idea why teams seem to treat everything as if it is a state secret, no matter how trivial, and have to result to CIA tricks such as misinformation when in the case of Bradford it seemed that all of the other teams knew he was available via trade and even many national pundits were saying as much?

Especially when there's no need for much secrecy. It's not like the draft where 31 other teams could swoop in to take the player you desired. (There wasn't any trade market for Foles.) Also the Rams might have gotten even more interest in Bradford have they even said something like, "we're considering all of our options." They were so over the top in the pro-Bradford sentiment, they probably scared some teams off.
-------
If the Rams finish at or under .500 next year, how do you handicap Fisher being the head coach in 2016?

At or under .500, I'd say Fisher's back. (Barring a 4-12 or worse.)
--------
Jim how will the poorly way you were treated impact your coverage of the Rams? You obviously have to be more cautious in passing on what you hear from Fisher/Demoff/Snead right?

Yes.
-------
Jim, the tricky thing about the Foles trade is he's on a 1 year deal. We really need a decent developmental quarterback, even if Foles returns to 2013 form. Might we be outbid for his services in 2016 with this scenario? Do we have to burn a 2nd round pick on one of these developmental type QBs?

If you really like a QB in the second round, I wouldn't call it "burning a pick."
-------
Had the Rams been offered Cutler for Bradford, would you have made that deal (draft choices notwithstanding)?

Wouldn't have done it. Remember, in a trade you're inheriting Cutler's huge contract.
-------
Over under 4000 yards passing this season?

I'm gonna put my over/under at 3500.
-------
Do you think Tavon Austin will finally have a breakout year? Does he have any trade value? Where are you at on the move? Had to ask.

I think there's some renewed optimism that under Cignetti he will be used more effectively. We'll see. Wouldn't think there would be much trade value. I'd keep Austin. Still lots of potential there.
--------
Over under 1000 yards rushing by one back?

Over on Tre Mason!
-------
Who's your starting 4 WR's this year with current roster.

Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey.
--------
I read Wilt Chamberlain's bio where he said he slept with 20,000 women. Who is the biggest ladies man in the history of the Rams?

Leslie O'Neal would have to be near the top.
-------
Whats going up with Brandon McGee? Is he in trouble to be cut?

He's the fourth or fifth corner at this part, depending on whether you think Roberson is ahead of him.
-------
Jim-with the last 2 injuries of Bradford caused basically by 2 shoves-do you really think he is a viable long term QB possibility for any team? Talent withstanding?

Jeremy Maclin had 2 ACL surgeries and caught 85 passes for 1,318 yards last season.
--------
Who is Garrett Reynolds? Will he be a starter?

Played his first five seasons with Atlanta then one with Detroit. Only 27 career starts, never started more than 10 games in any one season. At face value, it would seem to be a stretch to have him penciled in as a starter.
--------
Chances Saffold gets moved to RT?

I guess it's possible. But of the three positions he has played for St. Louis _ left tackle, guard, right tackle _ I think it's his least effect. (Not that he's bad there _ just so-so.)
--------
I saw that Atlanta signed Mike Person . Wasn't he the first lineman off the bench when an offensive lineman was injured. Seemed like a strange early free agent signing

Person was like the 7th man for the Rams' O-line last year. Yeah, strange to see that right out of the box.
-------
Thanks as always for your chat. I detect a change in tone after the Bradford trade, an understandable one since you were effectively deceived; and as you or another pointed out, this is a really bad precedent, affecting also of the sense of trust in the players' locker room, especially when as you suggested Bradford's team was also deceived to some extent and offered a pretty insulting reduced contract--I think that was your language.

My comment is that I regret this but am glad there's a bit more scrutiny of Fisher's judgment. In this case, it's about his deception of journalists--like Kroenke to my mind (I'm a Missouri boy)--but also about his judgment on how to build a team, a kind of either/or vision in which it's all defense and the offense can't be developed as aggressively. I suppose that's my take, but there's such profound restraint on imagination and risk-taking on offense--passing--at the same time they select players who would thrive in a riskier offense, such as Austin and of course Bradford. I hope the Eagles go to the Super Bowl.

I appreciate your thoughts, but I'm pretty talked out on the subject.
-------
Do you see Steadman Bailey getting an increased role this year?

It'll be tough if Britt, Quick, and Austin continue as the top 3. But hopefully, the Rams include him in the rotation earlier than they did a year ago.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I like JT, but man he is really going overboard with the butt hurt over Fisher's lack of candor prior to the Bradford trade. Why should Fisher be obligated to tell JT that the Rams are going to trade Bradford when they obviously want people to think they are willing to keep him? Saying you want to trade a guy is a tell that you don't value him highly, saying you are willing to go into the season says the opposite.

