PFT: Rams more likely to tag Joyner than Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ly-to-tag-lamarcus-joyner-than-sammy-watkins/

Posted by Charean Williams on February 22, 2018, 5:20 PM EST
gettyimages-888006368-e1519338010648.jpg

Getty Images

The Rams could use their franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner and allow wide receiver Sammy Watkins to test the market, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports.

The Rams might not have enough salary-cap room to keep both.

Franchising Watkins projects to cost the Rams $16.2 million, while Joyner’s tag number is expected to be $11.1 million.

Los Angeles can’t afford to lose Joyner, who appeared in 12 games last season and made 49 tackles, nine pass breakups and three interceptions.

In a similar situation last year, the Rams franchised cornerback Trumaine Johnson a second time.

The Rams did give up a second-round pick in 2018 as well as cornerback E.J. Gaines to obtain Watkins in a trade. But his 39 catches for 593 yards and eight touchdowns in 15 games isn’t worth $16 million.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't say I'm shocked about this. FA money these days is crazy and both are at the top (Joyner is the top) of their respective FA position classes. We very much could lose Watkins and keep Joyner on the tag.

I worried that so many of us were writing up best case scenarios for this offseason. The worst case scenario is that we see a lot of attrition. Joyner stays on tag. Watkins gone, Trujo gone, NRC gone, and amazingly in that scenario, I could see Barron and Quinn both staying!

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/966792063374299137

For context. Kinda feels like just some common sense stuff instead of anything breaking. I think we'd be all hard pressed not to treat the situation the exact same way.

Rams are probably trying to address these two in this order:
1) Sign Joyner long term, sign Watkins long term.
2) Sign Joyner long term, tag Watkins.
3) Tag Joyner, sign Watkins long term.
4) Tag Joyner, let Watkins test the FA market.

Would anyone disagree with this decision tree?

HellRam

Starter
If the Rams had to choose between Joyner and Watkins. I can see them going with Joyner. That said a contract with Joyner should be easier to come to terms with. Joyner actually played at elite level for his position, Watkins did not, yet he will mostly likely get/command top tier money. At this point there is more risk signing Watkins long term, then there is for Joyner.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... I think this is a good scenario to “put out there”.

The preference for most players to get a deal done than play on a tag... it could help with getting a contract done with one or both.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd really like to keep them both, but I would prioritize Joyner if we have to use a franchise tag.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It makes sense to use it on the safety since he'll cost less.

That said, I don't know that the Rams will need to use it on either. Maybe they get both signed to 3+ year deals.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Joyner Watkins and NRC will all be playing for the rams this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Makes sense.
Joyner played very well and his tag is less.
If Watkins leaves we all know where he is going.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sammy Watkins should really consider a career with the Rams. He is finally enjoying football again, the Rams can offer him a lot of money to stay, and they are winning right now. He might get a bigger payday somewhere else.. I can't see someone paying him 14-15M, but he might get it, but he also might be unhappy again. Kurt Warner said during the GSOT days, that it was a "special time", and he was absolutely right. Those good times end way too soon for both sides. I just think Sammy should stay. The difference in money is not that great Sammy. Stay with the Rams! And if you play well, you can cash in again when you are 28!

TexasRam

Legend
I’m all for tagging Joyner.

Not a fan of Watkins in our offense unless it’s severly discounted.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I bet that our resident FSU Seminole will prefer to sign a multi-year contract here in RAM'S HOUSE instead.
He loves playing the greatest game on the planet. They don't make em like him very often.

Get er done already!

WestCoastRam

Legend
It makes sense to use it on the safety since he'll cost less.

That said, I don't know that the Rams will need to use it on either. Maybe they get both signed to 3+ year deals.

From your fingers to God's ears.

