Rams can keep Rams Park for $1.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It doesn't work that way. Like when I was in the Army, a friend of mine joined at the same time with the same contract with me, via the buddy system. We got the MOS of our choice as long as we could pass the training, and in return the Army got our service. Since it was the buddy program, we would both go to the same unit and serve together, go to war together, it'd be a blast...

Except my friend hurt his v̶a̶g̶i̶n̶a̶ foot and quit during Airborne school (right before jump week, it's so funny how many people suddenly get injured right before we start to jump), so he never got to go to RIP and be a Ranger... So he was stuck as a regular Infantryman and got sent to Fort Polk Louisiana to do crap work for four years, while I went to Fort Benning to be a goddamn A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶J̶e̶d̶i̶ train all the time and then do cool crap every so often... (Although I did totally get to wear a Jedi tab and Star Wars morale patches, which is among the highlights of my career)

Well after about a year there he decided he had enough, so he told the Army he wasn't going to do it anymore, he wanted to smoke pot and do his own thing, not play Army. He told them how his contract initially stated one thing, and sure he failed to fulfill his side of the deal which led to his circumstances, but still he wanted out. And you know what? The Army said okay, they let him go no harm no foul. After all, when he signed the contract he didn't know he was going to be a quitter.

Just kidding, he's in Leavenworth until 2018 for drug trafficking and attempting to run a prostitution ring.
lol. Nice story.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Kroenke should just let them have it anything less would be petty and spiteful.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

St Louis negotiation technique. Kneeling face down on the couch, screaming, "go deeper, and harder, i can't feel it yet, deeper, harder, yeahhhh!!!".

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kroenke should just let them have it anything less would be petty and spiteful.

Petty? By 2024 it would likely be a profit in the mid $20 millions. Don't think that is petty.

Spiteful? How is it spiteful to want a contract to be upheld?

It's not clear whether they have tried to negotiate, beyond "we don't want to honor our contract and sell you the property, as we agreed."

They should offer him something - Maybe there is some charitable use for part of the property that he would be in favor of, for instance. Or maybe he would take less than market value to get money now, instead of in 5 years. But don't expect him to pass on a huge amount of expected profit, just because the politicians struck a really stupid deal.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_d48166aa-75ee-532a-85e3-8a944a339f3f.html

CLAYTON • The Rams have left St. Louis but there may be a $19 million parting gift for the team still on the table.

The same lease that allowed the National Football League team to leave for Los Angeles may also allow it to buy its practice facility in Earth City for just $1.

The public board that governs the Edward Jones Dome, where the Rams played, sued on Thursday to block the team from buying Rams Park.

The Jones Dome authority owns the park’s 27 acres. It leased the facility to the Rams for $25,000 a year.

Now the board wants to sell the land, once appraised by the county for nearly $19 million. The proceeds could be used to refill dome authority bank accounts, after efforts to plan a new riverfront stadium and keep the Rams in St. Louis totaled more than $16 million. The authority has previously acknowledged it does not have enough money for future facility upkeep.

But a clause in the Rams lease gives the team the option to buy the park — for $1 — after the dome’s 29th anniversary in 2024.

And the dome authority says it can’t sell the land if the Rams have such an option.

The suit, filed by authority attorneys Blitz, Bardgett & Deutsch, wants an answer now.

“The (dome authority) owns the training facility, which is a valuable asset,” said Blitz attorney Chris Bauman. “We have a responsibility to maximize the value of that. And to do that, we need certainty concerning this invalid option.”

Rams owner Stan Kroenke applied to National Football League owners in January to move the team to Los Angeles. In his application, he blasted the region, arguing St. Louis’ population and economic growth is so sluggish it can’t support three professional sports teams.

Later that month, the NFL owners approved Kroenke’s move, leaving local officials embittered and fans distraught.

Now leaders here wonder if the Rams really do want to buy the land; they have intimated they do, the suit says.

“I think it would be bad form and in bad character,” said Dave Peacock, co-chairman of the effort to build the riverfront football stadium, along with attorney Bob Blitz. “Just because you have the right to do something doesn’t make it right.”

It is unclear if anyone has asked Kroenke to give up the option. Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ chief operating officer, declined to comment.

The Rams lease on the Jones Dome expires Thursday. The lease on Rams Park was extended to April 30, according to the lawsuit.

On its face, the lease says the Rams have the right to buy Rams Park for $1. Moreover, it says, that option “shall survive any termination of the Lease regardless of the reason for such termination, and Lessee shall after any termination continue to have the right to exercise the Option as herein provided.”

