Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Colin Cowherd talk about the comments made by Troy Aikman. That super teams don't work in the NFL. Cowherd made a good point. What is our identity? Are we a pass first team? Are we a balance the run/pass ratio team? Are we a physical at the point of attack team on defense? Are we a finesse team on offense?

McVay has been trying to figure that out since he got away from the run game and play action. The play calling just doesn't scream "Genius" anymore. Its like he's a boxer trying to feel his way through the early rounds to see how to attack his opponent. But if that opponent lands haymakers early, you're trying to win by knockout because you're too far behind to win on points. Meanwhile your opponent keeps moving and jabbing because he's ahead. Then you're desperate and have to flail away. If he doesn't get that figured out we'll be knocked out in the playoffs if we even make it that far.
I’ve read and listened to a few things this week that were great, I think, for looking at this team.
Jourdan Rodrigue’s stuff on what the offense can’t do and what it won’t do.
The Ringer article showing the second half offensive fade is a big picture problem with McVay’s Rams and that outsiders say they don’t make changes or self-scout well.
The Foootball Show podcast has also talked about the Rams a lot this season.
One of these follows the Rams very closely, the others aren’t on the Rams beat so have more of an outsiders perspective.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
As soon as this season concludes, which will be after the Rams play the 17th regular-season game & the Rams missing the playoffs.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Jesus H. Christ a Terrell Burgess sighting. WTH why can't Burgess get on the field? Burgess can cover, maybe Raheem Morris does not like his DB's & LB's having the ability to cover. Anyway, here's a thought for Morris & Cooley, move Rapp to ILB bench Reeder & have Burgess on the field all of the time.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If this secondary can just quit letting wideouts be open 1.5 seconds after the snap everything will look drastically different. Most OL are going to struggle vs our rush... IF they can get to the point where every fucking offense doesn't have open early reads on every fucking play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So nobody considers the wr are so open because they don’t generate a stitch of pass rush? Donald still getting the double holding treatment but where is Floyd? Got his $$ tho.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jesus H. Christ a Terrell Burgess sighting. WTH why can't Burgess get on the field? Burgess can cover, maybe Raheem Morris does not like his DB's & LB's having the ability to cover. Anyway, here's a thought for Morris & Cooley, move Rapp to ILB bench Reeder & have Burgess on the field all of the time.
One of the biggest questions that continue to remain unknown on this DC Morris defense is why TB has not been utilized by DC Morris.

Before the very serious bad injury (broken Ankle) event to Burgess back on October 27th 2020 over 13 months ago ....TB was a very promising DB with excellent versatile abilities and should be noted he played WR in HS. From the limited snaps he took in 2020 I saw a well balanced general good all-around safety who offers great versatility in the secondary to play deep safety, strong safety & play the Nickle corner post at any time but what stood out was he was always where he was supposed to be with excellent sure tackling!

Here's just one quote on TB after his 2019 season.." Burgess received All-Pac-12 honorable mention from the coaches. The Pro Football Focus evaluators who studied him on every play gave him a first-team ranking, with the conference’s best coverage grade (89.5). PFF also cited his blitzing ability, resulting in 15 quarterback pressures."

Just pure guessing from my very limited information on what has kept TB off the field ...my guesses are:

#1- TB may have suffered permanent damage to that ankle that will rob him of his ability to perform as before.

#2- TB @ this point in time is best suited to play the position that deep safety Jordan Fuller plays this season thus DC Morris has found no need to place him on the field.

#3- This injury was much serious than what was publicized. There is a slight chance that even after this extended period of time that has passed that he may be still heavily involved in rehabbing this ankle to this date & not capable of more than a half dozen snaps a game.

#4- Our DC just has no clue on judging secondary talent & even a lesser clue on how to utilize the talent he has available.....I tend to believe that #4 of the four listed comes closer to answering this question.

