Philipps and Rams defensive players other than Donald,need to be held accountable.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Wow, no over-reaction by the OP. If you have some suggestions for making our defense better, I'm sure Wade would love to hear them. If you want our defense to play better, then change the level on Madden to "Rookie."

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The D made some amazing plays this game and came up big time when it was needed. Honestly some of the complaining and negativity when we are 10-1 is so spoiled, ungrateful and ridiculous. It's like taking your kid to Disneyland and having them cry because you only got them an ice cream and not also a balloon

This is the QOTMF'nM!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wow, no over-reaction by the OP. If you have some suggestions for making our defense better, I'm sure Wade would love to hear them. If you want our defense to play better, then change the level on Madden to "Rookie."

Suggesting that there is room for improvement by our D doesn’t sound like an over-reaction to me.

Hell, it sounds like common sense.

Unless one is wearing blinders. Lol.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our defense scored how many points versus the Chiefs? How many pressures, how many interceptions? With our number one CB out, nonetheless. When Talib gets back after the bye I think we look pretty good defensively. I am excited about our potential defense. Fowler and Ebukam are putting more pressure on the edge. I think we will be fine everyone. Obo will also be added. Remember, we have been playing against high powered offenses and throwing a bunch lately which leads to lots of scoring for both teams. The sky isn’t falling in my opinion. I respect other opinions too.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Anyone missing Ogletree yet?
I sure as hell don't. Can't speak for anyone else, but if they have a different opinion than me, then they're wrong. (Note: not intended as a jab at you, I just thought it would be funny)
Even our NT Suh ends up playing DE often. This 4 man DL is highly effective when utilized.

Specifically in regards to your comment on Suh, my father (who lurks on the board) commented that it sometimes seems like Suh is being she'd to not rush the passer and set the edge instead. He rushes kind of shallow and then sits there waiting without creating a ton of push on the pocket. Kind of a reactionary step to our OLBs not being up to the task for so long.

Just a thought that was kind of interesting and a different perspective than what I was thinking.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stopped reading after the bit about the players giving up their salaries. Get real. Do you have ANY idea how hard these guys work to remain in NFL shape?

Maybe every time you’re less than perfect at your job you should give up your paycheck.

These are human beings just like you and I working a paying job. Their salaries are not contingent on perfection

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Anyone missing Ogletree yet?

Things do change year to year and I am afraid you are right this is what it is for 2018.

Technically it was a finger roll, and I smiled when he did it.

IMO he's gone after this year.

Unless he is playing with a nagging injury that we don't know about but the coaches do he can't stay.

I wonder how often he is playing a 3-4 versus a 4-3?

Not missing Ogletree at all. Sorry. His bad angles in the run game became infuriating.

"The Iceman" George Gervin finger roll was seriously old school and awesome. Love Goff to death.

I dunno what our cap situation will be because I dunno how many stay... like I would presume both Joyner and Barron are gone and I dunno what we do about Suh... does he stay for the contacts and business development access or does he try to get one last contract? I dunno.

That said, I would be surprised if we don't make SERIOUS inquiries about Earl Thomas. He suffered a broken bone which is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to rehab than a joint. He speed should come back relatively quickly and the rehab is totally different. And he didn't have a compound fracture like Alex Smith who's rehab will be significantly longer and more arduous.

As for the 3-4 v 4-3, it's been discussed before that Wade's 3-4 is actually a hybrid 4-3 Nickel. Littleton has really played well this year, but he really needs another bigger guy in there with him who can run.

I could really see us going after a stud ILB in the first round since they tend to drop and there are supposedly more than a few viable QBs this draft. QBs and CBs tend to go early , but safeties and ILBs tend to drop which is good for us because that's where we have the most need.

Also, I really hope we can keep Saffold because I have a feeling, especially once we win the Super Bowl that Whitworth retires and we'll need Noteboom to step in at LT.

Lord in Heaven, I love this team!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I agree... I keep reading here about how Talib will cure our ills. I'm just not so sure. First off, he'll have to get re-acclimated to real game football. Second, he's good... but he's no Superman. I'd expect some improvement after maybe his second game is done... but the defense's issues run deeper than just one man.

Yeah I agree, Aqib didn't look like any superman earlier in the year. But hopefully he will get us a few seconds every play, settle MP and LJ down and back into their expected production and roles, and have a domino effect.

It was good to see some flashes of what we expected of our D this year: ints by MP and LJ, strip sacks, and D scoring. I guess the optimist in me thinks our D is not far away from settling down, and maybe Aqib will be the ingredient to trip that off. I still think we will have issues stopping the run though.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I know my emeffing fingarolls, they were from my era.

And the butterfly collar was the crap then too. Don't let @Selassie I tell you it was the cutoff fishnet manshirt. It wasn't ever that.

My Man... The Ice Man!

I got to watch him play in San Antonio a bunch of times. My basketball coach when I lived there for a bit had season tickets. He lit up the score board nightly... and yes... he could FINGER ROLL! Hahahahahahaaaaa

George used to have the name Ice Man on the back of his warm up suit. He'd bring his little boy out on the court for warm ups... he had a matching warm up suit that said Ice Cube on the back.

Oh... and it was my Zeke-like abs back in those days that made my cut off fishnet look so fly.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My Man... The Ice Man!

