Rams at Bears vent thread part deux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Our spot in the standings is currently #2 in the NFL, so . . . .

Yeah but we're kind of on a downward trajectory offensively.
So if you're fine with not winning the superbowl, or not even playing in it, then . . . .

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Adversity.

All Champions overcome some form of adversity.

Disappointed in today but we aren’t throwing in the towel!!

I'm not throwing in the towel either. But I have big time concern all of a sudden, because to me, it's a Superbowl appearance or failure. Nothing short of the superbowl is expected (and needed) this year.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Nothing left to say. Put it behind us and move on

True. We can put the loss behind us.
But we better not put WHY we lost behind us, and WHY we had such trouble with the Lions.
Do we want the superbowl or not? Can't just shrug things off without changing up and coming up with a better scheme.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's not so much that we lost that bothers me. It's how absolutely inept we were.

I'm trying to tell myself it happens... trying..

Losing does happen, but losing that way is a bad way to do it.

7 step drops all game long , and not adjusting to quick passes using the middle of the field . Some of this can be fixed , but some will remain a big problem.

Yeah McVay seems to learn very slowly, he keeps saying he will "learn from this" but goes out and makes the same mistakes.

So when you say some of this can be fixed McVay has to actually DO IT in order for it to change. So far he seem like he is going to stick to his guns.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Everyone is on Barron and rightfully so, but when is the last time you heard Brockers name called for making a play/tackle?
We have discussed Brockers a lot but MB had an active game last night he had more tackles against the Bears than any other game this season. Brockers had twice as many tackles as LB'er Barron did.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Since you asked, I never supported selecting Goff to begin with. Fix what? They got beat (outplayed & out coached) by a better opponent and Goff's inability to scramble or extend plays were simply exposed once again as being his primary weakness. He's a pocket passer with very limited mobility except straight ahead. At times, he stares down receivers, holds the ball too long and appears to lack much pocket presence. Yeah I know some say it's just that he keeps his eyes down field....uh huh, well I call that a lack of pocket awareness. The primary reason, IMO why he's been as successful as he has been (has) more to to with McVay's play calling (tonight being an obvious exception) and that "O" line (when it's on and giving him gobs of time).

But when things aren't going well or are sped up like tonight for example, I just don't believe Goff can effectively carry the team. He's neither elite or crappy, he's a tweener and that's where he's essentially been since his arrival. Stats don't always tell the entire story between the white lines and so far Goff is a prime example. Give almost any accurate passer the time (protection) and he'll pad his stats, but put them under duress and stress and their weakness's soon come to the fore.

Replace Goff? LOL, they've already had two shots at a franchise QB, Bradford and Goff. Bradford was damaged goods to begin with and unproven beyond his sophomore year....nothing like picking a player #1 that hadn't played for the previous year or this one that did nothing in college but make a second or third rate bowl game in his final season. And his claim to fame......improving his team from total crap to mediocre.

Personally I've have seen things from Goff that make me believe he's an outstanding QB and just barely below elite.
However you make a good point that at this point in his career, he seems to have a pretty terrible pocket awareness and takes a lot of sacks. He's holding onto the ball WAY to long many times, and getting hit, and worse, fumbling. Dude's gotta throw it away more, or start rolling out sooner. But I think he was a very good draft choice and is way way above average in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but we're kind of on a downward trajectory offensively.
So if you're fine with not winning the superbowl, or not even playing in it, then . . . .

Here are our last five games:
@NO - 35 points scored
SEA - 36 points scored
KC - 54 points scored
@DET - 30 points scored
@CHI - 6 points scored

I don't think we should overreact to two games.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I noticed when we take a lot of time in the huddle our offense has problems. When we get up to the line before 15 seconds, we just seem to execute a lot better (and not just last night....) We regularly got to the line around 10 seconds (last night...) and didn't have any time to change the play. I'll not pretend I understand how to fix the symptoms (or the actual problems that caused them....), I'm just going to put it down for an off week and plan on them kicking the crap out of Philly next Sunday night.

