Quick and Dirty Mock to 19 after 1st round FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Feels like an edge falling to them would be best case type scenario. Hitting on an edge would be the best way to make up for the loss of AD in this front. Get a ton of pressures added to the group that route then keep plugging holes. They have 4 picks in that first hundred or so picks. What matters most is them finding the pieces they need, but I do also think certain approaches are better than others in terms of being efficient with those picks.

What worries me is if they end up reaching for that edge. But I think they know they cannot afford to screw up the top of this draft. Hitting on the picks is more important than filling specific positions. If they can add 4 quality players in the first few rounds this team will be a ton better. Maybe not ideally what they wanted, but this roster sorely needs good young up and coming talent more than anything else. So I won't be too hung up on specific positions, though I do expect defense to get at least two of those four picks up top.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know most sites have Newton after 20. I disagree with them. I see him as a 8-15 range player. He was my biggest draft crush at the end of the college season and I have circled back around to believing his a future elite penetrator. In two years with an NFL weight program he could be sculpted and improve his quickness. He will never be AD but he could be as close as anyone expects a regular player to get to that role.
Newton is still my number one hope for the Rams pick at 19.
Wow. I don't see him in that range but bully for you! It's a nice conviction. I think we'd both be very happy then if the Rams were to trade back and grab him.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Wow. I don't see him in that range but bully for you! It's a nice conviction. I think we'd both be very happy then if the Rams were to trade back and grab him.
I feel like many people are underestimating Newton. That dude is a beast and basically damn near matched Murphy's production on a fractured foot and less talented team. I think he'll be a better pro than Murphy since he has an array of pass rush moves and is looked at as advanced in hand usage. Players like that generally do very well in the NFL.

View: https://youtu.be/TItpKex8MWM?si=d2_JaIRtft6Ry8zx

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Feels like an edge falling to them would be best case type scenario. Hitting on an edge would be the best way to make up for the loss of AD in this front. Get a ton of pressures added to the group that route then keep plugging holes. They have 4 picks in that first hundred or so picks. What matters most is them finding the pieces they need, but I do also think certain approaches are better than others in terms of being efficient with those picks.

What worries me is if they end up reaching for that edge. But I think they know they cannot afford to screw up the top of this draft. Hitting on the picks is more important than filling specific positions. If they can add 4 quality players in the first few rounds this team will be a ton better. Maybe not ideally what they wanted, but this roster sorely needs good young up and coming talent more than anything else. So I won't be too hung up on specific positions, though I do expect defense to get at least two of those four picks up top.
Edge was a huge need before AD retired. I think it still is the top need. If Latu’s neck is not a problem, then he should be the pick if he’s there. The Rams could even think his neck is a gamble and just hope he holds up for the 1-3 year Super Bowl window.

However, I’m starting to hear more about him going earlier now, possibly top ten.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Edge was a huge need before AD retired. I think it still is the top need. If Latu’s neck is not a problem, then he should be the pick if he’s there. The Rams could even think his neck is a gamble and just hope he holds up for the 1-3 year Super Bowl window.

However, I’m starting to hear more about him going earlier now, possibly top ten.
Wow... a lot of tea gonna be spilled at owners meetings. Some real some not, love it!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah we both are on the same page with him. I will admit the guy isn't twitched up which is probably why he's showing on so many mocks as available. He isn't going to blow you away in that regard, but what he does is consistently affect QBs, get into the pocket and force them to move off their spot or make decisions with the ball. It's not a trick, the dude has a natural skill in that regard.

I didn't piss and moan when the Rams took a RB with a knee issue in Gurley. Ended up he had a short career too but what a player he was. So I think I'd rather have a stud where there's a bit of a dice roll than some of the lesser options. I'd rather have Latu than one of those DTs early. Now maybe one of the WRs has potentially that level of production for us, if there's one on the board who gives us some length, speed downfield, and that big play complement to the studs we have underneath. Maybe one of those corners would also be on par with Latu in terms of what they could add to this defense. Like if the Bama kid falls for example, due to that slightly slower time than expected.

