Philly site: should the Eagles trade for Tavon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The original article implied that the Rams would be willing to just give Austin away for little compensation ("interesting buy-low situation"). Well you cannot fix stupid. The article is just the mindless rambling of some Philly fan dreaming of some pie in the sky trade opportunity. I agree that he has not proven to be worthy of his draft status and what the Rams gave up in the trade-up, and sadly he probably never will but that does not mean the Rams will charitably give him to the Eagles for a late round draft choice. It is borderline idiotic to expect the Rams just essentially give away ("buy-low situation") a guy with his rare speed and elusiveness on a rookie contract that is not a cap anchor.

It will interesting to see if the Rams exercise the 5th year option on him when that comes due.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
What.....mature????? Austin has an incomplete grade due to a myriad of things. The comparison you made is silly for several reasons......

A.Brown is on an offense with a future HoF QB who has won 2 SBs (led his team to 3) who also has a better OL and the best rb in the league......

Austin has had either broken or complete backup trash playing QB for his Rams career thus far. Let's not even go into OC comparisons in Haley vs Schotty. Whose fault is it they dont have him run deep routes? You cant have a player get the ball on 99% of his touches within 5 yards of the LOS and expect him to put up massive td numbers. And a lot of that goes to Fisher, he's the guy who is stuck in the 1970s offensive mindset still.

Guess we will see what happens with a new OC this year.
Austin isn't a good route runner yet. That has NOTHING to do with the OC.

Regarding Fisher and his "3 yds and a cloud of dust" reputation. We have thrown the ball more than run it. And it's not even close to being a balanced attack. Even with 2nd and 3rd string qbs.

Austin is responsible for his development. Period.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Austin cant handle the outside consistently. He's a Harvin clone. Hes more like Harvin then Desean Jackson. Nothing but trickery. He will get a deep pass every once and a while
Unfortunately, you may be correct.

I just can't see taking a gadget wr that early in the draft. I highly doubt, that is all Snead thought he could be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think the Smart Money would bet on this Trade happening!!
X and Stranger.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What do you have to do to develop the qualifications to be a writer for that site?
Traumatic head injury?
A decade-long drug addiction?
Be diagnosed as bipolar?

That article is RIPE with contradictions and ridiculous thinking.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Said it at the time and I'll say it again, the Rams were wrong to trade up to #8 on a specialty player. However, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd would have produced FAR MORE in Philly than he has in St. Louis.

BTW, I wish that they'd let him run the ball more. But, not so much in a traditional package, but more in a spread package like he had in college.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fumble was against Carolina. And it was on a catch. Not a punt return. The only reason Austin wouldn't put up big numbers this year is because of the mental side. He should be an insane route runner with his agility.
I think the only reason Austin may remain underutilized is the coaching staff.

I'm just not confident that Cignetti will:
1] Be able to significantly improve the play calling
2] Be given the autonomy by Fisher to take risks with the offense

IF I'm wrong about those two, then Austin might be finally put in a position to succeed. He is a unique player that requires some imaginative play calling to realize his full potential.

If it's more of the same (Cignetti = Schottenheimer 2.0), I'd expect Austin to continue struggling.

Hope I'm wrong on #'s 1 & 2.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't on this board when they drafted him but voiced concern (reached/small stature-injury risk, gadget player, etc.) and I was pretty roundly rebuffed.

Seeems a lot of fans here saw his pick like I did. Some very astute fans on this board!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What do you have to do to develop the qualifications to be a writer for that site?
Traumatic head injury?
A decade-long drug addiction?
Be diagnosed as bipolar?

That article is RIPE with contradictions and ridiculous thinking.

None of those things. You just have to live in your mom's basement.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Look. I've said it many, many times. I don't know how much it bears repeating. He was only in his second year. Bailey too. A lot of people on this board were saying the exact same things about Quick. You guys remember what Austin was doing at the end of his second season? He was getting it. Bailey was as well. This writer is a Philly fan. Nothing more. Not even worth our time. I'm betting that Austin becomes the player that we hoped he would be, along with Bailey.

If Cooper or White drops into our laps at ten, then scoop them up without hesitation. But you don't give up on someone with Austin's talent before he's had three years in the league, especially when he has zero character issues of which to speak of.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
TA had 6 runs all year long between the tackles, why do people complain about that so much?
People make more out of it than it was, because ... they want to scapegoat on the Shottenheimer because (puts on his flame retardant suit) ... Tavon Austin's problems can't possibly be attributed to himself to some degree.

Yeah, it feels better saying that. I also wonder what his average YPC was on those six plays, I'm thinking that may surprise some.

But anyway, and I hold no ill will towards Tavon, nor do I feel like we have to hit on every pick, but please yes trade him for a pick or someone who actually is a fit in whatever system they run. Heck, if for no other reason, I would love to see him move on so that the next OC won't be run out of town for his lack of production.

We have Britt and Quick now, and I'm excited about that.

