Pick a position to beef up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Worst position groups in order...

1. Edge. Also the biggest impact to the defense since it's blindside. It's a big hole and that's even with the assumption that Hollins is marginal there. Garrett needed to get stronger so hopefully that's happened and maybe he can at least make the rotation solid. Hardy is a different type player, more physical with a high motor, but I like that they went back to the well of "let's draft an impact player from a lower level of competition." You can hit on those guys. I'm hopeful but Edge is the first choice for me because it's our biggest need.

2. Safety. I should probably have TE here but I think some of the depth chart safeties are mirages. They're non-difference makers sitting there waiting to time out. Can the Rams hit on another late round safety? I wouldn't bet against them but for now I think safety is their second biggest concern, they have to find someone to pair with Fuller and it's possible they need to replace Fuller if he can't gel with the way Raheem calls it. This position was a big disappointment last year we are just fortunate the rush was out of this world but for 2022 they're gonna need to cover.

3. TE. I'm surprisingly optimistic about Hopkins. The guy looks very smooth in the pattern and has had plenty of time to learn. But in spite of him and Blanton showing well in the playoffs there's a sample size problem here. It's still a big area of concern so we'll see how it goes in camp.

Malibu

Pro Bowler

Justin Hollins Confident He Can Step Into Starting Outside Linebacker Role​

‘Guys Have To Step Up’: Rams Justin Hollins Looks To Replace Von Miller’s Production

Read more at: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/sports/nfl/article261653942.html#storylink=cpy
Sure he is going fill the void - laughable. Von was great against the run, stopped the QB from scrambling and had a sack a game almost not to mention how much he freed up everyone else. Von was a unicorn and will not happen this year unless we got a Mack maybe and that is not happening.

Trust me when I say Hollis is a marginal player who 2ill flash here or there but he is no Von.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

2. Safety. I should probably have TE here but I think some of the depth chart safeties are mirages. They're non-difference makers sitting there waiting to time out. Can the Rams hit on another late round safety? I wouldn't bet against them but for now I think safety is their second biggest concern, they have to find someone to pair with Fuller and it's possible they need to replace Fuller if he can't gel with the way Raheem calls it. This position was a big disappointment last year we are just fortunate the rush was out of this world but for 2022 they're gonna need to cover.
Yep, we have been discussing our disappointments in this unit for a long time now. The safety unit appears to have been addressed as best Snead could.

Since all of the five safeties on this unit last year are still young vets ......there's hope that they might get better but I for one do not see anything from 4 of the 5....Nick Scott was the only safety that made good strides in his game late last season. Scott might also have been greatly helped by Veteran Weddle ensuring he was in the right position each snap too.

Another reason I am feeling better about the safety unit was the drafting of those 2 corners & the important return of Troy Hill. Having all those young corners & then Ramsey & Hill as the leaders provide DC Morris the opportunity at times to play Ramsey in deep center field (safety) which is seriously dangerous for any QB in the NFL.

I do not like DC Morris's 2021 starting safety combo (Rapp/Fuller) in any way:thumbsdown::not::sick2:. SS Rapp at best is a reserve & FS Fuller is a non-factor @ his usual deep safety position. Fuller might be a decent starting SS ...just maybe.

nighttrain

Legend
Yep, we have been discussing our disappointments in this unit for a long time now. The safety unit appears to have been addressed as best Snead could.

Since all of the five safeties on this unit last year are still young vets ......there's hope that they might get better but I for one do not see anything from 4 of the 5....Nick Scott was the only safety that made good strides in his game late last season. Scott might also have been greatly helped by Veteran Weddle ensuring he was in the right position each snap too.

Another reason I am feeling better about the safety unit was the drafting of those 2 corners & the important return of Troy Hill. Having all those young corners & then Ramsey & Hill as the leaders provide DC Morris the opportunity at times to play Ramsey in deep center field (safety) which is seriously dangerous for any QB in the NFL.

