Philipps and Rams defensive players other than Donald,need to be held accountable.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
For all of you bitching and complaining about Wade's defensive coaching, the guy has lasted in the NFL for a reason. He knows and understands how the game works far more than any of us ever will. Oh, one more thing what is the Rams record this year? Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
For all of you bitching and complaining about Wade's defensive coaching, the guy has lasted in the NFL for a reason. He knows and understands how the game works far more than any of us ever will. Oh, one more think what is the Rams record this year? Enjoy the ride!
It certainly is exciting. :D

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I love Wade. Hell, we all do.

But I still grade on results, not reputation.

Results on this ‘18 D, especially lately, have been underwhelming.

We shouldn’t be misled when our O and/or ST bails out our D.

I long for the dominating D we expected when all this new talent was added last offseason.

It’s not too late. There’s still time to pull this D together. But I’m not gonna pretend that our currently performing D is SB ready.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I know we're disappointed in the defense. We had visions of this dominant defense shutting teams down week after week. But high caliber quarterbacks have had their way with them.

I would love to see this defense dominate. But when you're 10-1 your whole team is doing something right. And there is still hope they can become respectable. Talib was the heart and soul of the secondary. His return can't be overstated.

We know the defensive line is one of the best. We know Aaron Donald is the best. Dante Fowler is a very talented pass rusher. More time in the system will only help. Ebukam grew up last game. Johnson is getting better with each game at safety. Littleton has shown promise.

They have 5 more regular season games. A first round bye looks like a lock. There is no reason to think once all the pieces are in place they can't do a lot better as they work together each week until the first playoff game.
Great post and I agree 100%. Talib is the Eric Berry of this defense. He will make a huge difference.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For all of you bitching and complaining about Wade's defensive coaching, the guy has lasted in the NFL for a reason. He knows and understands how the game works far more than any of us ever will. Oh, one more thing what is the Rams record this year? Enjoy the ride!

Great post and I agree 100%. Talib is the Eric Berry of this defense. He will make a huge difference.

Talib is definitely going to help. But the personnel issues we have won't be completely fixed by his return. We're still going to be playing more subpar starters than an elite defense would have and it will show on the field. And it'll allow many here to continue to nitpick Phillips and act all surprised that this defense isn't the 85 Bears.

But the good thing is if the secondary can simply reduce the opponent's top threat in the passing game it will give the Rams an enormous advantage. They have been winning big games in spite of an outgunned unit, but getting a top corner back will definitely make a big difference vs the pass.

Then hopefully we'll see Les make some draft investment on that side of the ball to complete the transition to the 3-4.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Talib is definitely going to help. But the personnel issues we have won't be completely fixed by his return. We're still going to be playing more subpar starters than an elite defense would have and it will show on the field. And it'll allow many here to continue to nitpick Phillips and act all surprised that this defense isn't the 85 Bears.

But the good thing is if the secondary can simply reduce the opponent's top threat in the passing game it will give the Rams an enormous advantage. They have been winning big games in spite of an outgunned unit, but getting a top corner back will definitely make a big difference vs the pass.

Then hopefully we'll see Les make some draft investment on that side of the ball to complete the transition to the 3-4.

We don't have to be great. With moderate improvement we could be winning 38 to 24 instead of 38-35. We wouldn't have to bite off all our nails by the end of the game.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Which isn't called a jumper or a jump shot because even though the player leaves their feet it's a different thing.

Just like a finger roll isn't a layup. Or lemon creme or lemon jelly.

IT'S A FINGER ROLL.

Do you see Ice Man saying "One thing I could do way a lay up".

No..........he says finger roll.

These are subspecies, that's certain, but different animals.

A layup is a shot off the backboard (obviously) at very close range. A finger roll really meant a shot rolled off the hand straight into the basket.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In reference to a hook shot -
Which isn't called a jumper or a jump shot because even though the player leaves their feet it's a different thing.

Just like a finger roll isn't a layup. Or lemon creme or lemon jelly.

IT'S A FINGER ROLL.
I never said a hook shot is a jumper. A hook shot or any other shot from three point range is a 3 pointer. That was the point. Just like a lay-up can be by different means - and not always off the backboard. I stated ACTUAL definitions unlike your personal view of what constitutes a lay-up or finger roll.