But I think Latu is a slam dunk type pick. He's a player who you know what you're gonna get: pressures.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

There is honestly no reason he shouldn't be the first defender off the board. If a team is ok with his injury history, he's the best defender in this draft IMO. Turner is good, but not elite. He's an incredible athlete and could turn out as the best, but isn't currently. I'm just hopeful a few teams don't want to take any kind of risk with their 1st and he falls to us. One of Latu, Mitchell, or Murphy (in that order) falls to us and I'm very happy with it.

muggmeister

Rookie

Rams need to make Latu the pick regardless, even if we have to trade a couple of 3rd round comps to move up a few spots. Already looks like TJ Watt and Nick Bosa coming off the edge. Also solid in run support and can cover. I believe he is more than a future Pro Bowler, eventual DPOY candidate by year 3. He will make this defense feared despite losing Donald. Keep him in LA and put him in horns please. And to top things off, he already LA in his name.

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I believe a good edge like Latu, along with Kobie Turner and Byron Young, could make our D-line formidable and possibly elite. And they would have great depth at edge along with Mathis and Hampton and Hoecth, if he still plays there.

dang

Legend
Who would you be looking at at #25? I know #41 puts a lot of people realistically in play. I would like the the Rams to have THAT pick.
R1.25 Newton or DeJuan perhaps. Or Latu if he’s still available.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Starting to seem more and more likely that at least Murphy, Laiatu and Dejean will be there.

I still think Dejean could be a target and could immediate start at safety opposite Curl, outside corner if White takes a long time to come along post injury and STAR and/or nickel corner too.

My preference would be Murphy. We keep Turner in his spot and Murphy takes over 3-T for Donald. Get our edge in the 2nd.

Of course, if Verse falls, curious if he fits what Rams would want. He's a power guy, not a speed guy (but that's who they've had in that spot previously) not sure how great at OLB.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
I feel like many people are underestimating Newton. That dude is a beast and basically damn near matched Murphy's production on a fractured foot and less talented team. I think he'll be a better pro than Murphy since he has an array of pass rush moves and is looked at as advanced in hand usage. Players like that generally do very well in the NFL.

View: https://youtu.be/TItpKex8MWM?si=d2_JaIRtft6Ry8zx

and on top of all that he just goes about his business without showboating after making a big play...

TexasRam

Legend
I believe a good edge like Latu, along with Kobie Turner and Byron Young, could make our D-line formidable and possibly elite. And they would have great depth at edge along with Mathis and Hampton and Hoecth, if he still plays there.
Yea I finally got through the scouting of all these players.

If Latu falls to around the 15 range I am shipping picks and getting Latu.

We need a playmaker and Latu, with his pass rush moves and ability could be an elite player.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I’m seeing a few mocks with Verse falling to us, as teams reach for second tier QB and OT prospects.

Yes please.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So if we were to put a "list" together, the most desired pick for the Rams at #19 (without the guys we believe will be gone in the top 10).

Latu
Verse
Arnold
Q. Mitchell
Newton
Murphy
Fautanu.....

Am I missing anybody?
Will any of them make it to #19?
Do we believe the Rams will be taking one of those guys?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if we were to put a "list" together, the most desired pick for the Rams at #19 (without the guys we believe will be gone in the top 10).

Latu
Verse
Arnold
Q. Mitchell
Newton
Murphy
Fautanu.....

Am I missing anybody?
Brian Thomas Jr

Memphis Ram

Legend

Latu
Verse
Arnold
Q. Mitchell
Newton
Murphy
Fautanu.....

Am I missing anybody?
There's a chance that TE Brock Bowers is there at #19.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Latu
Verse
Arnold
Q. Mitchell
Newton
Murphy
Fautanu.....

Am I missing anybody?
I think that's a good list. Don't know that Arnold get's to us at 19, not sure about Mitchell. But picking from Verse, Latu, Murphy, Newton and Fautanu would be great. What if Rams get greedy and try to trade down with these guys on board.