(Poll) Goff or Wentz. Who do YOU want?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB do you want?

• Jared Goff

• Carson Wentz

• Don't care. I'm just here to troll the board

Results are only viewable after voting.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I think the better questions are:

1. Who do you think will win more games over the next 5 years?
2. Who do you think is a better fit for the offensive scheme?

Could you do one poll with multiple questions?

So you're saying draft "fit" over talent?

You know there are some things that just can't be coached up

That's what separates these two in my book

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
So you're saying draft "fit" over talent?

You know there are some things that just can't be coached up

That's what separates these two in my book

I have stated on this forum that I believe both quarterbacks will be good in the NFL. I also submitted that I felt Wentz has a deeper skill set and therefore is a true franchise quarterback.

Removing my opinion, and going with a generalization that both QB's are sound and that each has different skill sets.

The question then becomes which QB's total skill set is best for the Rams. I look at who gets more wins, and not who I like.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
OK THE DEBATE IS OVER!!!!!! Jared Goff is a die hard Whiners fan. Didn't know that, Wentz all the way. Screw this T.O. fanboy.

*may be joking.... but not as much as you'd think
Lol; that's pretty awful, but it's not quite so bad. IIRC, Aaron Rodgers and Tom (Cry) Brady grew up Whiner fans.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Read somewhere before that Wentz was spotted at a church by his associates. Not a nightclub at 2.00 am? What the hell are the priorities here? Jhonny M., help me out here. What should i do ?

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Sorry but when Goff answered "Throw him the Ball" that was funny. Now all when need is prima donna #1 WR.
That is funny. I've changed my mind. I'm for Goff now. Maybe Wentz has more humor, but I haven't heard anything as funny from him. Of course I haven't studied these QBs like a lot of you guys have.

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Wentz, He is a winner in his mind. This will take you far. Well, so far anyways. Better than a Debby Downer. maybe?

Name
Chris
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ale-of-the-qb-tape-jared-goff-vs-carson-wentz

Tale of the QB Tape: Jared Goff vs. Carson Wentz

• By Lance Zierlein

Is it Carson Wentz or Jared Goff? That is the question everyone is trying to figure out after the Ramstraded for the No. 1 pick last week, linking both quarterbacks to the new L.A. franchise. While there is no way to know for sure, we can assume a quarterback will be the first pick of the draft.

Since this Goff vs. Wentz battle is beginning to have the same feel as a heavyweight fight, let's look at the "Tale of the Tape" between the two prospects.

Size
While Goff (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) has the type of height coaches want in their quarterbacks, he still possesses a relatively thin frame that could use another 10 pounds of muscle in order to hold up to NFL hits. Carson Wentz (6-5 1/4) is not only more than an inch taller than Goff, he's also 237 pounds and well-proportioned. He has the height to see over the offensive line and the bulk to handle the rigors of the position.
Advantage: Wentz

Accuracy
Wentz is a naturally accurate thrower. He showed that trait at both the combine and his pro day, throwing with very good ball placement on all three levels. In games, his accuracy was at times a little spotty due to issues with anticipating throwing windows and footwork. Goff's accuracy ran a little hot and cold at times due to consistent pressure allowed by his offensive line, but when he had time to throw, he was spot-on with intermediate shots and the deep ball. At this time, I would say Goff is slightly more accurate relative to the competition level, but as a projection of what they will be, I see this category as even.
Advantage: Push

Arm strength
This one is a tougher category than you might think. When watching the combine, it was obvious Wentz had the stronger arm. The ball came out of his hands with some heat on it and he showed very good velocity. However, in games, that same velocity wasn't always there. Goff showed more consistency with his velocity from 2014 to 2015, and uses proper mechanics in his lower body to drive the ball in game situations. While it's close, I'm going to lean toward the natural arm strength of Wentz.

Mobility
At Cal, Goff showed off some nifty pocket presence and an ability to slide around in the pocket while keeping his eyes upfield; he had nine carries for 10-plus yards in 2015. However, when it comes to pure mobility, Wentz has him beat easily. Wentz doesn't have the athleticism or speed of Andrew Luck, but he incorporates a similar rushing style, combining moderate elusiveness with a physical approach. It's worth noting that Wentz has 12 rushing touchdowns over the last two seasons.

Production
Wentz had 45 career passing touchdowns in two years as a starting quarterback at the FCS level. Goff was a first-team All-Pac-12 quarterback in 2015, started every game the past three seasons, threw for 96 touchdowns and 12,195 yards, and holds 26 career passing records at Cal -- the same school that produced Aaron Rodgers.
Advantage: Goff

Decision-making
While there isn't much to pick at with Wentz's interception total, the tape shows a willingness to take chances that would have likely turned into interceptions against a higher level of competition. Wentz is a full-field reader and teams rave about his understanding of scheme and design, but his decision-making could use some fine-tuning. Goff has learned to alter his ball placement to give his receivers the best chances to catch the ball while shielding throws from defenders. Admittedly, Goff must do a better job of eliminating interceptions by underneath coverage, but his ability to make sound decisions under duress is still good.

