PFF: Top 10 Free Agents 2024 (All Positions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I mean.. are we worried about 2026???
Because I'm sure not. I want to rock the hell out of the next couple of years and see no reason not to go all in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't imagine what argument you think you're making here.

I mean.. really?
Whitworth, Floyd and A'Shawn Robinson. Three significant players.

Oh.. and it worked out that OBJ hit the street.. and they brought in Weddle in the playoffs.

You have to acquire talent and FA is one of the tools to do that. Trades are great too.. but those cost you draft picks and you often have to over pay in the trades, or to retain the players once they hit FA.

They've drafted and are developing a bunch of young players who are good and will be helpful. FA is a tool to get players in key roles to push them over the top.
They didn’t make all of those moves in one offseason. The moves were more calculated.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
They didn’t make all of those moves in one offseason. The moves were more calculated.
How do you know they're not being "calculated" about what they're doing this offseason?
NFL rosters have turnover every season.. why wouldn't we want some of the new players to be high-end, if the team has the ability to acquire them?

And opening up money also gives them the opportunity to keep someone like Dotson. I know there are concerns out there about him being a one-year wonder.. but if his price isn't too high, I love the idea of some stability on the line.

The 2017 offseason would be very comparable to what I'm looking at when it comes to FA and overall approach. But I think the Rams can and will go a little bigger.

Whitworth
Woods
Nickell-Robey
Lance Dunbar
Kayvon Webster
Conner Barwin

Unfortunately.. I don't think there's a big-whit in this class.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

The 2017 offseason would be very comparable to what I'm looking at when it comes to FA and overall approach. But I think the Rams can and will go a little bigger.

Whitworth
Woods
Nickell-Robey
Lance Dunbar
Kayvon Webster
Conner Barwin

THIS, I agree with!

I am trying to be fair because ... Well ... I am a Fair Guy God Damn-it!!!

I have not participated in this exchange since yesterday morning because I think long exchanges can go off-the-rails, where the topic can go in different directions.

My point (in several posts on this thread) was simply the following (which is a quote from one post):
"The only point of my post (where I agreed with @dieterbrock) was that the Rams do NOT have many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure."

I accept that it is Theoretically Possible for the Rams to add significant 2024 cap space.
I am saying it is not Practical for them to do so because they do not have many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure; and, accordingly, they Will NOT do so.

But putting that point ... whether anyone agrees or not ... aside for a moment, I agree with the idea that they can have a 2024 Free Agency comparable to 2017.

The six players listed above, plus John Sullivan (not listed) represented a very fruitful and Fucking Smart group of signings by Rams' Management. However, only Whitworth and Woods represented Major Signings from the stand-point of money and years.

Sullivan, Robey-Coleman and Dunbar were veteran-minimum signings. Webster signed a two-year deal. Barwin for one-year. Most contributed ... some tremendously But None represented a huge 2017-$-commitment.

Should Rams' Management once again identify the right free agents (assuming those players are available), the Rams can absolutely repeat their successful 2017 free agent off-season.

Now I am coming back to the $-point.

In my opinion, even with only 36 players under contract for 2024 and not having many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure, the Rams will have enough cap space to add one or two quality / impactful players, plus several solid players. To do so, they Will Not Need to create significant additional cap space, making any MAJOR contract restructures unnecessary.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
THIS, I agree with!

I am trying to be fair because ... Well ... I am a Fair Guy God Damn-it!!!

I have not participated in this exchange since yesterday morning because I think long exchanges can go off-the-rails, where the topic can go in different directions.

My point (in several posts on this thread) was simply the following (which is a quote from one post):
"The only point of my post (where I agreed with @dieterbrock) was that the Rams do NOT have many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure."

I accept that it is Theoretically Possible for the Rams to add significant 2024 cap space.
I am saying it is not Practical for them to do so because they do not have many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure; and, accordingly, they Will NOT do so.

But putting that point ... whether anyone agrees or not ... aside for a moment, I agree with the idea that they can have a 2024 Free Agency comparable to 2017.

The six players listed above, plus John Sullivan (not listed) represented a very fruitful and Fucking Smart group of signings by Rams' Management. However, only Whitworth and Woods represented Major Signings from the stand-point of money and years.

Sullivan, Robey-Coleman and Dunbar were veteran-minimum signings. Webster signed a two-year deal. Barwin for one-year. Most contributed ... some tremendously But None represented a huge 2017-$-commitment.

Should Rams' Management once again identify the right free agents (assuming those players are available), the Rams can absolutely repeat their successful 2017 free agent off-season.

Now I am coming back to the $-point.

In my opinion, even with only 36 players under contract for 2024 and not having many veterans under contract that are good candidates for restructure, the Rams will have enough cap space to add one or two quality / impactful players, plus several solid players. To do so, they Will Not Need to create significant additional cap space, making any MAJOR contract restructures unnecessary.
Thanks for the well thought out response.

I have two main points in this discourse.

First, the Rams *can* open up a lot of space, according to multiple sources.
This is a factual point, not an opinion point.

Second, I think they will be aggressive, based on their history. This is, obviously, an opinion.

I like your overall approach to this offseason.
Like I said.. for me.. I'd be looking for a difference-maker at edge. I think Hunter is the only one who is guaranteed to be able to hit the market, if he wants. So, I think he's most likely.
I mean.. I guess, technically... Tyron Smith is a candidate? If you keep Jackson as insurance.. maybe that's the move there?
I don't know how much he'd get on the open market.. but with his injury history, he might be a bargain.