I got to watch him play in San Antonio a bunch of times. My basketball coach when I lived there for a bit had season tickets. He lit up the score board nightly... and yes... he could FINGER ROLL! Hahahahahahaaaaa

George used to have the name Ice Man on the back of his warm up suit. He'd bring his little boy out on the court for warm ups... he had a matching warm up suit that said Ice Cube on the back.

Oh... and it was my Zeke-like abs back in those days that made my cut off fishnet look so fly.

Little boy with Ice Cube... that's maybe the cutest thing ever...

Well, maybe except for this lil bunny...
h04236A90

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Suggesting that there is room for improvement by our D doesn’t sound like an over-reaction to me.

I'm not wearing blinders. I know our defense has been below par. But to say they need to come out publicly and explain themselves is a bit much. If the OP doesn't think Wade and defense know they are not playing good football, then maybe they are the ones wearing the blinders. I'm pretty sure they understand they are playing poor and are trying to correct it. Either way, as long as we keep winning does it really matter? I said it before, this is not your father's NFL and teams will continue putting up points because the NFL has geared play towards offenses.

Edit: When Talib comes back it will benefit the secondary which should help in the overall scheme. It's not like these guys aren't trying to play their best.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
I'm a staunch critic of our team when criticism is due.

In this case, I think the defensive problems we have are universally known and discussed. And yet, despite that huge monkey on our backs, we're still 10-1. So I've drifted over to the side that thinks the term "held accountable" is a bit overkill for any aspect of this team.

Hey just imagine it like this....there's only one way to go from here, and that's UP

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Also, and I don't say this lightly, anyone who doesn't think that the Coliseum turf doesn't hurt us just doesn't understand. On several plays, our guys would fall down because the turf would just come up in chunks. It was infuriating to watch.

Yes. Our home field is soft and not in great condition.
But don't you think it's the same for both teams playing?

Or does our field's condition somehow only make Rams players fall down? ;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This offense could very well be great enough to keep bailing out the defense week after week.The Rams have every reason in the world to be happy that they won this game but they cannot possibly be happy about giving up 50# points and nearly blowing the game twice not to mention the fact they have kept teams in the game everytime they have faced an elite quarterback.

I want to hear Phillips and every Ram player on defense come forward and admit they have not done their jobs this year and need to have all their salary taken away from them.Donald the exception of course who carried the team last night. this defense is about the most embarrassing defense I can ever remember having as a Rams fan while winning.

I am sure there were worse than this when they were losing but for an offense to have to CONSTANTLY bail out the defense all the time week in and week out to win is downright embarrassing to me as a fan who loves the Los Angeles Rams fan so much and never stopped cheering for them in the early 90's when they had losing season after losing season always watching them back then everytime they had games that were televised any chance i got. sure its a much better alternative than what we saw their first year back in LA which was painful to watch but THIS is painful as well to see a team that has so much history in LA having great defenses be exposed along with the chiefs as having the two worst defenses in the NFL.:mad:

Its embarrassing and Im tired of every elite quarterback torching them only winning cause the offense out torches the other teams defenses.:mad:

I know I am going to get some chill alerts but facts are facts and these facts cannot be denied.
Sigh. Held accountable? Admit they have not done their jobs? To whom? Honestly.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
That game was played at a fraction of the pace of the Rams game... Had the Cardinals really threatened with any kind of offense, the Chiefs would have put up their usual 35+.

Chiefs in the huddle: "Hey guys we're up by a full 13 points and they're not threatening us. Let's stop scoring. There's no way an NFL team can score 2 TD's and take the lead. Let's not hurt their feelings either by scoring more. If they threaten us with more offense, only then will we move the ball and put up points...."

Now I get it how it works. ;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know my emeffing fingarolls, they were from my era.

A finger roll has always qualified as a lay up Les. The Showtime Lakers made a living off of them. "Magic lays it up and in." Generally speaking, a lay up is a shot at the basket that is not a dunk and mostly while the player is on a break away or one on one situation.

a shot in basketball made from near the basket usually by playing the ball off the backboard. lay up.

a shot with one hand from a point close to the basket, in which a player shoots the ball toward the basket, often off the backboard.

Finger Roll
Basketball
a type of layup shot in which the player shoots with their palm facing away from the basket, rolling the ball off the tips of their outstretched fingers.

View: https://youtu.be/efT05F99Sw0

View: https://youtu.be/cwHC7cZX01o

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Chiefs in the huddle: "Hey guys we're up by a full 13 points and they're not threatening us. Let's stop scoring. There's no way an NFL team can score 2 TD's and take the lead. Let's not hurt their feelings either by scoring more. If they threaten us with more offense, only then will we move the ball and put up points...."

Now I get it how it works. ;)
If you don't realize that game situation and pace of play impact final scores, you really don't get how it works. ;) And no, it doesn't have anything to do with "taking it easy" on the other team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

That's not what the OP did nor I think what members are bracing against.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know we're disappointed in the defense. We had visions of this dominant defense shutting teams down week after week. But high caliber quarterbacks have had their way with them.

I would love to see this defense dominate. But when you're 10-1 your whole team is doing something right. And there is still hope they can become respectable. Talib was the heart and soul of the secondary. His return can't be overstated.

We know the defensive line is one of the best. We know Aaron Donald is the best. Dante Fowler is a very talented pass rusher. More time in the system will only help. Ebukam grew up last game. Johnson is getting better with each game at safety. Littleton has shown promise.

They have 5 more regular season games. A first round bye looks like a lock. There is no reason to think once all the pieces are in place they can't do a lot better as they work together each week until the first playoff game.