But the lawsuit argues that the Rams’ departure doesn’t terminate the lease; the Rams went year-to-year, as allowed in the lease, and the year simply expires. The lease, the suit continues, says the $1 option survives a termination, not an expiration.

Moreover, the suit argues that the lease gives the Rams the option forever, without an end date — and the law does not allow someone to tie up a property in perpetuity.

Jim Shrewsbury, president of the Dome Authority board, said he wasn’t emotional over the issue.

“It’s a dispute over the terms of the lease,” he said. “They believe they have an option. We do not believe that option is enforceable.”

“It’s a business dispute,” he said. “My goal is to do what’s best for the regional sports authority and for the region.”

And the dome authority, he said, needs the money.
Knowing Kroenke, he a " Land developer" He'll buy it for "$1" and develop it into something! It would be a Steal!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Petty? By 2024 it would likely be a profit in the m
id $20 millions. Don't think that is petty.

Spiteful? How is it spiteful to want a contract to be upheld?

It's not clear whether they have tried to negotiate, beyond "we don't want to honor our contract and sell you the property, as we agreed."

They should offer him something - Maybe there is some charitable use for part of the property that he would be in favor of, for instance. Or maybe he would take less than market value to get money now, instead of in 5 years. But don't expect him to pass on a huge amount of expected profit, just because the politicians struck a really stupid deal.

Because sometimes it's just the right thing to do.Yes he has every right to it if he wants to buy it and do something with it.And yes he would make a nice little profit on it when it's only costing him a dollar. But under the circumstances he should just let it go he's already hurt that city enough.Because of some over zealous politicians he got what he really wanted.So there's no reason to rub their face in it especially when the profits will be small by his standard.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is exactly what governments do. They sell the farm to lure business with no vision towards the future. They often throw the baby out with the bath water and look to the taxpayer to pay for the poor decisions. The only way Kroenke excercises this $1 option is if he has a buyer lined up. He want buy it and pay the elevated taxes that will be levied against it out of spite.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Someone from STL posted this on FB.

"Same thing Iwas thinking. He'll buy it for a dollar then saell it for the 19 kill they weren talking about. Another way to stick it to St Lous again and laugh again because there is nothing they cn do about it. He just keeps sticking it in St Louis w/o lube and loving it. He just pushes in a little more everytime just to keep the pain coming and make sure we never forget his name"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure the things he's read from the media and the people of St Louis have left him feeling in a very charitable mood towards them.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Someone from STL posted this on FB.

"Same thing Iwas thinking. He'll buy it for a dollar then saell it for the 19 kill they weren talking about. Another way to stick it to St Lous again and laugh again because there is nothing they cn do about it. He just keeps sticking it in St Louis w/o lube and loving it. He just pushes in a little more everytime just to keep the pain coming and make sure we never forget his name"

This guy must work for the Sports Authority.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just an assumption but I don't think the city would preemptively file suit without talking to the Rams. I have a feeling the city would try to get the Rams to relinquish or waive the right before they did anything with the courts. Could be wrong.

You're probably right. I would also assume they contacted the Rams about foregoing the clause and probably got no return call as usual. I cannot blame the city one bit after throwing 16MIL away a chance to recover those funds would be good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't give a crap. It's funny how all this crap comes out now from the STL media to try and get even or lash out: Michael Sam/ Hard Knocks story, Rams Park, whatever's left of what they have left to try and degrade the old ex after the split up. Move on you freak tards.

Wow. I cannot believe an admin hasn't deleted this or at the very least told you to tone it down.

This was really classless and calling someone a "fucktard" is so immature I don't even know what to say other than grow up. The city is trying to recover an asset, it has nothing to do with degrading anything.

You're dead wrong and really should rethink this...........

@OldSchool the media and fans aren't the ones involved here, it's the city that he refused to meet with and lied to for a long, long time through Demoff. The city that spent 16MIL because Demoff and the NFL said "keep trying to get the stadium built" while they were packing their bags. The city that Kroenke insulted and lied about in relo papers that he fought to keep from the public eye because of the backlash (well deserved) he knew he would get once the media and the public and yeah the city saw what he said.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wow. I cannot believe an admin hasn't deleted this or at the very least told you to tone it down.

This was really classless and calling someone a "fucktard" is so immature I don't even know what to say other than grow up. The city is trying to recover an asset, it has nothing to do with degrading anything.

You're dead wrong and really should rethink this...........

Agree! I missed this post.