Philipps and Rams defensive players other than Donald,need to be held accountable.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
This offense could very well be great enough to keep bailing out the defense week after week.The Rams have every reason in the world to be happy that they won this game but they cannot possibly be happy about giving up 50# points and nearly blowing the game twice not to mention the fact they have kept teams in the game everytime they have faced an elite quarterback.

I want to hear Phillips and every Ram player on defense come forward and admit they have not done their jobs this year and need to have all their salary taken away from them.Donald the exception of course who carried the team last night. this defense is about the most embarrassing defense I can ever remember having as a Rams fan while winning.

I am sure there were worse than this when they were losing but for an offense to have to CONSTANTLY bail out the defense all the time week in and week out to win is downright embarrassing to me as a fan who loves the Los Angeles Rams fan so much and never stopped cheering for them in the early 90's when they had losing season after losing season always watching them back then everytime they had games that were televised any chance i got. sure its a much better alternative than what we saw their first year back in LA which was painful to watch but THIS is painful as well to see a team that has so much history in LA having great defenses be exposed along with the chiefs as having the two worst defenses in the NFL.:mad:

Its embarrassing and Im tired of every elite quarterback torching them only winning cause the offense out torches the other teams defenses.:mad:

I know I am going to get some chill alerts but facts are facts and these facts cannot be denied.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There isnt many ways to stop one of the top offenses in the league except outscore them and get some turnovers, which they did last night.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I want to hear Phillips and every Ram player on defense come forward and admit they have not done their jobs this year and need to have all their salary taken away from them.

7a6e4bd14c992dfdb9d2577aedaac1ae.jpg

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
We've gone 11 weeks of bad defense, it is what it is for this season. Some how our D is worse than last season with more talent.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Look, either the Queefs are amazing and we beat them anyway, or they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread and we should have won like we did. It cant be both.

Nobody this year is stopping the Chiefs offense and with as good as they are, you need a team that is deeper in the other 2 phases.
We are and thats why we won.

Everybody wants to ring their hands about the defense, go ahead. Welcome to the NFL.

Infact, there are not 5 defenses in the NFL that I think could have withheld that shit last night any better.
Yeah, I will take the defense with Donald thats coached by Phillips.
Sure, we have given up a lot of points and faced a lot of diversity in defense but I will take that pair any time. And I saw some signs on our defense that causes tme to believe that this unit will improve and peak in time for playoffs.

Rainram

Starter
I’m not satisfied with our defense, but neither do I share your sentiments exactly.

The ingredients remain:
- Missing a healthy Talib
- Joyner and Barron are the standout underperformers IMO
- Inconsistent LBer play
- Questionable scheme/personnel fits
- Modern NFL offensive-friendly culture

And to your point...
they have kept teams in the game everytime they have faced an elite quarterback.

Well isn’t that what elite QBs do?...keep their teams in the game? Are there other defenses I’m missing that are blowing out elite QBs?

Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see some improvements and adjustments coming out of the BYE as well. But I’ll stop short of demanding they turn over their salaries though.:cheers:

Not to hijack your thread...maybe we can discuss the changes we’d like to see after our week off...

fearsomefour

Legend
Things can change year to year.
Look at the Eagles.
To infer the players and coaches don't care or aren't trying is silly.
Held accountable how exactly?
Cut em all and replace them with whom?
I am hoping for improvement after the bye, but, not holding my breath. That said, four more forced punts a game make this team damn near unbearable.
This is who the team is this year.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
This offense could very well be great enough to keep bailing out the defense week after week.The Rams have every reason in the world to be happy that they won this game but they cannot possibly be happy about giving up 50# points and nearly blowing the game twice not to mention the fact they have kept teams in the game everytime they have faced an elite quarterback.

I want to hear Phillips and every Ram player on defense come forward and admit they have not done their jobs this year and need to have all their salary taken away from them.Donald the exception of course who carried the team last night. this defense is about the most embarrassing defense I can ever remember having as a Rams fan while winning.

I am sure there were worse than this when they were losing but for an offense to have to CONSTANTLY bail out the defense all the time week in and week out to win is downright embarrassing to me as a fan who loves the Los Angeles Rams fan so much and never stopped cheering for them in the early 90's when they had losing season after losing season always watching them back then everytime they had games that were televised any chance i got. sure its a much better alternative than what we saw their first year back in LA which was painful to watch but THIS is painful as well to see a team that has so much history in LA having great defenses be exposed along with the chiefs as having the two worst defenses in the NFL.:mad:

Its embarrassing and Im tired of every elite quarterback torching them only winning cause the offense out torches the other teams defenses.:mad:

I know I am going to get some chill alerts but facts are facts and these facts cannot be denied.

If you told any team that their defense would create 5 turnovers, including 2 tds, 2 late picks that sealed the game, plus 3 sacks and 3 punts against one of the best offenses in league history, do you think they'd be ok with a win?

And lets not forget that one kc td was off a Goff fumble, one of 2, and that the offense gave up more sacks than our defense handed the chiefs.

You're too caught up in the points with this particular game. If they gave up 51 to the cardinals, yes, that would be a concern, but try and look at the game as a whole with its unique context.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Infact, there are not 5 defenses in the NFL that I think could have withheld that crap last night any better.