Ram65

Legend
I think the Rams should rethink their policy of not negotiating during the season. Two perfect examples of waiting to long and losing your advantage. Just resign both of them to good deals. Nice 4 year deals!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
If it's tag one and give the other a long term deal, I'd prefer they tag Watkins.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I wouldn’t mind letting Watkins go and trying to get Allen Robinson. I doubt the Jags let him hit FA, but he would be a great deep threat in this offense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm starting to rethink what I've thought about Watkins. I'm sure his presence helped the other receivers with all the attention he gets from defenses. But there's something else to consider. McVay's history shows he likes tight ends in his offense. The Rams tight ends didn't get used near as much as people thought they would. I assume its because McVay didn't think they were ready to assume a larger role.

Higbee started coming on later in the season. Everett was their first pick and he'll have his rookie season out of the way. Its possible McVay plans to feature tight ends more if he thinks they're ready. There's only so many targets to go around. Gurley, Woods and Kupp are going to see their share. Its possible Watkins wouldn't get the targets he wants which would make him less valuable to the offense. Which in turn would not justify the franchise money or what he's likely to ask for.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Los Angeles Rams may be better off without Sammy Watkins
What are the outcomes of a much-hyped #1 receiver being asked to be a role player? Joey Aucoin wonders if they’re worth it in the first place.
By joeyaucoin Feb 22, 2018, 10:13am CSTSHARE
usa_today_10459051.0.jpg
Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports
Once you take in account what the Los Angeles Rams gave up to have WR Sammy Watkinson their roster, it seems reasonable that they would want to retain his services next year. Watkins’ first year on the team wasn’t as splashy as some expected, but he had his moments with some big plays.

Now on the cusp of becoming an unrestricted free agent, I think the Rams are going to tag Watkins, keep him for another year, and then hope for the best. And honestly, I hope the guy comes back with a vengeance. However, as great as the potential is for Watkins, there has to be a willingness to end the experiment at the first sign of significant tension in the locker room.

Evaluating the Sammy Watkins trade
898112676.jpg.jpg

Los Angeles Rams WR Sammy Watkins
Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
Sammy already showed flashes of a disgruntled alpha pass catcher last year, and I feel that it will only get worse once it’s abundantly clear that Sammy Watkins isn’t the true #1 option in the offense. He has been quoted lately saying that he’s confident that he’ll improve next year, but what happens if he has a similar season production-wise on one of the NFL’s best offenses? Is he going to be cool with that?

I guess what I’m really asking is: does Sammy Watkins have the temperament of a role player?

I think Watkins sees himself as a star and he’s just saying the right things right now because that’s the smart play. A guy that feels that he’s open 100% of the time is a mixed bag. Yes, the confidence is great, but also extremely distracting. Rams fans want players that stand up and lead when the team is struggling. What we don’t want is passive-aggressive tweets, bad body language, and half-hearted routes when he knows the ball isn’t going to him.

The reason why this is so complicated because Watkins has the skills to kick serious ass in the NFL. But maybe the Los Angeles Rams aren’t built to support an Alpha #1 receiver under Head Coach Sean McVay. From what 2017 showed, the offense thrives when the focus is spread all over the field. Some days Robert Woods will eat, then it’s Cooper Kupp ’s turn. Or maybe it’s the Todd Gurley show for two games straight. #Wenotme. Neither the New England Patriotsor the Philadelphia Eagles had wideouts with more than 1,100 yards receiving. Could that be the recipe for success for the Rams as well? Do you need a wideout to catch 100 balls to be a force in the playoffs?

If Sammy ends up walking this year or the next, I’m not pushing the panic button. As talented as he is, his presence could cause bigger issues in the locker room if things don’t go his way. One needs to look no further than the Ewing Theory which explains the mystery of how teams can find success after losing a star player.

Remember when the Rams lost their star QB in Trent Green in the preseason? There’s always another player ready to stand up.

And someone will be there to step up if Sammy Watkins isn’t a Los Angeles Ram in 2018.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/f6a4...10fbe9ddb/ss_the-los-angeles-rams-may-be.html