Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Seems like I read somewhere that Atwell said the Rams told him before the draft that they would draft him in the 2nd if he was there. If true seems like he was their boy all along. At the end of the day the only negative I see with him is his size. It is a concern but frankly might also help him avoid serious injuries. Those small guys are agile and bendy... just got to avoid putting your head down into contact like Brandin Cooks always does.
No question in my mind now that Atwell was McVay's guy. USA Today reported that McVay told Peter Schroeger the week before the draft that they would draft Atwell if he was there. Didn't actually say when, but guys with 4.27 speed who have led the ACC in tds and total yardage probably aren't going to last too long.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I like this player. He fits the mold of speedy gadget guys like they have in KC. The system is everything for these guys.

They're unconventional players due to their size, speed, and quickness. So you have to call unconventional plays to keep them involved. If not they have a tendency to disappear.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cardinals-Rd 2(49th) Rondale Moore 5'7" 180
Sehawks-Rd 2(56th) D'Wayne Eskridge 5'9" 190
Rams-Rd 2(57th) Tutu Atwell 5'8" 160

It'll be interesting to track these guys the next few years.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Cardinals-Rd 2(49th) Rondale Moore 5'7" 180
Sehawks-Rd 2(56th) D'Wayne Eskridge 5'9" 190
Rams-Rd 2(57th) Tutu Atwell 5'8" 160

It'll be interesting to track these guys the next few years.
Animal Town Biology GIF by PBS KIDS

Hram

UDFA
But if he cut his drops and fumbles in half the last season compared to the other two, that shows exactly the progress you would want to see. You are correct that he had that many in three seasons and that is not good, but based on the trajectory it might be just fine.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
That was a hell of an article. One of the few things I have read outside this site that is really worth the time. The comments on the Rams' thought process for each pick was very well done.
JR also pointed out that Atwell will be used in sweeps and other short plays not just going deep. No surprise, but confirms McVay has a plan and plays in mind for how to use him.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they can design some of the diagonal go routes that KC uses with T. Hill, along with jet sweeps, screens, and go routes, he could really stress the defense. Hoping for the best.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Such mixed feelings about this pick.

On the one hand, I have so much faith in McVay, he's a fantastic coach who knows what kind of player he needs to stress a defense.

OTOH, Rams will be trying to make a success out of a player with unprecedented small size.

If Tutu were just an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier-- say, around 5'10" and 165-- I'd feel so much better about the pick.

TheTackle

Starter
In his first 2021 NFL Mock Draft, Jeremiah has Atwell joining former Louisville cornerback Jaire Alexander in Green Bay, and getting picked with the No. 29 overall pick held by the Packers.

"I know the Packers don't traditionally draft wide receivers in the first round, but I love this potential fit," Jeremiah writes. "They don't have anyone with Atwell's skill set on their offense. He is a blur who can be utilized on jet sweeps and to stretch the field. He would be the perfect complement to Davante Adams and Allen Lazard."

Don't shoot the messenger but we appear to have got a steal at pick 57 :)

Psycho_X

Legend
Such mixed feelings about this pick.

On the one hand, I have so much faith in McVay, he's a fantastic coach who knows what kind of player he needs to stress a defense.

OTOH, Rams will be trying to make a success out of a player with unprecedented small size.

If Tutu were just an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier-- say, around 5'10" and 165-- I'd feel so much better about the pick.

During the draft they said he was up to 160.3 so he's at least added a little bulk. Maybe he can add another 10 over his first couple NFL seasons but probably not much more than that.

In his first 2021 NFL Mock Draft, Jeremiah has Atwell joining former Louisville cornerback Jaire Alexander in Green Bay, and getting picked with the No. 29 overall pick held by the Packers.

"I know the Packers don't traditionally draft wide receivers in the first round, but I love this potential fit," Jeremiah writes. "They don't have anyone with Atwell's skill set on their offense. He is a blur who can be utilized on jet sweeps and to stretch the field. He would be the perfect complement to Davante Adams and Allen Lazard."

Don't shoot the messenger but we appear to have got a steal at pick 57 :)

It was mentioned the Rams had fears a team later than them in the 2nd wanted Tutu which is why they stayed put and got him there. I wondered if Green Bay was the likely team looking at him with LaFleur having similar thoughts as McVay on how to use him.

TheTackle

Starter
Perhaps we should hand it to our scouts and coaches. Time will tell, but I am coming round to their way of thinking

Los Angeles seemingly already addressed the perceived need by signing DeSean Jackson. However, Snead said that "whether you have DeSean or not, you better attack while you can because it might be a couple drafts before you get a few of those guys, like Atwell.

"Usually they're quick and they probably don't have the top-end speed. Or, they have the top-end speed but they're not quick enough to get off the line of scrimmage, they're just straight-line guys. He has the good combination of both that you rarely see in receivers. He has elite quickness, elite start and stop. A lot of times those fast guys can't stop, but this guy can stop on a dime. At the line of scrimmage, he's as quick as two cats, he's going to make you miss in a phone booth... [plus] Catching the ball over his outside eye, tracking it like a centerfielder, he was one of the elite ball-trackers in the draft" WR Coach Eric Yarber