QB comp you didn't see coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Goff really hit his stride this season, that's for sure.

I was frustrated when Goff struggled his last year with the Rams. But I'm glad he's got his mojo back. Goff is gonna kill it next year with the Lions.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The passing stats look good, but the rushing ability skews the comparison a little.
Goff is looking good and will have more skill around him next year and probably a better defense. Detroit should be a good young team next year and built to contend for years.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Goff just couldn’t do what McVay wanted to accomplish in his system/offense.
Still…very glad for him.
He’s a good dude, and talented.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Goff was always a good QB when he had a good line in front of him. The lions have a fantastic line and running game. I still don't think Goff is the type of QB that elevates the players around him like a burrow or mahomes but he's definitely a good QB

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So if you’re building a franchise which one do you take? These numbers don’t mean Jack when comparing them.

I’d take Allen without hesitation.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Goff was always a good QB when he had a good line in front of him. The lions have a fantastic line and running game. I still don't think Goff is the type of QB that elevates the players around him like a burrow or mahomes but he's definitely a good QB
I know what you’re saying and I agree with you but just who has Burrow elevated? Chase, Higgins, Boyd or Mixon?

oldnotdead

Legend
I still don't think Goff is the type of QB that elevates the players around him

Based upon what? Even with that clown show of an OL in front of him in 2019 he still had a winning record. He came within a makable missed FG when he moved the Rams into position in the final seconds which would have gotten them into the playoffs. Jared never had a losing season under McVay. Everyone gives the credit to McVay for those winning seasons but ignores Goff's contribution. In 2018 going head to head with Mahomes he beat him at his own game in a slugfest. IMO that proved beyond all doubt that Goff was a hell of a QB. IMO that was the best game I've ever seen in my life. Even in his first year in Detroit with a poor OL the Lions lost games they had leads in by giving up a final winning drive by the opposition in 2 or 3 games. They would have ended with a 6-11 record. Talk to people in Detroit and they will tell you differently. Jared isn't a diva, he's more like Donald. Both lead by example. If you say Donald doesn't elevate the guys around him that would be wrong. AD elevates them by his commitment and his play. Goff is the same way.

The difference is McVay set Goff up to fail by not allowing him to audible or read the defenses, by not building the offense around him to play to Goff's strengths. Sean did it for Stafford and he even did it for Mayfield in ways he never did for Goff. That is why IMO Mayfield will be the starter in 2024 and be successful where Goff wasn't. It wasn't because Goff wasn't a good QB, but because he was the QB McVay inherited and was not "his" QB in the way Stafford is and I think Mayfield would be as well. The Rams will end up with a Goff equivalent QB in Mayfield which IMO isn't a bad thing at all. IMO Mayfield and Goff are very comparable QBs. That is to say, if a coach plays to their strengths, they can take you to the big game.

McVay won with Goff without designing the offense around Jared's skillset. With Mayfield he will have an equally talented QB but this time because he would be his choice, Sean will design his offense to fit Baker's skillset. I honestly feel that the SB loss in 2018 despite McVay rightly assuming the blame, always held it against Jared. There is a different vibe about McVay when he's dealing with Stafford and Mayfield than it was with Goff. It happens and why in the long run it probably will end up best for McVay, Goff, Stafford and perhaps Mayfield.

Goff closed out last season as easily a top 10 QB that year. It showed just how good he can be. I think he will continue in that way and Detroit has their franchise QB. Stafford IMO is damaged goods. His tendonitis and spinal contusion are yellow flags. Tendonitis can trouble an athlete his entire career. A spinal contusion normally takes close to a full year to heal completely. Stafford will be returning early. At Stafford's age, those things can't be ignored. If Les Snead is smart he will sign Mayfield as a backup this year, with the condition he will be the starter in 2024. Like I've said previously, I think that was a big factor in getting McVay to stay.

Stafford will get one last shot at a ring. Even if he falls short, he will have achieved everything he wanted to do in LA. The next stop will be in the booth. Goff is a QB Holmes can build a team around. With a better defense, the Lions are a playoff contending team with Goff as their QB. Mayfield gets a team that wants him, one of the best coaches in the NFL with a solid team on both sides of the ball. Baker ends up on a legit SB contending team. He will get the last laugh at both Cleveland and Carolina as he probably will win a Lombardi before either of those teams.

God I love happy endings!

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Goff is a solid QB. I wish him nothing but the best.
If Goff has a very sound supporting cast and OL, he can do very well. And you might say that's the same for all QBs... well not really.

Wentz, Dak, they can screw up a good supporting cast, but might be able to do more than Goff if things break down around them. We'll maybe not Wentz anymore, but there are QBs that can make something out of trash. Goff won't do that, but he can excel better than most when he does have all the tools at his disposal.

nighttrain

Legend
If Goff has a very sound supporting cast and OL, he can do very well. And you might say that's the same for all QBs... well not really.

Wentz, Dak, they can screw up a good supporting cast, but might be able to do more than Goff if things break down around them. We'll maybe not Wentz anymore, but there are QBs that can make something out of trash. Goff won't do that, but he can excel better than most when he does have all the tools at his disposal.
when everything breaks down
Goff = Safford, or vice-versa
train

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
when everything breaks down
Goff = Safford, or vice-versa
train
Yeah, but if things are not too bad, but not perfect, Stafford can probably make a few throws Goff can't make. And I was not a fan of the trade, but I can see that last yr Goff doesn't take us to the SB, where as Stafford did and was the difference maker they needed to get over the hump.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Allen is a much better scrambler. You have to account for his ability to pick up first downs with his legs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The comparison omits rushing stats, which skews it. Allen is better. But Goff has been underrated for years due to his rookie struggles as a #1 pick. I'm glad he bounced back this year. He's not an elite QB, but if you give him some help, he can run a very effective offense. IMO, the only year he hindered this team was 2020. As best as I can tell, the issues between him and McVay wrecked his confidence that year.

nighttrain

Legend
The comparison omits rushing stats, which skews it. Allen is better. But Goff has been underrated for years due to his rookie struggles as a #1 pick. I'm glad he bounced back this year. He's not an elite QB, but if you give him some help, he can run a very effective offense. IMO, the only year he hindered this team was 2020. As best as I can tell, the issues between him and McVay wrecked his confidence that year.
Blythe was a freaking turnstyle
train

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Good for Goff man. I was MORE THAN thrilled when he left and we got Stafford.

But I'm glad he's doing good.

A rare trade where both teams won.