Pick Two: Best Rams WR's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blaine Grisak of DTR posed this question on twitter and I think it's an interesting one. Which pair of former Rams receivers would you pick to be on a mythical Rams team with 1999 Kurt Warner at QB? Pick a Pair from:

Isaac Bruce
Torry Holt
Henry Ellard
Flipper Anderson
Cooper Kupp
Robert Woods
Az Hakim
Ricky Prohl
Jack Snow
Crazy Legs Hirsch
OBJ
Billy Waddy

I was going to make this a poll, but there would be too many combination choices, so hit me with your best shot! I got Rev Ike and Cooper Kupp!

YQZDaLM.gif

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy Legs was before my time but that 1951 season was incredible. Harold Jackson, Jack Snow, Ron Jessie, Billy Waddy, and Preston Dennard were my guys growing up as a Rams fan.

Henry Ellard and Flipper Anderson were the guys in my prime.

Isaac Bruce got me through the 90’s and then Torry Holt came along and we got a ring.

We went into a drought until Cooper Kupp gets drafted and we sign Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods, now we’re rolling again!

The younger me says Jack Snow and Henry Ellard but…

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ExheuNUNGHwVlII/giphy.gif

Isaac Bruce
Cooper Kupp

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was surprised and confused when I saw this.

Now that I think about it and re-visited the box-score, I think (while accurate) it's a little miss-leading.

Stafford-to-Kupp was 7-for-7 (targets), with a TD and 17 yards-per-attempt. Those are the stats that drive the Passer Rating (completion %, yards-per-attempt and TDs-to-Ints). So a perfect Passer Rating of 158.3 results.

Stafford-to-Higbee was 6-of-8 (targets), with two TDs and 9 yards-per-attempt. That's probably very close to being a perfect Passer Rating when targeting TEs.

The stats when Targeting "all other WRs" (Beckham, Jefferson and Skowronek) was 4-of-10 but the key is that both of the interceptions came on attempts to Skowronek and Beckham. Those interceptions alone, without a TD; plus a low completion-%, results in a very low Passer Rating.
I recall an interview where Stafford went on a little bit about Kupp being easy to read for the QB. Even on an option route the QB has a comfort zone with expecting where he'll end up. That's something that relates back to knowledge of scheme too, in terms of being consistently where you're expected to be given the factors around you.

So we're gonna have games like that for Odell. Sure would have been nice if 9 had put the fucking ball on him on that sideline route late. But either way we do have some limits in terms of matchups compared to some other offenses. I don't think our passing game matchups going 3 or 4 deep stand out by any means compared to the other playoff teams. And our pass pro seems to fall apart if a defensive front has a high enough level of physicality/quickness/energy. They just crumble.

Might be that this year's team isn't good enough. But at least it feels great to have Kupp available this year. If we get great play from our defense and stay balanced it might allow for a good run.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Blaine Grisak of DTR posed this question on twitter and I think it's an interesting one. Which pair of former Rams receivers would you pick to be on a mythical Rams team with 1999 Kurt Warner at QB? Pick a Pair from:

Isaac Bruce
Torry Holt
Henry Ellard
Flipper Anderson
Cooper Kupp
Robert Woods
Az Hakim
Ricky Prohl
Jack Snow
Crazy Legs Hirsch
OBJ
Billy Waddy

I was going to make this a poll, but there would be too many combination choices, so hit me with your best shot! I got Rev Ike and Cooper Kupp!

YQZDaLM.gif
Harold Jackson, Ron Jessie and Bernie Casey would have been viable candidates.
But my personal choices would be a pair that sported 80 on their jersey, Ike and Ellard.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, now figure the two receivers you'd pick with Pat Haden at QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for you, @den-the-coach , lol).

I still would pick Isaac Bruce because he proved he could get it done with mediocre has-been QB's like Miller and Rypien. The second would probably be Henry Ellard, because our team would need another dimension at returner with a a Pat Haden effing things up....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ok, now figure the two receivers you'd pick with Pat Haden at QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for you, @den-the-coach , lol).

I still would pick Isaac Bruce because he proved he could get it done with mediocre has-been QB's like Miller and Rypien. The second would probably be Henry Ellard, because our team would need another dimension at returner with a a Pat Haden effing things up....
J.K McKay & Lynn Swann.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Isaac Bruce and Cooper Kupp are two of the best route runners to ever do it and I say Kupp is a better route runner than Holt was and has more catching options... Holt used to mention that he really struggled with the over the shoulder catch which is why he'd open up on balls which sometimes let the defender into the play.

The Rams have had a bevy of really good WRs, but none better imho than Bruce (who would dominate today) and Kupp (who is dominating today).

The key is playing with Warner.

Kupp has an UNCANNY ability to dissect zones and Kupp FEASTS on Cover 2 which was the Defense du jour during that time (with remnants of old school 3-4 still being run by the Pats and a number of teams in the AFC).

Holt would be my 3rd choice unless OBJ stays for a bit, then I'd go with OBJ because... those hands...

Honestly, I don't think this question gets easier if we make it top 3 WRs to play with Warner.

nighttrain

Legend
Boy do I miss Steve Sabol, would have loved to spend just an hour with him talking football. Sabol was simply the very best and new about the history of the game then anybody else, maybe with the exception of his father Ed Sabol.
I don't remember him, but I looked him up, savvy character
Look at a football field. It looks like a big movie screen. This is theatre. Football combines the strategy of chess. It's part ballet. It's part battleground, part playground. We clarify, amplify and glorify the game with our footage, the narration and that music, and in the end create an inspirational piece of footage.

Steve Sabol

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Its Bruce and Holt. Flipper and Ellard are 1/2 a notch down. Kupp, great year but needs to prove it over time.
Bruce was the clutch guy, Holt was the run up the score guy.
I think McVay can learn something from those 2 Zampese offenses. GSOT, the "deep in" for one. And Martz knew how to run goal line short yardage. He spread them out wide, 2-3 WR passing formations. make them defend space, force it. He did not go jumbo. all tight like DV did. Fauk got the hand off, cut in behind Timerman then went outside behind Pace. How many times did we see that. Gave Marshal room to do his thing.
After Dickerson got traded we had Everett , Bell and Ellard-Flipper. They had that 10-15 yard sideline comeback down to a science. The DBs had to play deep or we would run by them. We would run what looked like a 9 route, ball was thrown to a spot with our WRs back still to the QB and he would turn around and take a step back and the ball was there. candy from a baby. They could not stop it. And it set them up later in the game for deep shots.
Watch this on film McVay, after we win the Super Bowl first.