QB comp you didn't see coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lions team that is loaded in the 2023 draft. That's a total of 5 picks in the first 81.

Detroit Lions Draft Picks by Round in 2023
  • Round 1, Pick 6 overall (from LAR)
  • Round 1, Pick 18 overall
  • Round 2, Pick 48 overall
  • Round 2, Pick 59 overall (from MIN)
  • Round 3, Pick 81 overall
  • Round 5, Pick 149 overall
  • Round 6, Pick 169 overall (from DEN)
  • Round 6, Pick 180 overall

Wow. They should get some serious contributors out of that.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Allen is an MVP candidate, but a bit overrated.

Goff is a very solid NFL starting QB, and frequently underrated.

Stafford is one of two QBs to win a Super Bowl with the Rams, and need not be part of the discussion.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it's a case of Goff being humiliated when the Rams traded him. Maybe it lit a fire that drove him to improve his game.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but if things are not too bad, but not perfect, Stafford can probably make a few throws Goff can't make. And I was not a fan of the trade, but I can see that last yr Goff doesn't take us to the SB, where as Stafford did and was the difference maker they needed to get over the hump.
Stafford has the mentality to take the risks on the last drive of the SB to win. Goff no effin way. It is all in the head. I don't think Mahomes risks that no look pass past Bell's head to Kupp.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe it's a case of Goff being humiliated when the Rams traded him. Maybe it lit a fire that drove him to improve his game.
I am sure it woke him up. He probably got a little complacent.

oldnotdead

Legend
You cannot compare Goff in LA and Goff in Detroit. Two different schemes and two different coaches. In LA McVay stifled Goff by micromanaging his play. He didn't trust him to read defenses so he stayed in his ear in the huddle until it was too late to change the play. So Goff was forced to run the play, good or bad and when it was bad he got the blame just like people here are doing.

In Detroit, he's been allowed to read the defenses and change the play to get out of a bad one. In Detroit, he has a HC and OC willing to play to Goff's strength, something McVay refused to do. Yet it's something McVay has done for Stafford and even Mayfield. Goff gets them to the Super Bowl in 2018. What does McVay do? He dismantles the OL and gives Goff the worst OL in the NFL to play behind. So who gets the blame for the poor performance in 2019? Not McVay, but Goff. Even on the sideline, it was clear Goff was Sean's whipping boy. But even then Goff still got the Rams a winning record and came within a missed FG of getting the team into the playoffs in 2019. Jared's reward was to get traded to a franchise with a reputation for being a doormat.

How has Goff responded? He's helped raise their play to become one of the more exciting teams in the NFL. Going into his third year the Lions under Goff are expected to be a playoff contender this year. For those who claim Goff can't raise the play of those around him just look at how the Lion offense has played under Goff, i.e. far better than most expected.

So those that love to compare Goff under McVay and Goff under Campbell don't seem to understand it's apples and oranges. Any conclusions drawn about his play in LA are suspect at best. McVay did a lot to sabotage Goff and he certainly did little to help him. In fact a case can be made McVay has done more in a shorter time to help Mayfield than he did to help Goff. McVay has been on record saying he took things Baker does well and tried to incorporate those concepts into the offense. The results are Baker wins 2 of the last 5 with backups, i.e. McVay played to Mayfield's strengths, something he refused to do with Goff.

This is why I would be surprised if Baker isn't the Ram QB in 2024 and is successful under McVay. But it is not to say the Rams couldn't have been successful with Goff had McVay simply played to Goff's strengths in the same way he has done with Mayfield.

McVay, please take note that Goff can indeed read defenses. He did so at Cal and he's been doing just fine in Detroit for two years where he's allowed to change the play at the LOS if he sees a problem. So it basically places a whole lot of those INTs back on McVay's lap. Goff wasn't a turnover machine at Cal and he's not in Detroit, only under micro-managing McVay., hmmmm....

I really like Sean but I'm not blind to his faults one of those being his QB must be one he wants not inherits.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I stated before that Goff needed to work/study harder. It looks like he has. Sure he needs good protection but, I think he has a much better idea of where to go with the ball and will scan the field faster with faster decision-making. Goff can look forward to an improved Lions team that is loaded in the 2023 draft. That's a total of 5 picks in the first 81.

Detroit Lions Draft Picks by Round in 2023​

Heard on the radio here last week..."picks are great until they become players".

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I know what you’re saying and I agree with you but just who has Burrow elevated? Chase, Higgins, Boyd or Mixon?
I'd argue yes. Burrow had a terrible oline last year yet they made it to the SB. He also had more wins in the playoffs than mahomes

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Goff was always a good QB when he had a good line in front of him. The lions have a fantastic line and running game. I still don't think Goff is the type of QB that elevates the players around him like a burrow or mahomes but he's definitely a good QB
Seems to me Goff did a pretty good job of elevating the Detroit offense. And for that matter the Rams offense in 2017. Detroit was mainly a bunch of guys no one had ever heard of until all of a sudden they're one of the top offenses in the league. No question Goff is the leader of the group who pulled it all together and is executing at a very high level.

No, a qb can't do it by himself. So what? We've known that for a long time. We had some more proof with the 2022 Rams.

Time to give Goff some credit. He's playing great. Detroit is going to be a real threat going forward.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'd argue yes. Burrow had a terrible oline last year yet they made it to the SB. He also had more wins in the playoffs than mahomes
Burrow had some pretty good receivers. Mahomes was not very successful a couple of years ago when the KC oline cratered.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I stated before that Goff needed to work/study harder. It looks like he has. Sure he needs good protection but, I think he has a much better idea of where to go with the ball and will scan the field faster with faster decision-making. Goff can look forward to an improved Lions team that is loaded in the 2023 draft. That's a total of 5 picks in the first 81.

Detroit Lions Draft Picks by Round in 2023​

Brad Holmes is a masterful GM. Can't think of anyone I'd rather have making the picks.

I'll be surprised if four of the top five picks don't go to their D. At least three, and probably both of the first rounders.

Then watch out. Detroit will have a D to go with their already top five offense.

Ram65

Legend
Heard on the radio here last week..."picks are great until they become players".

Great quote and often true but,

Brad Holmes is a masterful GM. Can't think of anyone I'd rather have making the picks.

I'll be surprised if four of the top five picks don't go to their D. At least three, and probably both of the first rounders.

Then watch out. Detroit will have a D to go with their already top five offense.

the Lions have been doing very well with building their squad. I also think they make some solid picks. It would be hard to not at least get 2-3 picks right in that top 5.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I think Goff needed a kick in the ass instead of being ' The Golden Boy' bullshit. He has some fire and focus now and I'm happy for him! As many did 2 years ago predicting the Lions should be start peaking about this year especially with those 2 first rounders. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of team they put together there.

p.s. @FarNorth they need to get a top TE for Goff in those top 2.5 rounds.