I'll have to say, I was happy w/ our defense. I know, some want to call out this player or that one. They played well last night. And I look for the same going forward. It was our offense that didn't have a good game.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We'll be fine. Learn from it, and move on. crap happens. This is our first really bad game of the season. It came at a bad time, but the defense at least stepped up.
The bears did a great job of pressuring Goff. They were in the back field all night.

dang

Legend
I noticed when we take a lot of time in the huddle our offense has problems. When we get up to the line before 15 seconds, we just seem to execute a lot better (and not just last night....) We regularly got to the line around 10 seconds (last night...) and didn't have any time to change the play. QUOTE]

It appeared the crowd noise affected the offense but for the first time this year I noticed the Rams taking a lot of time just getting to the line then running the clock down to :01 before snapping the ball. The offense just looked completely disorganized. Was it the noise? communication problems? the Bears defense? or just a piss poor night for the offense? Note: I don't buy it was the weather!!

Ram77

Rookie
I really think critics have been correct in saying that McVay calls all the plays to Goff from the sideline up to the 15 sec mark on the play clock. I think the crowd noise was disturbing some of those calls and causing the Rams to huddle and cause confusion. Road games that are loud really are our achilles heal. Minnesota last year, Saints and Bears this year. Its especially worse when we fail to utilize Gurley. I really think McVay didn’t want to use Gurley because of fear of injury against an aggressive defense in the cold. He knew Malcolm Brown was out and does not trust Kelly and Davis yet (especially in protection). McVay was being cautious over a game that really didn’t mean much in the standings. If we lose Gurley for any amount of time, this season is over-no need to give him 30 touches just to go to
12-1 vs 11-2. McVay was looking at the big picture here it sucks for us fans but he isn't risking our Tiffany diamond (Gurley) against that Bears team in the regular season

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coming into this week, the Chargers had only given up a total of 8 more points than the Bears.
It would be interesting to know the opponents played, etc .I wouldn't put them in the same bracket in terms of talent .But who knows .

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Oh man....the vent thread is back and we've relapsed like an addict lol. Yes, let's let it all out...

Honestly, these have been a joy to read so far...all of you have expressed what I've felt, what we've felt, and I have nothing to add, except for one more thing....

FUCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After Goff missed a wide open Woods in the first series by almost 5 yards, I knew we were in for a bad night.

Goff just can't throw with the gloves he is wearing.

He was so off. I could count on one hand how many passes Goff threw accurately to his receivers last night.

Good thing he wasn't drafted by a cold weather team.

So the last two games

1) First game - Goff appeared to be under the weather and couldn't think straight (he made so many bad decisions)
2) Second game - Goff had gloves on.

I think we will be fine when we reach the playoffs and only have to go on the road to possibly play the saints who play in a dome. And I think we can beat the Saints with Talib playing.

We will definitely win 2 of our last 3 games to get a first round bye.

Goff Wasn't wearing gloves. I think he should have in the 2nd half, but he has not worn a glove all year.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We played like absolute garbage on offense. The Bears managed to take away the team identity and repeatedly punched the good guys in the face. And without that miss by GZ, we're still in this game until the end. Even with 4 interceptions.

There's not any good excuse for not running the ball more. There's no good reason why Goff didn't start looking short more quickly. I get the philosophy of looking deep first, then medium, then short. But when under duress, you've got to know when to fast track the process and get the ball out. This was a game where we didn't need large chunks to win. Just moving the ball methodically would have won it.

Still, it's nothing to panic over. There are definitely things that have come to light that need addressing. If they become the norm rather than the exception....then I'll start worrying. We all knew this team wasn't invincible.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
We also need to keep in mind just how young this team really is, Head Coach obviously included. Frankly, we haven’t been in this position in so long; in a way we’re, as fans, still learning too. What I mean by that is being perennial winners. Every Super Bowl winning team has gone through adversity throughout their regular season games and they overcame it and went to the promised land. This is exactly what we needed. Obviously you don’t want to have performances like that, ever. But nevertheless, it happened and as we’ve said through 11+ pages, we need to move on and grow from this. Look at the Bears last week. They lost to a team that was clearly inferior. I think that loss got them even more ready to play against us. I expect and hope for the same against the Eagles. Both teams are gonna be pissed going into it.

Also, as much as much as I’d like home field advantage, won’t it be that much sweeter going through NO and winning the Super Bowl? One game at a time but man that’d be a hell of a story and a testament to the character of this team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They played well last night. And I look for the same going forward. It was our offense that didn't have a good game.

The defense has looked better the last two weeks for sure.

Last night the run defense was not very good though.

They gained 194 yards rushing and if you take out Trubiski's 23 yards scrambling that's still 171 yards.

They had the right strategy for a cold night game. They ran it 35 times, though 6 were QB scrambles and passed 30 times.

McVay called 12 running plays (11 to Gurley), and 47 pass plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.