Poise
This one is very close and could be considered fairly even. Wentz remains extremely calm and confident in the pocket, and seems to have a decent feel for when to stand in and take the hit and when to bail and attack with his feet. Pocket poise was a little bit of an issue for Goff in 2014, but I was impressed with his improvement in that area this past season. Rather than dropping his head at the first sign of pressure, Goff will slide around the pocket and keep scanning for targets.
Advantage: Push

Mechanics
Goff has a very clean, quick release and does a nice job of coming to balance with proper footwork before delivering the ball. He does a nice job of maintaining his mechanics and footwork despite being forced to shuffle around inside and out of the pocket. Whether he's comfortable in the pocket or forced to expedite the throw, his mechanics remain solid. Wentz stands tall in the pocket and keeps the ball high and tight when scanning the field. He's got a relatively compact release that features a nice, high release point. The glaring difference between the two is that Wentz's footwork can go from good to very average quickly. While I do believe that his footwork is likely to get better, I'm not convinced it will.

Fit for Rams
An argument can be made that theRams might like the "local guy" in Goff. But with an extended honeymoon period likely with a brand-new fan base, Wentz would be able to sit and watch for a little bit as he becomes acclimated to the drastic change of speed from the FCS level to the pros. Wentz has the confidence and upside to be the face of the franchise for a highly scrutinized team like the Rams will be in Los Angeles.

Final verdict: Wentz
If this were still the St. Louis Rams, I would probably say Goff because they would need to win more immediately. However, in Los Angeles, the Rams should have a honeymoon period that allows them to bring Wentz along with more patience. At the end of the day, I believe Wentz has the potential to be a "face of the franchise" quarterback more than Goff

I think he has the arm strength right. Maybe even the mobility but I got lost in poise, Goff can sense pressure, he steps up or side steps when he feels it, most NFL qb's don't have it. From a poise standpoint I would bet Goff has thrown more tds under extreme duress then Wentz has ever thrown period. From an accuracy standpoint Goff hands down is the winner, bear in mind most of his throws are under duress. Someone else posted a pass chart, when i compared to throwing in the middle i saw one qb was super succesfull, the other didnt throw over the middle very often. At this level the best qbs are the ones the process and extreme amount of information in hundredths of a second, Goff has done this on every play in over 1500 passes in three years. No offense to Wentz he "could" be better in the long run, but so can Goff. I keep hearing people saying that Wentz is the better long term prospect, how can that be true if Goff is more pro ready at a younger age. How can Goff be more pro ready when Wentz played in the pro system. One thing i dont see is the fact that Goff was given complete control to audible in his last year, from a football stanpoint they are both smart guys. CAL finally went to a bowl game last year, all the CAL fans were excited because that means extra practices which helps the team the following year. Goffs thrown the ball 1500 times at the D1 level, imagine how much that will help at the pro level. Goff just turned 21 and started as a true freshman, to me it's advantage Goff long term, he already has such a huge head start. And when it comes to the Bradford comparison, Bradford stood behind a wall in college, never gained pocket presence. Goff never really had a consistent pocket, in an era of Brady getting the ball out in less then 2 seconds who do you want as a long term QB? The guy with the big arm who relys on play action or the guy who's pro ready and places the ball where it needs to be. Lastly I watched quite a bit of Wentz film and he's mostly in shotgun with an RPO, it looks exactly like CALs offense which Goff executes way more cleanly.

I have to say this though, I'm a CAL fan so I'm preferential, I could be and probably am completely wrong :) I just don't see trading so much away for a prospect when the other option is the guy that has delivered. In the end though I'm now a rams fan, you all are really great fans and I love that.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
The major problem I have with Wentz is all this talk about him having great upside and being multi dimensional.

The dude ran a 4.77 40. What makes anyone think he's going to be running on NFL defenses?

Kaepernick runs a 4.50 40 and is struggling to hold on to a starting job.

How's things working out for RG3 who ran a 4.41?

Do we really think Wentz is going to be running over people like Cam Newton?

Seriously.

And there are major concerns that Wentz has the tools to be a pocket passer. Vision, accuracy and pocket awareness are all questioned or highly unproven.

It's possible there will be no dimensions to Wentz game at the NFL level.

Oh wait, he has heart and leadership!

My bad. Carry on.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm over it. This is tribal at this point.

