QB comp you didn't see coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Goff has a very sound supporting cast and OL, he can do very well. And you might say that's the same for all QBs... well not really.

Wentz, Dak, they can screw up a good supporting cast, but might be able to do more than Goff if things break down around them. We'll maybe not Wentz anymore, but there are QBs that can make something out of trash. Goff won't do that, but he can excel better than most when he does have all the tools at his disposal.
All things being equal, if every quarterback had the same protection and weapons Goff is top ten if those things are good. If those things aren't good Goff probably drops to bottom ten.

Which is why people say he can't elevate his team. But how many out there can elevate their team? You can probably count on one had how many. You can win with Goff if you give him some support. The Rams certainly did.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I genuinely can't think of a QB that has had this much success and recieved this little credit. I mean I never thought the guy was the Brady/Rodgers/Mahomes level but lord the way fans and media react to him it's like anything positive happens in spite of him or due to someone else and everything negative is due to his limitations. Anything positive is met with a "well, but..." or a "That's only because of this reason".

We'll sit here and simultaneously complain that our o-line is so bad no qb could succeed behind it while largely believing Goff's success is almost exclusively due to Detroit's O-line but Detroit ranked 18th in pass-blocking win rate while we ranked 13th. You're seeing things the way you want to see them.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I always loved him." ~ LACHAMP46
Banner4.jpg

Flint

Pro Bowler
Goff’s resurgence is really interesting, he was mentioned as an mvp candidate when the Rams offense burst on the scene and was almost unstoppable, Then Fangio and Belichek figured it out and McVay wanted a guy who could do it on his own and shipped him out of town. The Rams went to shotgun and empty sets and let Stafford figure it out and rode that to the super bowl. Now defenses are adjusting to teams like the Rams throwing it all over the place and running the ball is fashionable again and Goff and the play action is working again.
Detroit is legit but can you win it all without a big time qb? Maybe, but it doesn’t seem as likely.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont care what kind of stats, numbers or wins he puts up. He'll never be as good as Dreaj Foge

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know what you’re saying and I agree with you but just who has Burrow elevated? Chase, Higgins, Boyd or Mixon?
I think we all agree he elevates the Boy George apparel! " I shake my little tush on the catwalk" says Right said Fred!
1674864006954.png

oldnotdead

Legend
there are QBs that can make something out of trash. Goff won't do that,

Did you watch the Rams in 2019? What was that in front of Goff pretending to be an OL? Yet he finished with a winning record and would have made the playoffs if Greg Zuerlein hadn't shanked that last second game winning kick. Goff drove the team into positions with just seconds remaining and Greg the leg fucked up the kick.

Goff carried that offense behind the worst OL in the NFL. Go back and watch that season and then say he can't carry a team. They finished with 9 wins. I watched him behind a pretty bad OL in 2021 and he put that team in a position to win in 6 games only to have the defense to give up a final game winning drive in half of them. Goff was carrying the offense by being the offense. Goff isn't Mahomes or Josh Allen, his style is different than both but it isn't to say he's not as good. Goff proved that in 2018 in Mexico City.

The Lion's #1 WR is Amon-Ra St. Brown who was a 4th round pick slated by many to be a #3 or 4 WR. At 5'11" running a 4.5-4.6 his predraft evaluations were lukewarm at best. After two years St Brown is the Lion's #1 WR. Why? Because Goff who leaned on Robert Woods with the Rams made St. Brown his "guy". As a result, St. Brown has elevated his game to be a legitimate #1 WR. That is more than enough proof to refute the idea Goff doesn't elevate the play of guys around him.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
great season Jared Goff and I trust you’ll have several more, even better

josh Allen is a badass

both are true

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of us already knew that if we built up the line and played to Goff's strengths, we would have an offense capable of winning it all. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We started off with a good line but didn't fill in the holes when our players left and the offense suffered.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
when everything breaks down
Goff = Safford, or vice-versa
train

Yeah. It’s funny to me people say Goff does better with a line and/or run game. That’s going to be true for any QB.

My feeling on Goff is he processes things a tad slowly. He’s got a crazy good arm and accuracy though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My feeling on Goff is he processes things a tad slowly. He’s got a crazy good arm and accuracy though.
I think that’s it, but we are talking micro-seconds slower than the best, and he’s probably micro-seconds faster than Kyler Murray.

I watched one of Detroits final regular season games and Goff looked like a machine. Literally. His head pivoting to each read like his neck was a servo motor.

A good offensive line let’s him do his work. And, in that environment he’s pretty damn good.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that’s it, but we are talking micro-seconds slower than the best, and he’s probably micro-seconds faster than Kyler Murray.

I watched one of Detroits final regular season games and Goff looked like a machine. Literally. His head pivoting to each read like his neck was a servo motor.

A good offensive line let’s him do his work. And, in that environment he’s pretty damn good.
Last season I always wanted to see what Jared Goff looked like in The Rams offense in comparison to Stafford.
Those 3 pick 6’s in 3 games in a row as an example.Not saying I was complaining,just the picks The Rams have given up hurts.
Goff was hard to explain,but the thing he does is go through each progression staying with it longer. His pocket presence was not great.

I will use Purdy as an example & Sunday compare Hurt vs. Purdy.IMO Purdy takes his time,but bails out at the right time.He just doesn’t read the field like Jared Goff.
Jalen Hurt has always been like an extra (strong) RB who does ok at QB.Good arm,but not great in his progressions.
Going to find it interesting what happens with both QB’s. Think Philly will pick on the 9ers CB Ward.
Should be fun. Do wish The Rams & Lions played again each other healthy say opening game instead of the Bills. IMO The Rams season would have been big time different.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff just couldn’t do what McVay wanted to accomplish in his system/offense.
You could say the same thing about Stafford this year. I will give credit to Stafford for having more guts than Goff. The guy is not afraid to take chances and has the mojo that only the very best quarterbacks have. But Goff is damn good and always has been. Period.

Ram65

Legend
I stated before that Goff needed to work/study harder. It looks like he has. Sure he needs good protection but, I think he has a much better idea of where to go with the ball and will scan the field faster with faster decision-making. Goff can look forward to an improved Lions team that is loaded in the 2023 draft. That's a total of 5 picks in the first 81.

Detroit Lions Draft Picks by Round in 2023​

• Round 1, Pick 6 overall (from LAR)
  • Round 1, Pick 18 overall
  • Round 2, Pick 48 overall
  • Round 2, Pick 59 overall (from MIN)
  • Round 3, Pick 81 overall
  • Round 5, Pick 149 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 169 overall (from DEN)
  • Round 6, Pick 180 overall