I do not like DC Morris's 2021 starting safety combo (Rapp/Fuller) in any way:thumbsdown::not::sick2:. SS Rapp at best is a reserve & FS Fuller is a non-factor @ his usual deep safety position. Fuller might be a decent starting SS ...just maybe.
nicely said
train

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Call me a ridiculous optimist/homer, but I feel like our Edge’s opposite Floyd are going to surprise and end up not being such a weak link.

I’m more concerned about OL and that area holding up to a level that we need all season long.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm not as concerned about edge or secondary as much as I'm completely concerned about tight end.

One of Hollins, Lewis, Garrett, Hardy, or maybe even some other unknown will help at edge. We added many young and hungry players to our secondary, including two stud corners and two good safety prospects.

Tight end? If Higbee goes down, we're screwed, and while he's gutted it out in the past, he's been prone to injury. I am very concerned about tight end because i don't think that a combination of Blanton and Hopkins would be able to hack it for an entire season, if it comes down to it.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I'm going with backup QB. Based on if Stafford goes down I am not sure either backup is the best choice for this high octane offense. Dalton or Mayfield even Filed possibly would make me sleep better at night.
I like your thinking but it seems Impossible to afford a second QB that's even 2/3 the player Stafford is and even that playe wouldn't be good enough to get a Chip barring a Foles like magic act.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need a backup to Boom if he gets injured again. So a stud LT would be nice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We need a backup to Boom if he gets injured again. So a stud LT would be nice.
Might be where Andrew Whitworth might come out of retirement to help out like retired Eric Weddle did to say the safety unit.

Alaric Jackson's performance in the MN Vikings game sold me on him! He came in when injuries to OC Allen caused a reshuffle to an already earlier reshuffle on a make-shift OL. Under that tremendous pressure, Alaric Jackson came out looking like the best Snead discovery in the last few seasons.

Carberry thought enough of David Edwards that he originally placed him in the starting LT position when both Noteboom & Whitworth were inactive. That says something. Tremayne Anchrum who has also taken many snaps in TC @ LT was on the IR with a bad knee.

Then there's always the Awarded First-team All-Big 12 2019 3rd round draft LT Bobby Evans Oklahoma's starting LT who is now entering his 4th season as a Ram.

Bobby Evans, LT Oklahoma

Evans doesn’t get the attention like his teammate Ford, but Evans has talent. He’s got experience at both LT and RT and has been very reliable. He’s very athletic and extremely tough. I do think he needs to improve his overall strength but Evans could be a bit of a steal in this draft.

Last edited:

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I read that Robert Quinn is wanting to be traded. For a bargain deal I'd be good with him coming in to play edge for the Rams.

swmizzou83

Starter
I read that Robert Quinn is wanting to be traded. For a bargain deal I'd be good with him coming in to play edge for the Rams.
After the season he had last year if that's at all possible I think they should give it a shot

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Link please.
He's got big money left on his deal.
At his age, I just don't think it'd be wise... although he was fantastic last year.

I don't know if he's made that request, just responding to the concept.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In regards to the question posed... DL. You can never have enough big uglies that can get after the QB and disrupt an offense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I like that Jourdan said Hardy looked bigger than she expected.. and pointed out he's got long arms.
A guy like that is a total longshot.. but he's got traits that absolutely translate. You get some undersized edge guy surprises. Shaq Barrett, for example.
Would be a great time to get a big surprise.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The move would make a lot of sense. Him finishing out his career with a ring with us would be pretty cool.

But personally I don't trust him. I don't think the game is his top focus and not sure he's the kind of guy McVay wants around. McVay moved his ass pretty quick once he took over. Took him like two months to make that determination. And I recall wondering at the time why he'd move a guy who had 8.5 sacks the year prior. So it was likely that he was resistant to McVay's installation of the new culture after he came in, given that he was moved in like two months.

Another thing about him is he practically took a year off in 2020. Then 18 sacks in 2021 and he is demanding a trade. I don't know man, I think he might be a bit of a shitter. Kind of guy who will sulk when told he's gonna need to drop into coverage time to time in this scheme.

If the Rams go get him I'll figure they vetted this stuff out and it's all in my head. But I'll be surprised if they target him.