Probably a dumb question, but does the league get involved with this mess?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
I'm just wondering if Goodell made (or will make) a call to Kroenke to "recommend" certain changes. I doubt it, yes, but it makes one wonder a bit. As big as the Rams' relocation was, does the league want to already be seeing so much apathy after only three games in Los Angeles?

Or will the NFL wait to see an obvious decline in LA-area ratings and how many Coliseum no-shows there are for the Miami game? While the tickets are already sold out for the season and the actual attendance numbers are withheld, the NFL knows what those numbers will be. And there are a lot more dollars to go around than just the price of those tickets....dollars the team/league won't be getting if people already start turning away in that town. The negativity surrounding the Rams offense and their head coach right now is on a national spotlight. Kroenke might not care, based on the winning percentage of all the teams in his financial portfolio, but I think the league does care about this team...especially at this time.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
So, let me get this straight... you're wondering if the league will ask Kroenke to make a coaching change or a quarterback change??

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No offense but that's a silly post . You might want to delete it before you get ridiculed.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
No, I don't think the NFL office interferes in team operations in that way. Besides, suggesting making team changes strictly for business reason is a good way to continue the rams run at mediocrity.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I doubt they interfere.... and if they do it has not helped Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo and the Jets to name a few lol.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The NFL with never do such a thing. That could be considered colluding. Stan knows that LA fans wont put up with a crappy team. If Fisher is indeed the issue at hand he'll part ways with him and move on. I'm not worried about it.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
The NFL with never do such a thing. That could be considered colluding. Stan knows that LA fans wont put up with a crappy team. If Fisher is indeed the issue at hand he'll part ways with him and move on. I'm not worried about it.
Very good point about collusion and anti trust laws that would be broken. Sometimes I forget that all these teams are technically separate organizations.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
200.gif
200.gif
200.gif

JackStraw

Rookie
It is kind of weird/suspicious that the Shield is painted at midfield for Ram's home games

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I wouldn't doubt conversations occur between owners and NFL brass about all kinds of things like performance and the fan draw but I'm sure the NFL wouldn't pretend they know how to run a team better than an organization. Now do teams do favors for the NFL like draft a certain player for PR reasons (wink, wink)? I'd venture that has happened recently.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I wouldn't doubt conversations occur between owners and NFL brass about all kinds of things like performance and the fan draw but I'm sure the NFL wouldn't pretend they know how to run a team better than an organization. Now do teams do favors for the NFL like draft a certain player for PR reasons (wink, wink)? I'd venture that has happened recently.
Some may say the OP's question is silly,but Knowing the NFL
I wouldn't say it would be impossible

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They should just leave the USC stuff on the field since they are at times a bit "amateurish".
That QB from SC, Darnold, is big time...

I wouldn't put anything past the owners...but only if it revolves around losing money would the commish step in and fix this mess...Think of a train wreck...the other owners are laughing at Stan. He better have insurance...or he's fucked.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Kroenke is disinclined to fire veteran coaches because he favors stability in getting his business assets to appreciate.

His son is more aggressive. He fired George Karl after a fairly successful season because he didn't think Karl would be able to get the team to that Championship level. Thus, while Karl wasn't exactly Schottenheimer in SD, he was coming off of a 50+ win season (54 I think) and a decent showing in the playoffs with a young nucleus. But the younger Kroenke wanted a PATH to a Championship. He doesn't seem to buy into the veteran coach speak.

Hopefully, Stan talks with his son about Fisher and takes that to heart.

The younger Kroenke seems to believe that winning appreciates sports business assets.

I tend to agree with the younger Kroenke...ESPECIALLY in the LA market. Look at the Clippers and how their fortunes changed when they started to win. Look at the Kings and when they started to win. LA has had teams that lost, but once they started to win, their fortunes...skyrocketed. Stan can't be ignorant of this.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know some would think this was a silly post--as most are when the OP types as he thinks haha. And there are plenty of other teams who have been as inept as the Rams...and for longer. But they didn't just move into a new (well, not exactly "new") city. Look at San Francisco. Levi Stadium is less than two years old and even the season opener was half-empty. The luster is gone. And the luster of the Rams back in LA might not be far behind.

Anyway, like I said, I doubt the conversation would take place...but I don't doubt for a minute that Goodell, at least occasionally, speaks to individual owners about the state of their teams and the league's financial "stake" in it...especially considering the NFL's stake in Los Angeles as well as Kroenke and Goodell likely being closer-knit than other owners right now.