In any case from my perspective, the Rams need to find a 2022 starting deep safety. Jordan Fuller is not a good deep safety with little to no impact this season other than remaining on the field & playing on a weak secondary. The Rams do not have an NFL grade starting deep safety caliber DB on this team.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We should stopping giving WRs so much fucking cushion. What happened to bump and run? We know teams want to do quick pass plays. Make em hold it a second longer so the pass rush can get there, it's not rocket science

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
One thing that has baffled me, Our D line which is our strongest and highest paid position group on Defense
is designed to get to the QB. By most accounts they are being limited by quickly developing pass plays designed to keep AD & Co. at bay.
If in deed this is the case why are we not playing tight coverages to protect AD & Co? If in deed the idea is to get the ball out quick to mitigate the pass rush we should be defending the QB's options tight giving the D line the time they need.
Instead we say OK you are going to get the ball out quick, Here let us help you by playing off. I don't get it those first 1 - 2 seconds we should be suffocating receiving options giving AD & Co time to disrupt the play.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As soon as this season concludes, which will be after the Rams play the 17th regular-season game & the Rams missing the playoffs.

Sounds like Morris is blaming the offense for the defense's troubles. Sure, the offense should shoulder a lot of the blame. But allowing the last two teams to practically double the time of possession due to long drives is a big part of the problem. The bend and hope you don't break defense has not been working lately.

As far as changing up the defense, playing closer to line of scrimmage certainly could give them a boost. Take away what teams have done to them. But would they really do that? We thought it shoulda changed up weeks ago and they still seem resistant to change. I can guarantee another loss to SF if they don't take away the underneath middle of the field. That is SF's bread and butter. They won't get impatient and make a mistake.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Sounds like Morris is blaming the offense for the defense's troubles. Sure, the offense should shoulder a lot of the blame. But allowing the last two teams to practically double the time of possession due to long drives is a big part of the problem. The bend and hope you don't break defense has not been working lately.

As far as changing up the defense, playing closer to line of scrimmage certainly could give them a boost. Take away what teams have done to them. But would they really do that? We thought it shoulda changed up weeks ago and they still seem resistant to change. I can guarantee another loss to SF if they don't take away the underneath middle of the field. That is SF's bread and butter. They won't get impatient and make a mistake.
Morris does say the D needs to "set the tone and dictate" in many pieces I have read. It is a pretty generalized statement, i just hope he has an idea about how we can be successful in doing so. Not playing from behind will help a lot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing that has baffled me, Our D line which is our strongest and highest paid position group on Defense
is designed to get to the QB. By most accounts they are being limited by quickly developing pass plays designed to keep AD & Co. at bay.
If in deed this is the case why are we not playing tight coverages to protect AD & Co? If in deed the idea is to get the ball out quick to mitigate the pass rush we should be defending the QB's options tight giving the D line the time they need.
Instead we say OK you are going to get the ball out quick, Here let us help you by playing off. I don't get it those first 1 - 2 seconds we should be suffocating receiving options giving AD & Co time to disrupt the play.
Or maybe this front five is not as good as in the past or as we think @ getting to the QB. It could be a combination of many defensive issues that have not been addressed & continue to move in the direction of the impotence of our DC to remedy this situation.

Our front five is basically much of the same as it was last season when we were a top-rated well balanced defensive front with a few wrinkles of difference. We have seen for much of this season this front five to be lacking & not improving.

Methinks the evidence is very clear on what the issue is:whistle:. Most are very tentative & just very reluctant to post what they really think.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Or maybe this front five is not as good as in the past or as we think @ getting to the QB. It could be a combination of many defensive issues that have not been addressed & continue to move in the direction of the impotence of our DC to remedy this situation.

Our front five is basically much of the same as it was last season when we were a top-rated well balanced defensive front with a few wrinkles of difference. We have seen for much of this season this front five to be lacking & not improving.

Methinks the evidence is very clear on what the issue is. Many are very tentative & just very reluctant to post what they really think.
I wanted to suggest the Dline isn't getting the job done... but that's hard to do when the last two teams are getting the ball out faster than either QB ever has, basically.
People are rightfully looking at the coverage as the issue.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I could make a decent enough argument on behalf of his statement too. This offense is far from firing on on cylinders & running smooth enough to carry its fair share of the load. Now that's plainly on the shoulder of McVay.

