PFF: Play-caller tendencies and their impact on fantasy stock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...encies-and-their-impact-on-fantasy-stock-pt-2

Barrett-1.jpg

Los Angeles Rams – Sean McVay (2 seasons)

We don’t have much of a sample on the 31-year-old head coach, who will also be calling plays in 2017. In two years as offensive play-caller in Washington, we saw a committee backfield and a committee receiving corps. His WR1 amassed 19.4 percent of the team’s targets (second-fewest), while his WR2 ranked 15th-most, and WR3 (fifth-most). This appears to be just another dent in Sammy Watkins’ fantasy value following his trade to Los Angeles. McVay’s RB1 averaged only 9.0 fantasy points per game (worst), and amassed only 61.0 percent of the team’s running back carries (eighth-worst) and 19.8 percent of the team’s running back targets (worst). Perhaps Lance Dunbar was signed in free agency to compete for the “Chris Thompson role” in McVay’s offense, but following a knee injury (out indefinitely), McVay has talked up Gurley’s ability as a pass-catcher. I’m confident Todd Gurley sees a workload more in line with his career norms than McVay’s, and am also confident in an improvement in efficiency following the departure of mediocrity incarnate Jeff Fisher. McVay featured his tight ends in Washington and has talked about running multiple tight ends sets (including 13 personnel) in press conferences. Only three active play-callers targeted their TE1 more frequently than McVay. Part of that is, of course, due to the luxury of coaching Jordan Reed, but McVay’s arrival in Los Angeles should be encouraging for the dynasty prospects of Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty shrewd article IMO, no real surprises for us however it's interesting to see the heavy usage of his starting WR unit (i.e. WR 2 & 3) as a whole and judging from preseason I'd think that will continue here as a goal at least. Also, I do think Watkins has the ability to settle in as a possession option as well as a deep threat, which could flip the script on this type of stat but still it's thought provoking.

RB is a big question mark there too, in terms of the usage and production. Most of us--myself included--see Gurley as a big play threat, however you can see his offense doesn't feature the RB position. How will McVay approach that, given those struggles he had in the red zone in 2016 (and noting that the Skins were pretty good in the red zone in 2015).

And if these TEs don't benefit from McVay's coaching and offense they're idjits of course.

TexasRam

Legend
I see some flaws in these projections.

Play calling will be dictated by game plan which is based on exploiting matchups based on our personnel vs their personnel, with elements of deception.

The worst thing a play caller can do is become predictable. Mcvay is no Fisher.

There are certain positions that will get more looks in one system vs another. Thank is true. But if I have for example Robert Woods lined up vs Richard Sherman I am looking at other matchups to target.

BadCompany

Rookie
I think it's interesting, and while player matchups will certainly have an impact, it probably all washes out in the end. I'm wondering though if there is any correlation with team record? It would seem to me that a team that is losing is going to target their #1 and #2 WRs more often, as they try to eat up big chunks of yardage in a hurry, instead of checking down with a RB, or even a safety-valve TE.