QB Garrett Grayson has private workout scheduled with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Joe Flacco
Tony Romo
Ben Roethlisberger
Andy Dalton
Alex Smith

And if we're considering some big names that have played somewhat recently beyond the three year mark...you can't forget about Kurt Warner and Brett Favre. There are a lot more names to be added to the list if you keep going back.

Some people believe that small school guys worked harder to make it because they were not getting their butts kissed by major colleges since 10th grade and being told how great they are. So they were recruited by lesser schools as 2 or 3 star players and had the mindset that they had to work to improve and have more fight in them. Another ideas is that they just didn't get as close to their ceiling in high school so the major growth and development started in college.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Part of it may also be they're used to having closer competition. Their teammates aren't superior to the opposition so they're used to tighter windows and don't have first round NFL protection, etc. That they're still developing is something too. I mean we are talking about 18-20 year olds where a lot of maturity happens fast. It's such a cerebral position. There's more than one factor for sure but QB does seem to be the position where you can find the proverbial diamond in the rough perhaps more so than other positions.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the gap between Hundley/Petty and the 1st rounders is much smaller then the chasm between them and the next group

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
IMO, the gap between Hundley/Petty and the 1st rounders is much smaller then the chasm between them and the next group
I think it's Winston alone, then Mariota, small gap, Hundley, and depending on type of QB, Petty, and then the rest. That's how I see it. Not a huge gap between Mariota and Hundley when you weigh everything out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed Dieter. I do think Hundley has some bad habits not looking downfield and focusing on the rush but his athleticism and arm strength keep him on similar footing with Petty in my estimation. I prefer Petty due to his throwing ability, but would not be disappointed with Hundley since I do think Petty might go late first round or very early second round and before the Rams pick.

Below them there are a lot of issues. Which is why I have a bet going with Jrry on Mannion lol. He struggled his senior year but his junior tape was quite good, and he doesn't have some of the limitations the others have. He's kind of a Foles with lesser athleticism but some team might take him before the Graysons and others that are listed ahead of him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
its just too bad that Grayson doesn't have a stronger arm, after this past season I never want to see a weak armed qb play for the rams again.

It doesn't look weak on these throws:
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257027&gif=FaintUnimportantAmericanshorthair
http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257027&gif=OfficialOddballGorilla

He doesn't have a cannon but his arm strength is definitely functional for the NFL level. Had to make a lot of NFL throws in Colorado State's offense.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I am not firmly against drafting a QB. Just firmly against reaching for one. I'd be totally cool with them drafting Grayson in the 4th round.

Went back and watched a lot more film on Grayson. I'm changing my mind on this one. I'd take Grayson in the 2nd. This is why I always go back on prospects and watch more film. Sometimes when you see them in one viewing, you'll get a bad first impression and it'll influence your evaluation too much. Gotta take the emotion out of it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Normally, I am against mid round QB's. If we can trade down and get some extra picks, Grayson might be worth the gamble. 3rd would be great, but jrry could be right; it might take a 2.

To me, he "looks the part" in the pocket, scans the field, and doesn't look hurried doing it. I see no issues with his arm strength, and I'm one of those that places a priority on it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I should add Grayson to Denver makes a ton of sense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Went back and watched a lot more film on Grayson. I'm changing my mind on this one. I'd take Grayson in the 2nd. This is why I always go back on prospects and watch more film. Sometimes when you see them in one viewing, you'll get a bad first impression and it'll influence your evaluation too much. Gotta take the emotion out of it.

Do you like over Petty? And if so, why? I have a gut feeling the Rams are drafting Petty simply because and this is not always good, I think Fisher fell for him at the combine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you like over Petty? And if so, why? I have a gut feeling the Rams are drafting Petty simply because and this is not always good, I think Fisher fell for him at the combine.

Yep. I like Grayson A LOT more than Petty. Grayson is coming from a pro style offense rather than Briles's radical spread (so Grayson was asked to make NFL throws and reads a lot more often). Grayson is far more consistent with his ball placement and accurate. Grayson is much more poised under pressure.

There's no denying that Petty has more physical talent than Grayson. He has a far stronger arm and is more mobile but Grayson is just better in all the categories that matter the most to me.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There's no denying that Petty has more physical talent than Grayson. He has a far stronger arm and is more mobile but Grayson is just better in all the categories that matter the most to me.

Again if the Rams end up with Grayson, I'm on board, but IMO Fisher is going to want a QB a tad more mobile and Petty seems to check all the boxes plus he gets a year of OJT barring injury.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again if the Rams end up with Grayson, I'm on board, but IMO Fisher is going to want a QB a tad more mobile and Petty seems to check all the boxes plus he gets a year of OJT barring injury.

I don't see it. It's not like Foles is mobile. Plus, Petty really isn't that mobile either. Both him and Grayson are more pocket passers than anything.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Both him Grayson are more pocket passers than anything.

However, Petty is a better athlete and can take off if he needs too. Grayson does have the ability to extend the play, but Petty is stronger from that perspective. Also Foles IMO is more mobile than given credit for and Snead spoke about that and his basketball background that some had forgotten about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, Petty is a better athlete and can take off if he needs too. Grayson does have the ability to extend the play, but Petty is stronger from that perspective. Also Foles IMO is more mobile than given credit for and Snead spoke about that and his basketball background that some had forgotten about.

Either guy can take off. Neither guy is going to be doing a lot of damage with their legs at the NFL level.

Regardless, I don't see where that will make the difference. Especially considering how much more advanced Grayson is in the important parts of QBing.

As far as Foles is concerned, the guy is definitely not any more mobile than Garrett Grayson.

Could the Rams draft Petty? Sure. But I'd call it a very bad move. Grayson isn't perfect but he's far better than Petty where it counts.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yep. I like Grayson A LOT more than Petty. Grayson is coming from a pro style offense rather than Briles's radical spread (so Grayson was asked to make NFL throws and reads a lot more often). Grayson is far more consistent with his ball placement and accurate. Grayson is much more poised under pressure.

Completely agree and IMO Grayson can be gotten one or two rounds later.

BTW if anyone has seen the preludes to Winston's pro day , he was getting weighed with hi s shirt off if my body had looked as loose/ flabby as his does at 20 and being a potential pro athlete ,I'd be ashamed. Needs to lay off the butter with his crab legs:cool:

Stel

Starter
Completely agree and IMO Grayson can be gotten one or two rounds later.

I don't think Grayson makes it past Denver in the third round, maybe even second. From what I've read, they really like him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't think Grayson makes it past Denver in the third round, maybe even second. From what I've read, they really like him.
I'd agree that it may be we'd need to move to the bottom of the second , but unless Denver is ahead of us in the third IMO we can wait till the third. But so far I thought the Bronco's were satisfied with Osweiler ,I saw him live in their scrimmage at Invesco two years ago, I thoight his accuracy and zip on the ball was so far below Mannings it was in a word pathetic., but wadoino?