I was gonna put together a draft preview of both players, but at this point, I think it's too late for all that.

I'll just check back before the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The major problem I have with Wentz is all this talk about him having great upside and being multi dimensional.

The dude ran a 4.77 40. What makes anyone think he's going to be running on NFL defenses?

Kaepernick runs a 4.50 40 and is struggling to hold on to a starting job.

How's things working out for RG3 who ran a 4.41?

Do we really think Wentz is going to be running over people like Cam Newton?

Seriously.

And there are major concerns that Wentz has the tools to be a pocket passer. Vision, accuracy and pocket awareness are all questioned or highly unproven.

It's possible there will be no dimensions to Wentz game at the NFL level.

Oh wait, he has heart and leadership!

My bad. Carry on.

No. Wentz will not be a runner at the NFL level. Like Blake Bortles or Andrew Luck, he'll be a threat to pick-up yardage with his legs if he gets outside the pocket or gets a seam. But you're not drafting him to run. You're drafting him to be a pocket passer. And there's more than enough film out there that shows he has that ability. He has some mechanical flaws in the lower body similar to the ones Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston had coming out. They've improved during the pre-draft process but he'll need to continue to progress. And yes, he'll have to work on his pocket movement and footwork.

That all said, these are things that can be developed and are often developed. Wentz has a lot of things that can't be taught along with a very rare athletic skill-set.(6'5" 237 with mobility and a rifle for an arm) Wentz has the mental acuity, accuracy, and instincts need to be great. He's not as polished as Goff but given time, that'll come. I do prefer Goff because Goff is more polished but if Wentz is the pick, people will end up being very happy with the pick. Wentz has a ton of upside and is already a very talented QB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm over it. This is tribal at this point.

I was gonna put together a draft preview of both players, but at this point, I think it's too late for all that.

I'll just check back before the draft.
Humans like to pick sides Mack. Its in our nature. The longer this wait goes on ppl are going to tear down the QB they don't want in order to prop up their guy. As i said in the very first post at the top of the thread i like both QB's I think the majority here do too. I just prefer Wentz (like you) for a few reasons including system fit, measurables and intangibles like competitiveness, leadership etc.

Lets see that draft preview of yours. :)

TexasRam

Legend
No. Wentz will not be a runner at the NFL level. Like Blake Bortles or Andrew Luck, he'll be a threat to pick-up yardage with his legs if he gets outside the pocket or gets a seam. But you're not drafting him to run. You're drafting him to be a pocket passer. And there's more than enough film out there that shows he has that ability. He has some mechanical flaws in the lower body similar to the ones Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston had coming out. They've improved during the pre-draft process but he'll need to continue to progress. And yes, he'll have to work on his pocket movement and footwork.

That all said, these are things that can be developed and are often developed. Wentz has a lot of things that can't be taught along with a very rare athletic skill-set.(6'5" 237 with mobility and a rifle for an arm) Wentz has the mental acuity, accuracy, and instincts need to be great. He's not as polished as Goff but given time, that'll come. I do prefer Goff because Goff is more polished but if Wentz is the pick, people will end up being very happy with the pick. Wentz has a ton of upside and is already a very talented QB.

Well, I value your opinion and have only watched limited film so glad to hear you believe in the Guy based on your review of the bigger sample size. I don't want someone picked on projection or physicality but it sounds like you see the instincts and mental size needed along with the accuracy.

I think all of use are fearing going through another Bradford Regime, and in this case mortgaged a lot so have to get this right or we are going to be up the creek without a paddle. On the flip side, an Elite QB would have us seeing the postseason for the first time in years.

Psycho_X

Legend
Lol; that's pretty awful, but it's not quite so bad. IIRC, Aaron Rodgers and Tom (Cry) Brady grew up Whiner fans.

Well I guess if he has the same kind of career with us as they did I suppose I can forgive him for his horrible choices growing up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK THE DEBATE IS OVER!!!!!! Jared Goff is a die hard Whiners fan. Didn't know that, Wentz all the way. Screw this T.O. fanboy.

*may be joking.... but not as much as you'd think
Marshall Faulk grew up a Saints fan, and that didn't stop me from welcoming him aboard!
As an old school Rams fans, I hate the Saints and Falcons almost as much as the Niners

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Marshall Faulk grew up a Saints fan, and that didn't stop me from welcoming him aboard!
As an old school Rams fans, I hate the Saints and Falcons almost as much as the Niners

Haha that really is old school hate! I used to hate the Falcons when were were in the same division. The Niners I didn't start hating until the Montana years since they stunk.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Look at this work ethic... This is my guy:

But if it's Wentz, well, I'm still gonna be stoked and buy his jersey!

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Championship game, coming back from injury...
giphy.gif

This dude is a winner.