A layup is a shot off the backboard (obviously) at very close range. A finger roll really meant a shot rolled off the hand straight into the basket.
As with Les - refer to the actual definitions I already quoted. It's not my opinion. The following are dictionary definitions.

Lay-up -
a shot in basketball made from near the basket usually by playing the ball off the backboard. lay up.

a shot with one hand from a point close to the basket, in which a player shoots the ball toward the basket, often off the backboard.
Notice key words "usually" and "often". Clearly - that does not mean always and therefore, does not require the ball to go off a backboard.
Finger Roll
Basketball
a type of layup shot in which the player shoots with their palm facing away from the basket, rolling the ball off the tips of their outstretched fingers.
Finger roll = "type of layup shot"

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
In reference to a hook shot -
I never said a hook shot is a jumper. A hook shot or any other shot from three point range is a 3 pointer. That was the point. Just like a lay-up can be by different means - and not always off the backboard. I stated ACTUAL definitions unlike your personal view of what constitutes a lay-up or finger roll.

As with Les - refer to the actual definitions I already quoted. It's not my opinion. The following are dictionary definitions.

Lay-up -

Notice key words "usually" and "often". Clearly - that does not mean always and therefore, does not require the ball to go off a backboard.

Finger roll = "type of layup shot"​
Sorry, 503, no offense, but I don't accept your dictionary's views. A lay-up meant putting the ball up off the board in an era in which that was taught as the proper way to make the shot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry, 503, no offense, but I don't accept your dictionary's views. A lay-up meant putting the ball up off the board in an era in which that was taught as the proper way to make the shot.
Nah. I listened to Chick Hern for many years say the words "lays it up and in" for layups that never hit the back board. It was used for virtually any basket that was finger rolled or laid up near the basket that was not a dunk. I will go with that along with the dictionary definition.

Obviously none of this really matters. It's just a fun distraction. I'm pretty sure Les is just playing along per his reference to Lemon Jelly - cuz I think we all know @-X- knows nothing of Jelly filled donuts.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If the Lions put up 35+ against us then yeah, bitch all you want about the defense. We shut out the Cardinals in week 2, held the Chargers to 23 points in week 3 and the Packers to 27 points in week 8. The Saints and Chiefs have exceptional offenses and Russell Wilson is a damn good QB, as much as people here don't want to admit it. The defense has looked lost at times but understand that opposing offenses are trying to do that, ya know. We are 10-1, try to enjoy it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love Wade. Hell, we all do.

But I still grade on results, not reputation.

Results on this ‘18 D, especially lately, have been underwhelming.

We shouldn’t be misled when our O and/or ST bails out our D.

I long for the dominating D we expected when all this new talent was added last offseason.

It’s not too late. There’s still time to pull this D together. But I’m not gonna pretend that our currently performing D is SB ready.
I agree. I kept my 30 yr career in the same agency based on results. If I would have turn in a year like Wade has with what he has to work with .... I would expect to be under heavy heat:fuelfire: :shooting::headexplosion: to get it together over the last quarter or changes should be made. Myself when I was no longer able to produce or wanted to remain under the fire, I retired to hobby @ Rams On Demand.

Rams Org. :admin:Kroenke/Snead/Demoff/McVay made major changes to this defensive personnel this off season. I have already identified three 2nd yr Ram Defensive units coaches who have underperformed in getting their players to play up to their talents & abilities.:help::sleepz::puke:I also think that Wade's job is not on the line here.

Same for veteran LB unit Joe Barry. Barry has over 20 yrs coaching on the defensive side with many seasons serving as DC & several with McVay when he was the OC with the Skins. Rams dumped 3 of four starting LB'ers before the season began. The remaining starting LB'er never recovered from his 2 off season surgeries. The main back-up & former early season starter OLB'er Longacre missed OTA's & Training Camp & only saw 1 pre season gm when he was injured again & continues to deal with back spasms from surgery.

