PFF RB Unit Rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I wonder what Sony’s rating was since he was basically the ram running game but considering pretty much everyone was hurt it’s not hard to be optimistic about this season. If everyone is back healthy along with the additions I don’t think they’ll be horrible. Even a mediocre run game would make this offense very hard to stop.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
It starts up front and with a schematic that best suits our personnel. I think we will really address this in camp. Our backs are mid pack and right now I am ok with that

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
It starts up front and with health. And our OL isn't anything to be excited about with run blocking, and every damn RB we have has injuries and durability issues. So we're ranked about where we need to be until proven otherwise.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ouch. We will be better than this.

The Rams RB room should be motivated to prove people wrong.

31. LOS ANGELES RAMS

Los Angeles ranked 30th in EPA per run play during the 2021 season including the postseason, beating out only the Houston Texans and Miami Dolphins. The Rams ranked in the top half of the league in PFF run-blocking grade and had one of the better passing offenses in the NFL. That leaves the lack of success at the running back position as a major driver in their struggles to move the ball efficiently on the ground.

Cam Akers’ struggles after returning from injury in the postseason (43.7 PFF grade) contributed to those numbers. The Rams will be looking for a bounceback in 2022 from the third-year back out of Florida State.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not a lot of respect for Akers and the stud we drafted out of ND....

I am not impressed with the Rams drafting of runningbacks. Durability is always a concern with smaller backs, plus I loved Sony’s ability to gain a few extra yards after hard contact.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Cam Akers is a fantastic rb. I also think people only remember what they saw last season where he was extremely underdone.

Cam Akers is gonna beast this season. Running and catching passes.

Akers and Henderson will be a fantastic tandem. Not sure how much time Williams will see this season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was surprised looking at Cam's game logs...

He's only had 2 career 100yd games;
  • Dec-10-2020 home vs New England 171yds
  • Jan-09-2021 at Seattle 131yds

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

Is that rushing only? I feel like he has more 100yd TOTAL games with rush/receive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think our run game has suffered to some extent due to the line. We haven't had the type of line that can dictate the run consistently. Could be related to some extent to the way McVay avoids contact to keep players healthy, but either way when this team faces strong fronts the run game generally evaporates. Super Bowl our run game got beat in the trenches for example, we got whooped in that phase pretty good.

Also I don't know that we'll ever have the type of run game that can consistently dictate to or threaten a defense, but in today's league it's not as important so maybe it doesn't matter. Rams will probably remain a team that passes to set up the run, at least as long as they have Stafford.

And the injuries have been crazy. I do think Akers could be special, but he suffered a serious injury so we'll see who he is this season. Henderson straight pisses me off, the guy is a mirage on the depth chart and there are parts of his game I am not a fan of.

So I have a lot of hope built up for Williams. Hoping he allows the Rams to phase Henderson out, i.e. relegate him to the RB3 role. If that happens maybe things start to look up for this unit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

That is two of the best teams to run over IMO. And thumping the patsies like that counts for two at least. We ran all over the hoodie's team and handed them a bellicheat style ass woopin'. Hell - bellicheat took our passing game away so we thrashed his ass with the run and defense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think our run game has suffered to some extent due to the line. We haven't had the type of line that can dictate the run consistently. Could be related to some extent to the way McVay avoids contact to keep players healthy, but either way when this team faces strong fronts the run game generally evaporates. Super Bowl our run game got beat in the trenches for example, we got whooped in that phase pretty good.

Also I don't know that we'll ever have the type of run game that can consistently dictate to or threaten a defense, but in today's league it's not as important so maybe it doesn't matter. Rams will probably remain a team that passes to set up the run, at least as long as they have Stafford.

And the injuries have been crazy. I do think Akers could be special, but he suffered a serious injury so we'll see who he is this season. Henderson straight pisses me off, the guy is a mirage on the depth chart and there are parts of his game I am not a fan of.

So I have a lot of hope built up for Williams. Hoping he allows the Rams to phase Henderson out, i.e. relegate him to the RB3 role. If that happens maybe things start to look up for this unit.
I am seriously asking this. Is Akers that more of a RB than Trung Canidate was? Even Trung had a game or two where he ran the shyte out of the ball, but was meh otherwise. I admit that I missed a lot of games in 2021 where he must gave flashed for most of you. WhatI've seen so far hasn't impressed me much and he has a fumbling problem.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am seriously asking this. Is Akers that more of a RB than Trung Canidate was? Even Trung had a game or two where he ran the shyte out of the ball, but was meh otherwise. I admit that I missed a lot of games in 2021 where he must gave flashed for most of you. WhatI've seen so far hasn't impressed me much and he has a fumbling problem.
I think so. Akers is a much more natural runner. He generally beats the first tackler, which is to say he'll either get positive yardage after contact or outright get by him. Question with Akers is whether he's fully back from that injury and then whether he can hold up.