I do not think any of us Ram fans would disagree that the combination work total this 2021 season of McVay/Morris has been poor when you look at the overall talent that Snead has acquired & made available to both of them.

These two main components/duo leading this team needs to be broken up ASAP after this 2021 season concludes. Both have proven to have made many flawed decisions throughout this season.

Name
SparkleStick
Now allowed to "criticize" but I will anyway. He's trash and has never been any good. He ruined our defense and he's too unintelligent to do anything to fix it. I'm on the fire Morris bandwagon. Gave him many chances this set and Im not doing it anymore.

TexasRam

Legend
This is 100% what everyone is seeing.

We are playing the perimeter WRs 8-10 yards off and over the middle covering with slow LBers dropping in zone and Rapp who is also dropping in zone and reading the QBs eyes (easily moved out of position) rather then playing the man.

With our pass rush we should be playing heavy man coverage.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don

We are playing the perimeter WRs 8-10 yards off and over the middle covering with slow LBers dropping in zone and Rapp who is also dropping in zone and reading the QBs eyes (easily moved out of position) rather then playing the man.

I just feel it is a philosophical contradiction to our personnel that we have on the field and at our disposal. When something changes and a player appears to regress I think hmm maybe they are knocked or slowing.
When several players appear to be suffering the same regression in production and effectiveness. I have to ask if maybe we are seeing something beyond personnel that is the issue.
Absolutely the past 3 games will and did put extraordinary pressure on the D, We have had injuries and trades. but something is up it appears.
Unfortunately we are seeing it on both sides of the ball

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

This is what kills me. If we knows this on a forum and media from TV to radio and basically even Aaron Rodgers eluding to it in not so many words as to say it's easy to avoid Ramsey and even had he not verbalised it he amongst others is showing you how to avoid him.

That's why I keep repeating the offense is lacking but the offense and the defense do not fit at all. The way the defense is scheming does not mesh for what we need and want to do on offense. It's counter intuitive and counter productive. The offense is not with out fault but these two styles do not mesh for what we want to do.

It's almost as if we were a quick strike offense like bang bang TD. Then this silly scheme of bend but don't break run on us for 2-4 yds, ball control, control the clock etc. Go ahead other teams we will just score on offense in 3-5 plays bang so the opposition would be hurting itself by draining the clock etc. They would have to match our offense. However we are not a quick strike offense by any means and especially after we have been decimated by injuries and even then we were healthy we were more chunk plays drive drive drive pts. If you keep the ball away from the offense and force us to get quick strike we inevitably crumble wether it's play calling or turnovers etc.

So if nothing is going to change the only way we will have a fighting chance is to always be leading ....as if it were that simple lol. That's where I think mcvay should be all over it but so far is not.

oldnotdead

Legend
Morris doesn't like playmakers on his defense. That's why he wastes Ramsey on low percentage blitzes and covering low percentage receivers. It's why he has his guys stand like statues once they drop into their zones. It's why he won't contest short passes to give his rush time.

Morris is a piss poor coach and his defense has never been good, but it's getting worse as OC's see him playing scared and take advantaged of it. They deserve their #21 ranking under Morris. Too bad they are squandering their Win Now moves with a scared rabbit like Morris at DC.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Morris doesn't like playmakers on his defense. That's why he wastes Ramsey on low percentage blitzes and covering low percentage receivers. It's why he has his guys stand like statues once they drop into their zones. It's why he won't contest short passes to give his rush time.

Morris is a piss poor coach and his defense has never been good, but it's getting worse as OC's see him playing scared and take advantaged of it. They deserve their #21 ranking under Morris. Too bad they are squandering their Win Now moves with a scared rabbit like Morris at DC.
The takes are getting beyond ridiculous.

The idea of moving Ramsey is so he can make more plays.
He already has more tackles, passes defended and interceptions than last year.

Maybe take an objective look at what he has to work with in the defensive backfield.

Or don’t.