PFF grades for preseason week 1 @ Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
If you care about such things... take em how you'd like. That Logan Bruss pass protection grade of 7.6 though. :wow2:

PFF grades and notes from Rams’ preseason win over Chargers​

No surprise - Lance McCutcheon and Bryce Perkins were LA’s highest graded offensive players
By JB Scott Aug 15, 2022, 1:05pm CDT

NFL: Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Chargers
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams won their preseason opener on Saturday night - defeating the cross-town rival Los Angeles Chargers in the battle between the SoFi Stadium tenants.
Receiver Lance McCutcheon and quarterback Bryce Perkins played the entire game and carried the offense to victory. The Rams’ offensive line struggled to create much room in the running game, which made it difficult to judge the performance of running backs Jake Funk, Raymond Calais, AJ Rose, and Trey Ragas.
While Robert Rochell, Decobie Durant, and Derion Kendrick have played well in training camp, we only saw them for the first quarter Saturday evening. Jalen Ramsey, David Long, Jr., and Troy Hill are the veteran starters at cornerback, but the young trio will play an important role for LA at times this season.
Here’s how PFF graded the individual performances from the first preseason contest:

Offensive notes:​

Top 5 graded players:​

1 - Lance McCutcheon, WR: 88.8​

2 - Bryce Perkins, QB: 78.9​

3 - Tremayne Anchrum, OL: 71.4​

4 - Jeremiah Kolone, IOL: 70.4​

5 - Jake Funk, RB: 70.4​

McCutcheon is making a strong argument to be included on the team’s initial 53-man roster ahead of the regular season, though the receiver room is deep and the numbers game shifts the odds against him.

Perkins recorded an elite 90.0 running grade, but PFF graded his passing at 64.6. In the same ball park for the passing grade last season were Trevor Siemian, Andy Dalton, Baker Mayfield, and Tyler Huntley - which perhaps builds Perkins’ case as a capable backup in the NFL.

It’s not surprising to see Anchrum as the top-graded OL from Saturday night - he’s in his third year with the team and has been highly regarded since being drafted in 2020. It is surprising to see Jeremiah Kolone ahead of players like Logan Bruss, Bobby Evans, and AJ Jackson. Kolone is somewhat of an afterthought when discussing the OL depth chart, but maybe it’s time we take his candidacy for the 53-man roster more seriously.

Jake Funk graded out higher in the pass game (72.3) than the run game (67.6) after taking a screen pass ten yard, but the offensive line didn’t create much room on the ground. Hopefully that won’t be the case in the remaining two preseason games and we can start to see separation in the running back depth competition.

Other Notes:​

Perkins often had defenders in his face just after the ball was snapped - and it seemed he was running for his life at times.
That’s because the Rams reserve lineman didn’t hold up in pass protection, and Jackson (27.0), Bruss (7.6), Evans (31.4), and AJ Arcuri (25.7) all received failing grades in pass protection.

Defensive notes:​

Top 5 graded players:​

1 - Michael Hoecht, DT: 77.0​

2 - Jake Hummel, MLB: 70.9​

3 - Jake Gervase, MLB: 70.5​

4 - Russ Yeast, DB: 69.3​

5 - Keir Thomas, EDGE: 67.6​

Hoecht received a promising pass rushing grade of 80.5.
Hummel performed well in the tackling front - recording 8 tackles and 3 assists for a grade of 83.0. He also allowed 4 receptions on the same number of targets for 26 yards. Gervase, a converted safety, and Hummel are likely competing for the same roster spot at middle linebacker.
Hoecht, Hummel, and Gervase would be staples on special teams should they make the regular season roster - Hoecht played a ton of special teams reps in the playoffs and Super Bowl a year ago.
Thomas was disruptive rushing the passer - recording 4 total pressures on 15 rushes and earning him a grade of 70.0. PFF has his pass rush win rate at 33.3%, which was the highest figure on the Rams defense.

Other Notes:​

Robert Rochell was only on the field for 15 snaps, and Derion Kendrick and Decobie Durant only played 16. Rochell was targeted twice but did not give up a completion. Kendrick gave up a 4-yard completion on 3 targets. Durant surrendered an 11-yard completion on his only target, and he was also credited for a missed tackle which could be a concern due to his lack of size.

Safety Terrell Burgess, who has been in the coaches’ dog house for the better part of the last year and a half, was credited with the 41-yard touchdown catch and was graded at 41.0 accordingly. This was his only target in pass defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I gotta say.. this all fits with what I saw.

I was kinda getting convinced l, based on other comments here that Alaric Jackson did decent… but he really didn’t. I’m hoping for better.

The Anchrum thing was what I saw. Here’s where I think that gets interesting… I don’t think he has the kind of movement they want in a RG… but if Shelton is getting blown up in Pass Pro & Bruss isn’t ready.. do you sacrifice part of your run game to keep Stafford upright? Anchrum looked like a rock.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
The Big Whit will make an excellent analyst.
He’s going to speak his mind. Love it.

TexasRam

Legend
I gotta say.. this all fits with what I saw.

I was kinda getting convinced l, based on other comments here that Alaric Jackson did decent… but he really didn’t. I’m hoping for better.

The Anchrum thing was what I saw. Here’s where I think that gets interesting… I don’t think he has the kind of movement they want in a RG… but if Shelton is getting blown up in Pass Pro & Bruss isn’t ready.. do you sacrifice part of your run game to keep Stafford upright? Anchrum looked like a rock.
Interesting take. I seem to remember Anchrum having quick feet but it’s been a while since I watched him closely.