Anyway.. this all leads me to taking a bigger-picture dive, but I appreciate your points.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Doctson has to be a priority.

Outside players, an edge is a priority. I’m not saying break the bank, but players that are upgrades to hoecht, who is wildly miscast. I’m trusting the development of young. We just need an actual edge on the other side.

If we can handle that, im drafting a tackle with in the first, running back in the second, and having fun the rest of the draft.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But is it necessary for them to rebound in a big way?
I think this is a fantastic question and it does not have a simple answer, imo.
Do they need to make some serious improvement through Free Agency? I think we'd all agree that the answer is yes.

How much is the question.

I'm not even saying they SHOULD open all the money they can.. I just think they need to be very aggressive to improve the defense.

I also think that going from bad/below average to average/above average at some positions is enough.

So.. just off the top of my head.. places where they probably need to spend money:

Edge. They absolutely, positively need a top-end talent at the position... and should pay accordingly, if they have the opportunity. I think they should also look at keeping Hoecht as the 3rd or 4th guy. He's a restricted free agent.

Backup QB. If they're planning on reloading in a shot at the Super Bowl.. they can't roll into next season with Stetson Bennett. Must upgrade. Most reliable way to do that is sign a backup.

Corner. I think I'd bring in one mid-level corner.. and try to keep Akhello.. AND draft a guy in the top 3 rounds. I want to have a real set of corners.

Safety. They need another adult in the Room, imo.. and a decent one.

An argument can be made for another WR. Kupp is getting injured a lot... the drop-off after Puka and Tutu is significant. This may be a place to get another mid-level guy.

And they need to re-sign Dotson, imo. Just please have some stability on the Oline.

There are a ton of bargains out there to be had.. you don't have to spend top dollar to improve, in many cases.

So.. to answer your question... I don't think they have to open ALL THE MONEY up.. but I think they need to open a good chunk.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think they need to spend wisely. Not frugaly. Wisely.

I think their biggest needs are LT and Edge, not necessarily in that order.

I'd prefer the LT in the draft. I don't know how many LTs are going to be available in free agency. For one, the premier LTs aren't usually available and if they are, they're expensive. The guys who really make out are the LTs one rung down. They get overpaid. That's why I say "wisely".

Edge are overpaid also, both the premier guys and the guys one rung down. And since it looks like we already have a good one, paying decent money for a complimentary Edge is fine. We don't need a VM in his prime.

CB is the same. Huge jack for premier, less so but still a lot for complimentary. I don't have the same issues some do with our existing corners but we'll see how they play over the last 7 games.

I think we fans over react and can exagerrate the needs. I'm not saying you're wrong mind you, Just that we probably don't need everything we'd LIKE to have.

We've had a decent draft followed by a stellar draft. I'm expecting another good one for a couple of reasons. That first round pick changes everything in terms of either getting a stud or trading down but not out of the first round and adding another 2nd. Chances are good we get 3 immediate starters.....maybe LT, Edge, CB ( not necessarily in that order). Possibly four or five if they pull their day two/day three magic.

I hope we improve the OL first and foremost.

So I'm not feeling desperate, just expecting the process to pay off. But it depends on what we see the rest of the way.

dang

Legend
How do you know they're not being "calculated" about what they're doing this offseason?
NFL rosters have turnover every season.. why wouldn't we want some of the new players to be high-end, if the team has the ability to acquire them?

And opening up money also gives them the opportunity to keep someone like Dotson. I know there are concerns out there about him being a one-year wonder.. but if his price isn't too high, I love the idea of some stability on the line.

Whitworth
Woods
Nickell-Robey
Lance Dunbar
Kayvon Webster
Conner Barwin

But there are some nice FAs at positions of need (3-4 very impactful Edge and a couple good OCs). Add a stud LT and CB thru the draft and there could be a nice boost on both sides of the ball.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they need to spend wisely. Not frugaly. Wisely.

I think their biggest needs are LT and Edge, not necessarily in that order.
Agree with whole post, furthermore I'd say that if I were to "overspend" on a FA, I'd easily do it on a LT than an edge. Same to be said about who I'd draft provided players were equally rated
Of course FA will happen prior to the draft, so that may impact that choice.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1701017162076.png

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's been impressive. Hope it continues. :thumbsup1:
The fact he came from the Steelers is even better. My dislike for the Steelers has grown significantly. Watching a recent Browns player wipe his a$$ with a terrible towel was the best thing to happen this season as far as I'm concerned. Tomlin is regarded as a HOF great coach, but, our coach, McVay, has won the same amount of Superbowls as Tomlin. Rub that in the face of a terrible towel waving lunatic when you can.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think signing Dotson is a big deal and I think they need to consider Shelton as well. Continuity would be nice.

The need for a top-flight edge thing is just so clear. Think about how well this D is performing.. and it's toward the bottom of the NFL in turnovers and sacks.
Get a top-flight edge and both of those numbers will change.

That's the one position that there are just no internal options for or players already on the roster who can be retained.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think signing Dotson is a big deal and I think they need to consider Shelton as well. Continuity would be nice.

The need for a top-flight edge thing is just so clear. Think about how well this D is performing.. and it's toward the bottom of the NFL in turnovers and sacks.
Get a top-flight edge and both of those numbers will change.

That's the one position that there are just no internal options for or players already on the roster who can be retained.
I believe your 100% right about getting a top- flight edge. That one move would transform this Defense and improve this team the most. Let's go get Hunter in Free agency please.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hunter will be a bidding war. If so then go get that corner from Chicago then draft a pairing for Young. This defense would jump for sure I think.