My deal is even though I'm irritated and have been irritated by the defense since early this season, I recognize it's a talent problem. So that pretty much removes all that anger, since I knew going into this one we didn't have anyone who could cover Hill. It was destined to be a shootout for that reason and everyone knew it to include McVay and the Rams' offense.

The fans that are freaking out don't see that. With Talib out Peters loses vs WR1, Hill & Shields lose vs WR2, etc. NRC is the only good cover guy on the field for us. With Talib back suddenly WR1 matchups are a draw, and things look immensely better.

And hopefully we're seeing the maturation of some of those young legs the Rams elected to go with, like Ebukam. Not to mention there is hope that Fowler can help us too. I think the bottom line is this defense is still going to be held back by some subpar vets, but if they can get enough defensive improvement down the stretch they will be very hard to beat in the playoffs.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm not worried about our Rams defense because, I have faith it hasn't reached it's full potential like it will during the last month of the regular season.

I'm also not too concerned because we have a field general that can get a game winning layup when the defense has to overcome some adversity.

"layup"
1063594354.jpg.0.jpg

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense is what it is currently. Our staff knows where the weaknesses are, and they made adjustments before the trade deadline to help out the edge rush. We need help at the linebacker, corner back, and safety positions. Although I do not share the sentiment that when Talib comes back all is going to be well. It's not, and teams will still be able to go over the top and burn us if the QB's have time to throw. the Saints exposed us, and the Chiefs were well on their way.

However, just win, baby. That's what we've been doing. We've been winning so much that asking for players to forgo their salary is absurd, bro. Their earning their pay, and believe it or not, they are a damn good squad.

I posted earlier in the season that naming this defensive unit was a bit premature. Wade doesn't have his players yet. Why not? Look at what we have done on the offensive side of the ball and we locked Donald up, got Talib and Peters. Still this defensive unit is not Wade's dream team. That comes over the next two years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade doesn't have his players yet. Why not? Look at what we have done on the offensive side of the ball and we locked Donald up, got Talib and Peters. Still this defensive unit is not Wade's dream team. That comes over the next two years.

No doubt. They gambled and hit on Talib but missed on Peters. Then Talib goes down. And yes the defense won't be perfect when Talib returns, but it will be able to eliminate a top target for a bit longer.

As we go further into this season I am more and more disappointed in the safety play, too. It's been bad, but last night really exposed how bad. Can Joyner improve? Meh.

Rams need to try to make this work then reload the defense this offseason. Lot of teams going to be prioritizing cover options in this draft IMO.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Should they be called to testify before Congress or something?

But seriously, I've run across 2 different reviewers saying that the Rams aren't disguising their coverages pre-snap. I'm holding out hope that it's part of a bigger strategy and that Wade'll strategically change things up at the right time like he did in Denver to beat the Patriots

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/28/blanket-coverage-wade-phillips-super-bowl-50
"Then the ball was kicked off in Denver, and everything turned upside down for the Pats. Phillips went against his tendencies in every facet. He blitzed just 15% of the time, and he rushed only three defenders 14 times. The Broncos in the first half rushed a different combination at Brady, in personnel, numbers or technique, on every snap. In the secondary, the Broncos mixed coverages almost as often. The Broncos often threw additional bodies at Gronkowski, and occasionally they’d send a lurker to help on Edelman. On second- and third-and-longs, Phillips often rushed three and played one deep safety with six defenders underneath in match man and zone coverages in an effort to take away Brady’s quick, short passes.

"Up front, the varied rushes kept the Patriots’ inexperienced line guessing on every snap. And the variety of coverages made the looks very cloudy for Brady. The Broncos executed the plan nearly flawlessly. Brady normally knows exactly what he’s doing before the snap. In this game, it was clear he never had a grasp of what was going on. . . .

"The Patriots’ offensive staff sets the game plan from what they see on film and from various data. They know, if they want to run a play out of a certain formation, that it’s likely the Broncos will defend it with a certain strategy based on how they’ve done it in the past. The whole call sheet is put together that way. And that works 99% of the time.

"The problem comes when a coordinator goes against all his tendencies, just as Phillips did. Obviously no one asked what to do if that happened during the Patriots’ game-planning, because they clearly didn’t have any answers ready."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh goody another rant about the defense with unrealistic demands from a fan who knows less than nothing compared to the people running the team.

giphy.gif

dang

Legend
Get used to it...its the new NFL. You don't think those that run the NFL didn't watch every bit of last nights game and want in. More points, most offense, more buzz, more fans, more penalties protecting offensive players = less defense. I truly believe the Rams are one CB (Talib) and one run-stuffing ILB (Kiser???) away from a much better defense. Hill, Barron and yes Joyner aren't cutting it. I still have hope for Peters once Talib returns.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I ain't gonna lie..Joyner has been playing like crap this year..

dang

Legend
I ain't gonna lie..Joyner has been playing like crap this year..
I have always felt Joyner was a bit of an underdog who made good but he is not sticking his nose in on tackles like last year. Is it possible he is trying to avoid an injury this year that will affect a contract next year?