Pressure washer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I pulled the trigger on a Greenworks 2300 Electric at Lowe’s with the surface cleaner. Not nearly the power of gas but was perfect for what I needed and much cheaper. Thanks for all the wisdom, gang.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The best way to do driveways and big deck areas are with a rotary. Something like this.

My recommendation is something like 2700 PSI 2-3 GPM, gas-operated. And since you are using it for home use, that disk will work fine for you. Also, never leave the unit to run for more than 5 minutes without pulling the trigger to release pressure. You can burn out the pump.
I got the rotary last year. That's the way to do flat horizontal surfaces like decks and drive ways.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
The lower the PSI the longer it takes to clean a surface....but you have to be careful with a big washer so that you don't damage what you are cleaning...

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
The lower the PSI the longer it takes to clean a surface....but you have to be careful with a big washer so that you don't damage what you are cleaning...
Very ture. At the same time though you have to have enough power to do the task. For example, I seriously doubt my concrete patio would have came out as clean had I used a consumer electric washer.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
BTW, if you plan on doing your driveway with that little GreenWorks, plan on 3 days. :)

Buy bigger than what you think you need. Because somewhere down the line you will wish you had.

You're so right. I got a 1800PSI model and it takes me several hours to do my 2 car driveway. I don't pre-spray it or anything, but I'm thinking I might in the future so I don't have to do such small rows to clean.

With a 4k psi model? oh yeah... that'd be nice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You're so right. I got a 1800PSI model and it takes me several hours to do my 2 car driveway. I don't pre-spray it or anything, but I'm thinking I might in the future so I don't have to do such small rows to clean.

The surface cleaner attachment makes a big difference in time spent.

CeeZar

Rookie
This is a link to a crazy person that has spent HOURS and HOURS evaluating pressure washers and equipment and various combinations.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/#
Spreadsheet
One of his MANY videos

I bought this little guy last year. I wanted a small footprint and something that would easily store on a shelf in the garage. This is mostly for car and house washing but it does get used on the deck and driveway. It works fine on the deck, but I'm don't know if I will just rent a gas version next time I do the driveway or buy an attachment.

1619529442962.png

I also bought a few accessories that make a big difference in the way I use it and if I ever upgrade the washer, all of the upgrades can still be used.

Improved gun and wand extension. I also bought some quick disconnects - much easier to hold down for extended period and easy to pop off the extension.
1619529769186.png
1619529816904.png

50FT hose so I can park the washer in one spot and easily get around cars. It is also more flexible and easier to stow than the hose that came with the unit.
1619529936663.png

Foam Cannon - if you are going to wash cars, get a foam cannon and some good soap intended for a foam cannon. I've been using the Adam's Ultra Foam. Spend a few minutes on youtube watching folks use a foam cannon. I've gotten excellent results on the cars with this shampoo and cannon. Since my washer is a bit underpowered, I also bought a larger orafice for the foam cannon as well as a different set of tips for the washer itself so it would output more water at lower pressure when washing the car. This helps with rinse time. I use the included tips when pressure washing the driveway or things like the underside of my mower deck, etc.

1619530119225.png
1619530143024.png

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David

Doing the driveway works best during a nice slow rain storm. Not a thunderstorm, just a nice long rain.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Buy bigger than what you think you need. Because somewhere down the line you will wish you had.
This is very true.
My recommendation is something like 2700 PSI 2-3 GPM, gas-operated. And since you are using it for home use, that disk will work fine for you. Also, never leave the unit to run for more than 5 minutes without pulling the trigger to release pressure. You can burn out the pump.
Also very good advice.

@12intheBox I realize you already bought the electric model. If it works for you, that is all that matters.

But there is a lot of good advice here. It is hard to go wrong with a Honda motor. Gear drive pumps require water running through them to cool and will seize if you let the pump run too long without water going through. Belt drives don't tend to have that issue. Surface cleaning attachments not only do a quicker job but give you a much more consistent finished product. Multiple nozzles are great. You can go from gentle fan, to drilling holes depending on the nozzle. I'm not a fan of adjustable nozzles.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This is very true.

Also very good advice.

@12intheBox I realize you already bought the electric model. If it works for you, that is all that matters.

But there is a lot of good advice here. It is hard to go wrong with a Honda motor. Gear drive pumps require water running through them to cool and will seize if you let the pump run too long without water going through. Belt drives don't tend to have that issue. Surface cleaning attachments not only do a quicker job but give you a much more consistent finished product. Multiple nozzles are great. You can go from gentle fan, to drilling holes depending on the nozzle. I'm not a fan of adjustable nozzles.

If cost were the same I would have gone gas - but I couldn’t justify the extra $150-200 for what I’m using it for. I just didn’t really need the power.

The way I am with these kind of things, this fucker will be broken in 3 years either way.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
If cost were the same I would have gone gas - but I couldn’t justify the extra $150-200 for what I’m using it for. I just didn’t really need the power.

The way I am with these kind of things, this fucker will be broken in 3 years either way.
Remind me to never let you borrow my pressure washer. :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Remind me to never let you borrow my pressure washer. :)
Yeah... Making sure someone actually keeps water running through that pump is enough to not loan mine out. I've had it for over 10 years with no problems. Knocking on wood.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am with you on that! Every damn piece of equipment Ive bought in the last 10 years is shot after a few uses, and I do follow all maintenance instructions. (Snowblower, chainsaw, leaf blower, edger etc)
But I'll be damned that the leaf blower Ive had for 20 years, never maintain it, no oil, air filter fell out years ago, will just about start on the first pull even after sitting for 6 months with old gas still in the tank....

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Yeah... Making sure someone actually keeps water running through that pump is enough to not loan mine out. I've had it for over 10 years with no problems. Knocking on wood.
So what model do you actually have? I’m in the market.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Something Star. I don't recall the name and it's in storage.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am with you on that! Every damn piece of equipment Ive bought in the last 10 years is shot after a few uses, and I do follow all maintenance instructions. (Snowblower, chainsaw, leaf blower, edger etc)
But I'll be damned that the leaf blower Ive had for 20 years, never maintain it, no oil, air filter fell out years ago, will just about start on the first pull even after sitting for 6 months with old gas still in the tank....
Funny. I have my old Toro blower and Toro commercial mower and Shindaiwa hedge shears that I bought just before my wife and I got married. We just celebrated our 34th anniversary so....

They are certainly showing their age but the things still run almost like they were new. I probably should get air filters for them some day. Meh... Maybe next year.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Something Star. I don't recall the name and it's in storage.
Northstar? Honda engines but pricey (for me).
3200, 3600 and 4200 PSI for $900, $1200 and $1400 respectively.

Edit. OTTH maybe not. Looking into it, your not getting anything over 3000 psi with a Honda engine for less than $600-700.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Northstar? Honda engines but pricey (for me).
3200, 3600 and 4200 PSI for $900, $1200 and $1400 respectively.

Edit. OTTH maybe not. Looking into it, your not getting anything over 3000 psi with a Honda engine for less than $600-700.
Northstar is the one I have. Good little unit. It comes with several nozzles.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Doing the driveway works best during a nice slow rain storm. Not a thunderstorm, just a nice long rain.

Good luck getting that in Florida... it's either sunny or coming down like a monsoon... and that's all in a 15 minute period...