Quick and Dirty Mock to 19 after 1st round FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think that's a good list. Don't know that Arnold get's to us at 19, not sure about Mitchell. But picking from Verse, Latu, Murphy, Newton and Fautanu would be great. What if Rams get greedy and try to trade down with these guys on board.
Love it if they move down and still get one of these guys but you can’t move down far.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not worthy of such a high pick. He’s more likely to be an elite guard than a top class left tackle, and we look pretty set along the interior with Jonah, Avila and Dotson.

Interestingly enough Fautanu has longer arms and may be a better athlete than both Alt and Fashanu (and his tiny hands).

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Interestingly enough Fautanu has longer arms and may be a better athlete than both Alt and Fashanu (and his tiny hands).
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Measurables don’t make a player. Both Alt and Fashanu are vastly superior LT prospects, in my opinion.

Memphis Ram

Legend
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Measurables don’t make a player. Both Alt and Fashanu are vastly superior LT prospects, in my opinion.
I didn't catch the late second sentence edit.

I wasn't comparing the prospects play or future potential. But now that we are there, I would suspect that Alt would look better given that his dad was a former NFL OLineman and he would have received pre-college training. But I do have concern that his height might actually hurt him vs. some defenders.

Fashanu on the other hand would probably be a poor fit as he's not a good run blocker as he seems to ends up on the ground a lot. And that game vs. Ohio State was an eye opener. Georgia's Mims did far better against those OSU DEs than Fashanu. I've noticed that his stock seems to be slipping via the media draftnik rankings while Fautanu stock is rising. It wouldn't shock me if the latter were selected ahead of the former.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Not worthy of such a high pick. He’s more likely to be an elite guard than a top class left tackle, and we look pretty set along the interior with Jonah, Avila and Dotson.
Why? I know this was said a lot before the Combine when people thought he had shorter arms but the Combine measurements dispelled the short arms myth. Any reason remaining why he wouldn't be a top LT?

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Any reason remaining why he wouldn't be a top LT?
He doesn’t always anchor well and his balance can be suspect. He has inconsistent hand placement and often looks for the “knockout blow” instead of keeping his hands moving. He can be beaten by edge rushers who can deflect that initial blow; he also struggles with flexible and speedy defenders.

I think he projects better as a guard, but I am not a professional scout.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
He doesn’t always anchor well and his balance can be suspect. He has inconsistent hand placement and often looks for the “knockout blow” instead of keeping his hands moving. He can be beaten by edge rushers who can deflect that initial blow; he also struggles with flexible and speedy defenders.

I think he projects better as a guard, but I am not a professional scout.
I see. I'm not sure he'll be an elite guard if all of that is true.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah but aside from that, he's great!

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I see. I'm not sure he'll be an elite guard if all of that is true.
He’s very much an explosive, “front foot” player. He needs to play with more patience and be more adaptable to become an elite blindside tackle.

As a guard, that aggressive “brawler” style and lack of height are less of an issue; he’s also not going to be facing the more bendy and shifty edge rushers if he plays as a guard.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fautanu should be a fantastic guard, possibly really good tackle at either side. Be curious who below us might want to trade up for him.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
He’s very much an explosive, “front foot” player. He needs to play with more patience and be more adaptable to become an elite blindside tackle.

As a guard, that aggressive “brawler” style and lack of height are less of an issue; he’s also not going to be facing the more bendy and shifty edge rushers if he plays as a guard.
It sounds like you don't feel he has the feet for OT?

The first 3 charges you made are why I'd be concerned about him being an elite guard. I agree that the aggressive style you describe will be less of an issue at OG, but not anchoring well, suspect balance, and inconsistent hand placement aren't traits an elite guard can have.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
So if we were to put a "list" together, the most desired pick for the Rams at #19 (without the guys we believe will be gone in the top 10).
Latu
Verse
Arnold
Q. Mitchell
Newton
Murphy
Fautanu.....

Am I missing anybody?
Will any of them make it to #19?
Do we believe the Rams will be taking one of those guys?
Now the list looks fine. I want a ring this year. Adding a OL to an already good starting 5 doesn't move you in that direction IMO. If we are benching AJax for a rookie and he's better, ok, but no possible way to know that. We literally have empty space at edge and DT, not to mention, we will have the same old CB's manning opposite of DWill until White is back (who knows when).

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
not anchoring well, suspect balance, and inconsistent hand placement aren't traits an elite guard can have.
But those weaknesses are less likely to be critically exposed as a guard than as an LT. You can get away with these more on the interior.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
But those weaknesses are less likely to be critically exposed as a guard than as an LT. You can get away with these more on the interior.
I don't disagree. My issue is with the word "elite." If he truly has those issues, he will just be an ok guard at best. I haven't evaluated him in depth, but if your assessment is true, I wouldn't draft him at all in the 1st.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
My issue is with the word "elite."
Those weaknesses are fixable to a certain degree and I could see him improving enough to be top class as a guard. But I very much doubt that he will improve enough to be a top class tackle.

I wouldn’t draft him in the first round, either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
McVay was seen talking to Fautanu after the Washington pro day.

I would prefer they address edge or DT over a tackle who projects to guard, or right tackle

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Can the tender to AJ be rescinded if they go OT saving them that money an putting towards a Calais Campbell or a couple of vets up front?

I'm definitely not advocating to let AJ go but more just wondering if anyone thought that could be a road they go down.