Gadget? Bust? Get rid of him? Some of you have lost your minds. He has PROVEN he can make big plays in the NFL. If he didn't have enough talent he would not have been able to do that. In the right environment he carried a WVU team against #12 Oklahoma that had a top 10 defense. Maybe your new OC should give our coach a call and pick his brain for a while. With you new QB...I say he has a good year.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Gadget? Bust? Get rid of him? Some of you have lost your minds. He has PROVEN he can make big plays in the NFL. If he didn't have enough talent he would not have been able to do that. In the right environment he carried a WVU team against #12 Oklahoma that had a top 10 defense. Maybe your new OC should give our coach a call and pick his brain for a while. With you new QB...I say he has a good year.

I will NEVER get tired of watching his college highlights. Just amazing what he's able to do with the ball in his hands. Notice they have him running route from the backfield? This is exactly how this kid should be used. There's no reason to not get him 10-15 touches every single game.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I wasn't on this board when they drafted him but voiced concern (reached/small stature-injury risk, gadget player, etc.) and I was pretty roundly rebuffed.

Seeems a lot of fans here saw his pick like I did. Some very astute fans on this board!

I confess - I am guilty! I was thrilled when the Rams selected him and I still think (Maybe, just wishful thinking!) he can be a very valuable weapon IF used properly! And, my memory is really bad (Getting OLD!) but is seems to me that he had some pretty good returns called back because of some untimely penalties! I don't have a problem if the Rams trade him but I hope they don't give him away!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Tavons TOTALS

REC-71

YDS-660
AVG-9.3
LONG-81
TD4

RUSH-45

YDS-375
AVG-8.3
LONG-65
TD-3

"FUMBLES-9 LOST-1"

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
To the Eagles' organization, fans, media, beat writers, etc. Go Find Your Own Tavon Austin!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
People make more out of it than it was, because ... they want to scapegoat on the Shottenheimer because (puts on his flame retardant suit) ... Tavon Austin's problems can't possibly be attributed to himself to some degree.

Yeah, it feels better saying that. I also wonder what his average YPC was on those six plays, I'm thinking that may surprise some.

But anyway, and I hold no ill will towards Tavon, nor do I feel like we have to hit on every pick, but please yes trade him for a pick or someone who actually is a fit in whatever system they run. Heck, if for no other reason, I would love to see him move on so that the next OC won't be run out of town for his lack of production.

We have Britt and Quick now, and I'm excited about that.
(here comes the fire) Schotty was a moron theres no scapegoat there. if you've watched every game his coached you'd see that. yea and bradford's numbers and production looked like shit too even when healthy cus he was a product of the environment around him with the lack of dynamic players and coaching schemes. Tavon is in the same boat. never had a QB and was never given a chance to be put in a scheme he can excel at. why would you want him traded away when the offensive scheme and QB is changing. you don't even know what scheme the Rams will be running this year so how do you know he won't fit? sorry but not a smart move IMO. and we would lose our punt returner that can score on any given punt. didn't you see how important special teams were last year? everyone was terrified of the Rams between the trickery, Hekker and Tavon. and Tavon's return numbers are bullshit. how many huge returners and TD's has he scored that have been called back. theres an unwritten rule with receivers, you give them 3 years to develop and Tavon has developed both with his hands and his head. as far as production in Tavon's case its kinda hard to wow ppl when his QB's and OC have been shit. Tavon stays and we see him explode under a new OC and scheme. three words. PLAY-ACTION PASS.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Unfortunately, you may be correct.

I just can't see taking a gadget wr that early in the draft. I highly doubt, that is all Snead thought he could be.
First no hard feelings,but I think most of what you say about Tavon is garbage.
-Tavon Austin trade up was,in my book bad.I do give Snead create for Ogletree & TJ a donald.You will see those 2 flat out dominate this year.
----His size though is in question,because of injury.That is nothing to do with his ability.
--- I think your wrong about Tavon though"He is a true Ram & fans that don't see that really don't have a feel for the team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have to make it out to The Ed this season,no matter what.I have sports weekend to do list. It's A Cubs game,ND,& a Rams game.Maybe just a total St.Louis experience,& safe the other for a snowy day.
That said" watching Tavon live is really special.I'm still mad a Stedman Bailey for his 4 game suspension.--Point is you don't trade team chemistry away right now.(yeah-I'd take a couple outrages proposed trades posted).
I saw Tavon against SD with the game on the line.Was yelling at Shotty the whole game of how bad he was.
Tavon lined up straight across the field from me.I started telling him to take it to the house.DUDE won the game for The Rams.
!!! Totally amazing talent...BS call again against The Rams.
Question is""How many TD's have been called back on Tavon Austin ?? I'd say like 9 ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tavon Austin-- Has had different kind of NFL career to this point .The thing is he is a believer in himself.
--Love his energy
--the runs while moving in motion.
Tavon has had injury problems,but most of all he has had a problem of just playing.
Cig(Fisher) are going to shorten the play calling language to help the game flow for the players.