He started really showing his potential last preseason I felt. 3rd year in the system and it likely he’s poised to be an above average starter for us now.

Who knows he may be our best option if Bruss and Shelton can’t get er done. Definitely one to watch in preseason.

fearsomefour

Legend
Anchrum was the best OLineman all game, for both teams
He was good.
Jackson was good as well.
I was also pleasantly surprised by Kolone and Brewer. Bruss wasn't terrible, which is good.
Trammell is a promising receiver.
I noticed Hardy and Whitney on the pass rush....didnt even notice Hoecht at all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He was good.
Jackson was good as well.
I was also pleasantly surprised by Kolone and Brewer. Bruss wasn't terrible, which is good.
Trammell is a promising receiver.
I noticed Hardy and Whitney on the pass rush....didnt even notice Hoecht at all.
Concur here and I have to give it to Kolone, he's a much better Center then Guard. Also agree on Trammell as a PR too, practice squad will be prefect for him.

#51 Whitley was getting excellent pressure, while also thought Keir Thomas had a nice game getting snaps in the 2nd half.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Concur here and I have to give it to Kolone, he's a much better Center then Guard.
Jeremiah Kolone's game is his power & ability to hold ground. Coleman Shelton's game is his mobility & ability to hit several targets so it may be they will work well together as a duo if that ever occurs.

IMO Kolone is much bigger thicker stronger at the point of contact center than Shelton. Coach Carberry might be looking for something different trying to find some run-game tough power inside. Kolone's issues have been his cement block feet.

Bobby Evans grades out much better than Alaric Jackson, Logan Bruss & AJ Arcuri.....time to cut or trade off Rob Havenstein.:sarcasm:

If OL'ers (according to PFF grading) Jackson, Bruss & Arcuri playing like :crap: ....Carberry :angry:

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was not excited about Anchrum at the end of last preseason. He didn't play well. This game.. he looked strong, confident and sure at LG.
I think Jackson is inconsistent... and that's why some of us see different things and explains the PFF grade. He can have some REALLY good reps.. but he definitely had a few shitty ones. That's reason for a little bit of worry. With Noteboom? You knew he would have solid reps as a backup to Whit.
Bruss definitely got better as the game went on. Let's see how he starts out on Friday.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Kolone I hope the SJSU kid stays.
Spent four seasons as a signed Ram on the team's Practice Squad since 2018 after going undrafted. Has been cut/waived each year since 2018. When he was @ SJSU said his favorite NFL was the Rams. He has never played in a regular season game.

Tenacious-persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired.:fistbump1::cool:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Spent four seasons as a signed Ram on the team's Practice Squad since 2018 after going undrafted. Has been cut/waived each year since 2018. When he was @ SJSU said his favorite NFL was the Rams. He has never played in a regular season game.

Tenacious-persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired.:fistbump1::cool:
It really says something to go that long and not give up.
I like him of course since my son is a Spartan I may have some bias but Kolone just puts his nose down and does what's asked.
Thanks Boni:thumbsup1:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anchrum held it down in the SEC with plenty of film proving he can play, so I have to think he is at the very least a solid backup. Not sure he's a starter though. Kromes thought he could compete for LT but of course he was fired and probably for the way he projected some guys with his heart instead of his head. Either way happy to see him show well and I'm not averse to them trying him at RG. It's hard to imagine he cannot compete with Shelton. And I like Shelton too, just moreso as a center.

It was cool to see Gervase getting a look at LB too btw. Weird too lol. But it's good to have someone challenging Hummel for that job so that he doesn't just win the ILB4 role by default. And it looks like he's giving him a run for it too, though I'd still opt for Hummel over him due to team control and his consistency in that defense he played in.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Week 1 was certainly his best work to date.
If he can maintain the level and especially if Shelton wins the starting RG spot, Kolone should stick as depth at C.

Wait what ? Funny 3 Badgers & 2 sjs guys. I like Jack Synders upside & think he if nothing else will be a solid Practice Squad guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
First half takes against the Chargers.

The 1 was Cutch had a 20 yards PI drawn as well S his 5 catches.

Hopkins is on special teams & got a couple reps in.

Blanton was in & got BLOWN UP by that DE. Poor block for a guy his size. Great game film for Mcvay just to blast his toughness & lack of effort. You can’t have that no matter what. Better now than in season.

#12(Durrant) got burned which was ok. He did draw a pick that put the Chargers 10 yards back & went for a punt on the series.

The O’Line play ? Will work itself out. Some good things there.

Noticed D. Hardy play more of a inside LBer,which imo seems to have gone UNNOTICED? He said The Rams we’re asking him to play more inside vs. coverage. Justin Hollins & T. Lewis did that a little when Von Miller took over.
— I think the D. Hardy has Athletic ability which really makes him a nice draft pick. He can become very versatile and special teams as well as on defense.
-Whitley imo is actually the better pass rusher than Hardy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The offensive line is actually cool to watch.They are really Cross-Training.
A lot of movement with

Anchrum playing LG & LT
Aj Jackson LT & RG

Arcuri is a GUARD & he is playing RT. He is getting exposed,but on that JJ Koski stretch handoff that play will be broken down in film room. Where that block should come from 1 on 1.IMO he just needs to drive block him. That DT has already committed inside. Maybe a little delay?

I like this Carebery coaching.