Snead drafted FIVE Lb'ers alone in this one draft & that does not include ER John Frankin-Myers. 3 of those rookie LB'ers came to the Rams with injuries or were injured very early. Another 1st rd pick OLB who started 2 gms this season (Easley) tore up his ACL again & went to the IR. Barry has been thru hell in dealing having to start 2018 season with all :eek:FOUR new starters. I see evidence since Snead made the trade for OLB Dante Fowler Jr this LB'ing unit is improving.

I can't say that about the safety unit's play. This four player unit remained the same as 2017. :shocking: Coach Evero's unit may be one of the worse in the NFC.:censored: The CB unit did see 3 new (Talib/ Peters/Shields) all have been to the pro bowls many times but the best Nickel Back in the NFL Robey along with Hill & Hatfield have been here for several seasons now. Coach Aubrey Pleasant unit should be one of the best CB units in the NFC but plays like :poop:. Dealing with only 1 long term injury (Talib).

The DL, bedside's the play of Aaron Donald has been deplorable in run defense. This DL that has all first rd selections starting ....Donald has 14.5 sacks the other have only 4.5 sacks. Franklin & Westbrooks have 1 each. Suh has 3.5 & 2.5 of those came when he was not playing NT. Brockers & Westbrooks appear to be trending downward. DL coach Johnson should have this DREAM unit killing it each & every Sunday.:sadwalk:

Okay look @ the offense....Rams made major changes to the offensive personnel too. Rams new 1st season offensive run coordinator, a new 1st season pass game coordinator, a new 1st season quarterbacks coach & a new asst. WR coach. All four of these Offensive coaches have their units flying high. Excellent results!:bow:

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These are the only games I've been truly upset with the defense:

Minnesota
@Seattle
Seattle

Here are the games we played "elite" defense: @OAK, AZ, @SF

The games we played good defense: LAC, @DEN

The games we played defense good enough to win: GB, @NO, KC

Here's what's funny about that: in the Vikings game and second Seahawk game, our offense FAILED to win the game. Our defense had to do it.

People are too caught up on the Saints and Chiefs games - take that away and we've given up 31 points three times (the three games above), 20-29 points three times, and 10-19 points three times. The Vikings game was easily explainable - short week, both Talib and Peters had just gotten hurt. The two Seahawks games are what made me want to break a TV. No way that team should score 30 on us.

Back to the Saints and Chiefs - IMO our defense played pretty good in both games. It's all about the opponent and where you play them. For the Saints game: yes, we gave up five TDs on five drives in the first half. And yet 22 minutes into the 2nd half, the Saints only had 38 points. Our defense played well enough to give the ball back to the offense in the fourth quarter with a chance to take the lead, and the offense went 3 and out.

Against the Chiefs - they scored on offense 7 times in 15 offensive possessions. We forced five turnovers and 3 punts - check out how often the Chiefs score on their possessions, and it would shock you to realize that 7/15 is below their average, as a percentage.

People are too caught up by both teams scoring in the 50s to realize that it was a product of both teams playing at light speed and getting far more possessions than you normally have in an NFL game.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If the Lions put up 35+ against us then yeah, bitch all you want about the defense. We shut out the Cardinals in week 2, held the Chargers to 23 points in week 3 and the Packers to 27 points in week 8. The Saints and Chiefs have exceptional offenses and Russell Wilson is a damn good QB, as much as people here don't want to admit it. The defense has looked lost at times but understand that opposing offenses are trying to do that, ya know. We are 10-1, try to enjoy it.
Considering that the Packers are averaging 24 points a game, we didn't hold them to 27 points. We allowed them 3 points over their average.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your name is Francis?

You should go with Frank.
It sounds a lot more manly.

Yeah its news to me my name is francis.hense he obviously has me mixed up with someone else the dude who posted the photo.:rolllaugh:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Considering that the Packers are averaging 24 points a game, we didn't hold them to 27 points. We allowed them 3 points over their average.

Yes but if you factor in how good McCarthy and Rodgers have been coming off a bye, and the relative lack of home field advantage for that game - it's a little more impressive.

Plus, Rodgers is a wildcard who can put up points on anyone, and the defense kept us in the game while the offense sputtered for most of the first half.