So you weren't privy to the inside discussions the Rams were having about trading Bradford? Get over it, Jim.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
See here's my question about the whole "he lied to me" thing.

Fisher allegedly told Thomas that he wasn't trading Bradford the day before free agency (per Thomas).
TWO days later, they did. Is it possible that Philly came along in the zero hour and offered them something they hadn't previously?
And if so, wasn't Fisher telling the truth?

Admittedly it's a small window where they went from not trading a player to trading him, but it's not unprecedented.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Fisher allegedly told Thomas that he wasn't trading Bradford the day before free agency (per Thomas).
TWO days later, they did. Is it possible that Philly came along in the zero hour and offered them something they hadn't previously?

Admittedly it's a small window where they went from not trading a player to trading him, but it's not unprecedented.

It's quite possible, and Fisher has enough experience dealing with the media that he can parse his words with politician-like precision. From what I understand, there were discussions that preceded the trade for some time, but it wasn't until around noon on the day of the trade that things really heated up. That could be the point at which Philly decided to sweeten the pot enough to make the trade palatable.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Never had a head coach lie to me like that in 21 seasons on the Rams beat. Not Rich Brooks, Dick Vermeil, Mike Martz, Scott Linehan, Steve Spagnuolo, or interims Joe Vitt and Jim Haslett.
good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
JT acts as if Fisher is his best friend of 30 years and he owes him something. I don't know if the trade option came up before or after the interview but gee wiz Jim, get over yourself already. $hit happens in sports.

Has anyone actually heard one tweet, blurb or anything else from any player saying anything negative about this? For 3 years I've only heard players say they love Fisher.

Seems to me JT is taking this way over the top.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Exactly.
Fisher changed his mind. Is he supposed to send JT an informative text message with a <3 when ever this happens? And this crap about the Rams misleading Bradford's camp...sounds to me like they had negotiations, nothing got done and then Philly came calling.

Unless i'm missing something incredibly obvious here, JT is clearly acting butthurt.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher tells JT and the general public that Bradford won't be traded
Rams and Bradford's agent negotiate
Philly calls Fisher "Jeff, we want Bradford. Here's our offer. What do you think?"
Fisher: "Sorry we're going to have to decline, I told Jim Thomas that he wasn't going to be traded."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Father/son conversation:
"Dad, i really love your Ford 4x4 truck. You aren't going to get rid of it are you?"

"Never, son."

"Son, I traded in the old Ford for a new Jeep today."

"Liar!!!"

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Actually, that's exactly what happened.

On March 9th, the deal was dead and there was no chance at a trade. I suspect the Eagles had offered plenty, but not Nick Foles.

Chip Kelly was faced with 3 choices:

1. Head into the season with s regressing Foles,
  2. Find a way to get Bradford, or
  3. Find a way to get Mariota.
Well, Chip Kelly's wasn't okay with 1 and Howwy Roseman wasn't okay with 3 which meant Kelly HAD to find a way to get Bradford.

So early on the 10th, it appears the Eagles offered Foles.

Did Fisher lie to Thomas? Doesn't seem like it. As of the 9th, there was NO offer on the table and the the Rams weren't willing to trade Bradford solely for picks. Since that's all that was being offered, at the time of the question, Fisher was telling the truth.

Now if I can figure this out, why's this so hard for JT?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher changed his mind. Is he supposed to send JT an informative text message with a <3 when ever this happens?
lulz.

Thomas: "Are you gonna trade Sam?"
Fisher: "Why yes! Yes we are! You're on Twitter, right? Well, don't say anything. Okay? Just between you and me. Okay? Pinky Promise me."

TFOutta here.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't know why he's acting all hurt. snead has always said they will listen to offers for any player. in fact he specifically said this again about sam at the combine - "we're not looking to trade him but will listen to all offers". obviously the eagles came with an offer they couldn't refuse. i would have refused it but they couldn't.

jjab360

Legend
lulz.

Thomas: "Are you gonna trade Sam?"
Fisher: "Why yes! Yes we are! You're on Twitter, right? Well, don't say anything. Okay? Just between you and me. Okay? Pinky Promise me."

TFOutta here.
Sounds just like him lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The whole time I was reading that I kept picturing Fisher and Snead at Rams Park laughing and making jokes about JTs feelings being hurt. Then Fisher doing the old, well Jesus, get JT on the phone I don't want him to be mad. Then when JT picks up Fisher says, " I am sorry Jim, I really am, but things unravelled late and we couldn't let anyone know, because we were worried that it would ruin the trade. Please don't be angry. Huh Buddy? I'll tell you what. I'll give you a scoop for your paper.......We are trading Sam Bradford!". Then Fisher makes an obnoxious noise and Snead is laughing in the background and they hang up.