Power cut to 1.5 million Californians

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes summer time is much more pleasant here. But I'd trade you for the months of December- February!;)
Our winter power bills are cut in half during the months of November through March. We do not use much to any heat in a very large home. The fireplace is used as the primary heat source. Believe it or not our bedroom AC window unit runs throughout the year when sleeping.

Fact is Ac unit is running now in the mancave as I post. We want to start spending our summer months up in the high mountains of TN or VA if possible. I need to be up at least over 4000 feet, just got to come up with a good plan.o_O

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our winter power bills are cut in half during the months of November through March. We do not use much to any heat in a very large home. The fireplace is used as the primary heat source. Believe it or not our bedroom AC window unit runs throughout the year when sleeping.

Fact is Ac unit is running now in the mancave as I post. We want to start spending our summer months up in the high mountains of TN or VA if possible. I need to be up at least over 4000 feet, just got to come up with a good plan.o_O
Boone, NC is over 3000 ft. and Asheville, NC is around 2000 ft. and both have very comfortable nights. Maggie Valley, NC is about 3000 ft. To be comfortable in the summer you won't need 4000-6000 ft altitude. Also the roads up that high could be challenging as in time driving and a long drop down into the valley.:) They also wash out a lot up there. It is beautiful and the summer breezes are the very best and that is throughout the TN-NC mountains. Whenever we have a spell of the midwest type summer weather we head over to the Smokies. One of the very best things about living here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boone, NC is over 3000 ft. and Asheville, NC is around 2000 ft. and both have very comfortable nights. Maggie Valley, NC is about 3000 ft. To be comfortable in the summer you won't need 4000-6000 ft altitude. Also the roads up that high could be challenging as in time driving and a long drop down into the valley.:) They also wash out a lot up there. It is beautiful and the summer breezes are the very best and that is throughout the TN-NC mountains. Whenever we have a spell of the midwest type summer weather we head over to the Smokies. One of the very best things about living here.
I had an uncle that lived in Maggie Valley for the last two decades of his long life. He was a marine through-out the entire WW2 in the Pacific hitting island after island he hated the heat. That's why he left Los Angeles CA when he retired from GM.

I was his only Nephew so my wife & I plus daughters spent a lot of time in MV with him. It's wonderful! I like it better in dead winter:D! Boone is nice but a college town environment is not my cup of tea.

I am retired now, so I do not care if the roads get real rough up high I will utilize my ATV's or use my 4x4 trucks to adapt ...or hunker down enjoy the seclusion & sit in front of the fireplace & burn deadwood or sit on my front porch & swing. :cool:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
California is beautiful... but good golly does it seem 3rd world in some ways.

Why this is tolerated, I have no idea. People seem to accept they HAVE to take care of themselves and go solar?

Nuts it appears you’ve been forced to this. It would feel different if by choice... doesn’t seem so.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

Why this is tolerated, I have no idea. People seem to accept they HAVE to take care of themselves and go solar?

Nuts it appears you’ve been forced to this. It would feel different if by choice... doesn’t seem so.
Oh, CGI, it would violate the rules of this forum to fully discuss it.
But you are right. Why, collectively, do we tolerate it?

oldnotdead

Legend
When I lived in San Diego, it was too expensive to run the AC and believe me there were days we needed it. So 6 months after I bought the house, I had a gas generator install and had an electrician hook the AC up to it. I also had a box to allow the entire house to be powered by it if necessary. My AC bill went from $400/mo yeah you read that right!! To the cost of a few gallons of gas. I could now run my AC to my hearts content for 10% or less of the cost of electricity.

The lesson is you don't have to be a prepper to simply be prepared. I can't tell you how many times during brown outs my son's friends and my friends would come over to watch TV, have a cold brew and in my son's case to play video games. IMO it's simply common sense. How many of those people who suffered shutdowns will go out and buy electrical backups now? A few percent maybe. My system cost me less than $6K which all went on one CC. I could have gone even cheaper but I had the income so I didn't worry about it. I've got a small Honda generator on my balcony here in Mex. Enough to run the fridge a few lights, TV and computers (TV & computer separately). Phone is by cell so I'm covered. Occasional blackouts happen here in MX but they never last very long. Longest was only once and it was about 9 hours. Normally they are less than an hour.

Americans are addicted to instant gratification, convenience and being taken care of.... it's sad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Quit baiting us to talk politics :p