Trung was a guy with great gifts in the speed department. But he was more like Henderson, who also has excellent athletic gifts but they don't always translate plus he can't stay healthy. Also Trung couldn't pass block for shit, he wasn't a willing guy there. Henderson is sort of going through the motions at it too, he is tentative in putting his head in there and doesn't always diagnose the threat correctly. That's part of the reason why Michel stood out so much doing it once we traded for him.

If they miss on Williams they might want to go back to some self scouting on the how and why they keep prioritizing small pass catchy backs. McVay's offense has always looked incredible with a power threat in the backfield who is rolling. What hurt Michel was the blocking at the point, the Rams simply could not handle some fronts physically.

Ironically enough if they hit on Bruss he might be the piece that allows McVay's RB preference to shine. They have to start winning more in the run game for that to happen. He is very physical so if he can pair with Hav who is also very physical and Higs who is above average himself in run blocking we might have something on that strong side. There is also room for them to win up the middle, which would be really nice to see, but that would also require Edwards to make the strides he didn't make last season. Left side I assume we won't improve in running, just because of how good Whit was in the run game, and I know some are going to start parading PFF in response to that comment but bottom line is Whit was exceptional in that phase, very consistent. Edwards needs to be better and Boom is a new starter so for me that's a question mark, that left side.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think so. Akers is a much more natural runner. He generally beats the first tackler, which is to say he'll either get positive yardage after contact or outright get by him. Question with Akers is whether he's fully back from that injury and then whether he can hold up.

Trung was a guy with great gifts in the speed department. But he was more like Henderson, who also has excellent athletic gifts but they don't always translate plus he can't stay healthy. Also Trung couldn't pass block for shit, he wasn't a willing guy there. Henderson is sort of going through the motions at it too, he is tentative in putting his head in there and doesn't always diagnose the threat correctly. That's part of the reason why Michel stood out so much doing it once we traded for him.

If they miss on Williams they might want to go back to some self scouting on the how and why they keep prioritizing small pass catchy backs. McVay's offense has always looked incredible with a power threat in the backfield who is rolling. What hurt Michel was the blocking at the point, the Rams simply could not handle some fronts physically.

Ironically enough if they hit on Bruss he might be the piece that allows McVay's RB preference to shine. They have to start winning more in the run game for that to happen. He is very physical so if he can pair with Hav who is also very physical and Higs who is above average himself in run blocking we might have something on that strong side. There is also room for them to win up the middle, which would be really nice to see, but that would also require Edwards to make the strides he didn't make last season. Left side I assume we won't improve in running, just because of how good Whit was in the run game, and I know some are going to start parading PFF in response to that comment but bottom line is Whit was exceptional in that phase, very consistent. Edwards needs to be better and Boom is a new starter so for me that's a question mark, that left side.
Ok, but but I am from Missouri on this one, and he better stop fumbling the damn ball in critical games. There is no way Tampa should have come back on us like they did, and one of his fumbles helped them come back from the dead.

I wanna see him succeed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, but but I am from Missouri on this one, and he better stop fumbling the damn ball in critical games. There is no way Tampa should have come back on us like they did, and one of his fumbles helped them come back from the dead.

I wanna see him succeed.
Trying to remember the fumble. I seem to remember it being a fantastic play by Tampa but my memory is shit. Either way when I see a fumble that was a rare type effort by a defender I generally chalk that up to a play made by the defense moreso than blaming the back.

But I agree the fumbles need to stop. Turnovers by our QB also need to be reduced this year. That is the easiest way for them to ensure they win that #1 seed and get the auto bye.

Also one thing I think fans are overlooking is how open the RB room is for Williams. There's fans that think it's crazy for him to win the RB2 role but fact is that the RB room as a whole has disappointed in availability and has also not dominated when available. Much of it has been the line, as I admitted above, but that doesn't change the nature of the RB competition for camp which will allow for a young stud to make a move. Williams is very talented, he's an every down back unlike say Henderson, so he's going to get every opportunity.

Last but not least RBs are best when they're very young with fresh legs. Rookie season is part of their peak tbh. So IMO it will be open season in that backfield and that's why I am certain we see a re-slotting for Henderson to RB3. I just hope that Akers is fully back. If he is then depth looks good with Akers > Williams > Henderson with Henderson finally filling an appropriate role in this offense which he will hopefully be able to stay healthy for.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ranking looks fair to me. We couldn't run the ball for shit last year and really since Gurley declined. This is most definitely an area of need. This offense with even a decent ground game would be almost impossible to keep under 30 PPG.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Ranking looks fair to me. We couldn't run the ball for shit last year and really since Gurley declined. This is most definitely an area of need. This offense with even a decent ground game would be almost impossible to keep under 30 PPG.
Hey! This is no place for objective thought and analysis. Consider yourself warned.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I wanna see him succeed.

If you're really from Missouri, you're a fan of our Mizzou Tigers! M-I-Z!