Pick #174 - Rams select DE Earnest Brown IV

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Where the two Browns fit-in has become an interesting topic on a couple threads.

Lots of posters are talking about Bobby Brown as a potential future replacement for Joseph-Day who is in the final year of his rookie contract. Maybe this is because of his size. However, I see Bobby Brown more in the role that Brockers filled.

When Brockers signed with the Ravens last year, the Rams signed A'Shawn Robinson to replace him. Then when Brockers became free again because Baltimore had health concerns, he was re-signed and took-back his job. Robinson (once he returned) seemed to mostly play behind Brockers. I see Robinson stepping-up into the starting spot, with Bobby Brown backing-him-up.

From what I saw last year, Joseph-Day was inside, backed-up by Gaines. They filled that role well last season, and I see that continuing to be their primary roles in 2021.

The other Brown (Earnest) strikes me as a potential replacement for Morgan Fox as an interior pass-rusher with good size and athleticism.

I also hope for Michael Hoecht and Jonah Williams.
I thought I saw Ashawn listed as a NT

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I see what they are saying but IMO E Brown is a bit more heavy footed than Fox. Stronger than Fox was early on but probably not as good an athlete.

I expect he will be a decent rotation piece as a DL but don't think he will contain well if they try him as an edge rotation.

Might be wrong, maybe he is a better athlete than I am giving him cred for but either way I like his anchor. Dude is hard to move.
Isn't contain and playing the run one of his strengths.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Isn't contain and playing the run one of his strengths.
I just think he is a different player from Fox. Fox had good movement and built his strength year to year and became a nice all around guy.

This guy is a tank. Already strong. Really hard to move. But we will see on his movement. If he can sub and help us on contain that would be great but I think he is a 3-4 DL rotation not really an OLB option.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just think he is a different player from Fox. Fox had good movement and built his strength year to year and became a nice all around guy.

This guy is a tank. Already strong. Really hard to move. But we will see on his movement. If he can sub and help us on contain that would be great but I think he is a 3-4 DL rotation not really an OLB option.
If he can help shut down outside runs then he’ll be a great addition

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
They tried Noteboom at guards two consecutive seasons despite having a better guard on the team who was proven to play guard better than Joe. So handing the Center job back to Allen could be par for the course.

One possibility why they Rams didn't take a tackle could be that they think Edwards could move there if Whit retired. Then Anchrum or Brewer could move to LG.
These are the reasons I think we have a new OLine coach. I think Allen is gone if he doesn't really outperform and we never see Noteboom at Guard again unless we are desperate due to injuries. Allen was Kromers guy and Kromer also was big on putting guys in positions they were not necessarily suited for, cross training.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
These are the reasons I think we have a new OLine coach. I think Allen is gone if he doesn't really outperform and we never see Noteboom at Guard again unless we are desperate due to injuries. Allen was Kromers guy and Kromer also was big on putting guys in positions they were not necessarily suited for, cross training.

We’ll see soon enough.If Brian Allen is starting Center right away your at Cenrer.Not sure what your time line is though.If it’s this season or next.

Bobby Evans took over at LG for Edwards. If Austin Corbett is The Rams starting Center then Noteboom for sure is the backup LG.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I think he could carve out a role myself. Man, our defense, lemme tell you. It's not just Donald and Ramsey making it good. It's not just Floyd or Darious Williams or the other three guys on the line aside from Donald (SJD, Gaines, A-Rob). It's the sheer depth we have at almost every position.

JJ3 leaves? Rapp, Fuller, and Burgess step in as the starting safeties in what should be a big nickel package, along with fantastic safety depth in Scott, Hughes, Reed, Ford, Warner, etc. I'd go so far as to say that this is hands down the best safety depth in the league.

Brockers traded and Fox signs a deal with the Panthers? BB3 comes in, along with EB4 and maybe one of the Big Four (Jonah Williams, Hoecht, Banks, and Copeland) finally break through and show what they can do.

Hill goes to the Browns in free agency? We still have D-Will, and I see Long or Rochell really stepping up, to be honest.

Uncertainty at the outside linebacker spot when Ebukam leaves? Terrell Lewis takes that job, along with Hollins, Okoronkwo, and maybe Garrett or Daka subbing in.

Concerns about inside linebacker if Kenny Young is a June 1st cut? Howard, Jones, Kiser, Reeder, and Rozeboom step in.

I'm telling you, this defense will remain the best in the league in both points and yards allowed, especially if our younger players step up like Williams, Hill, SJD, and Fuller did. I'm confident in this defense, I really am.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he could carve out a role myself. Man, our defense, lemme tell you. It's not just Donald and Ramsey making it good. It's not just Floyd or Darious Williams or the other three guys on the line aside from Donald (SJD, Gaines, A-Rob). It's the sheer depth we have at almost every position.

JJ3 leaves? Rapp, Fuller, and Burgess step in as the starting safeties in what should be a big nickel package, along with fantastic safety depth in Scott, Hughes, Reed, Ford, Warner, etc. I'd go so far as to say that this is hands down the best safety depth in the league.

Brockers traded and Fox signs a deal with the Panthers? BB3 comes in, along with EB4 and maybe one of the Big Four (Jonah Williams, Hoecht, Banks, and Copeland) finally break through and show what they can do.

Hill goes to the Browns in free agency? We still have D-Will, and I see Long or Rochell really stepping up, to be honest.

Uncertainty at the outside linebacker spot when Ebukam leaves? Terrell Lewis takes that job, along with Hollins, Okoronkwo, and maybe Garrett or Daka subbing in.

Concerns about inside linebacker if Kenny Young is a June 1st cut? Howard, Jones, Kiser, Reeder, and Rozeboom step in.

I'm telling you, this defense will remain the best in the league in both points and yards allowed, especially if our younger players step up like Williams, Hill, SJD, and Fuller did. I'm confident in this defense, I really am.
homer

and I love it!