OTA Report 6-16-2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mahalo CoachO for the information. I was wondering if it's illegal to take small videos of some of the plays that they ran? It would be awesome if you could take some and post it with your report.:) If you can't its all good.

I don't know if its illegal or not, but I am not gonna find out. I enjoy going too much to jeopardize that. I do know they have asked others in the past to limit their "photo ops" to still shots only. Not that they would really know. But I am not going to put that sort of stuff online for anyone to pirate.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I don't know if its illegal or not, but I am not gonna find out. I enjoy going too much to jeopardize that. I do know they have asked others in the past to limit their "photo ops" to still shots only. Not that they would really know. But I am not going to put that sort of stuff online for anyone to pirate.

I don't want to get you in trouble. I was just wondering. I really do appreciate your reports from OTA's. I am so jealous that you guys get to see them live at least. Mahalo again for the reports CoachO..:)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Players not participating: Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Chase Reynolds, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Sammy Brown, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Maurice Alexander, (may have been others, I overlooked)

Matt Daniels, JaMarcus Joyner, Jake Long participated in unit drills, no team drills.

Two big issues, HEAT, and shaking off the 3 day weekend. We were guests of the Rams, and were afforded the luxury of watching practice from the Board Room, and accompanying balcony. After practice, we were paid a quick visit by Head Coach Jeff Fisher, who thanked US for the support.

He is the one who mentioned the 3 day weekend, and needing to get their legs back especially in the heat.

OBSERVATIONS:
Jake Long was involved more today than any other OTA practice to date. Per Coach Fisher, first time they have him with his helmet. He participated in some of the unit drills, and most all of the walk through stuff.

RB:
Zac Stacy left practice early with cramping issues, (IN THIS BICEP). Again, per Coach Fisher he had bench pressed 500 lbs earlier in the day, which is a Ram record for a RB.
Also getting 1st unit reps at RB were Benny Cunningham, and (WAIT FOR IT) Isaiah PEAD. Taking 2nd unit reps were Tre Mason and Trey Watts

Offensive Line:
LT - Hooey LG - Robinson C - Barnes RG - Joseph RT - Barksdale
LT - Bond LG - Person C - Jones RG - Washington RT - Van Dyk
Rhaney took reps at C, with both Barnes and Jones taking reps at G

WR:
In the interest of being thorough, both Britt and Quick had drops today. (wanted to beat Wagoner to it) One each. But overall, those two were the WRs who stood out more than any of the other WRs.

Quick had a couple of nice catches in the team drills, one deep ball from Hill down the sideline behind the CB and in front of McLeod. Made another highlight type play, closing on a ball on an “out and up” from Hill, and his closing speed on the ball was noticeable. He got behind McGee earlier in the day, only to have the ball underthrown by Davis, which allowed McGee to make up the ground and break up the play, although DPI most likely would have been called.

Britt showed his experience, and his ability to use his size and strength on a number of contested ball. He got deep on Woodard, and used his body to shield him off to complete a 40 yd pass.

Conspicuous by his absence throughout the team drills was Givens. When he did make an appearance it was in the Red Zone 7 on 7 with the 3rd unit.

Others who made plays, were Emory Blake, and TJ Moe. Also getting their fair share of reps, were Pettis, and Bailey.

DB:
Woodard and McGee were taking most of the 1st unit reps, with Cody Davis coming in when they went to the Nickel.

Defense mixed up the sub packages a lot throughout the day. Matching personnel groupings of the offense, there were time when they had 3 man DL fronts, with 3 LBs (30 Nickel) and 5 DBs. Other times they had 5 man DL fronts, with 3 LBs and 3 DBs. My guess would be to expect the unexpected from a G. Williams defense this year.

QB:
Shaun Hill makes plays. Might not look pretty doing it all the time, and his delivery isn’t text book. But the ball gets where it’s supposed to be, and gets there on time.

Austin Davis still seems to struggle in getting the ball out on time. IF his first read isn’t there, he looks totally lost.

Garret Gilbert passes the “look test”. Good size, good arm strength. But you can tell he is still feeling his way.

Bradford didn’t participate today. Will tomorrow and Thursday (according to Fisher), including the full team stuff. A Direct quote from the Head Coach: “Any defensive player who gets within 10 feet of Bradford’s legs will be fired!”

OUTLOOK:
Take this with a grain of salt….. it was a PRACTICE in mid-JUNE, so any commentary is merely conjecture. But this team certainly looks more athletic, faster on both sides of the ball. All the reports of Greg Williams demanding effort and results was evident, especially in the 7 on 7 drills later in the practice.

Paul Boudreau and the OL were right in front of us towards the end of practice, and seeing him teach technique was fun to watch. Footwork for the entire unit, on a particular running play, depending on the def, front.

On a “fun” note. The offense ran the pitch reverse to Austin that he scored vs. Chicago on, and against THIS DEFENSE< was thrown for a 8 yard loss. C. Long AND A. Donald were both waiting for him to reverse his ground and he just cradled.

That’s an overview of what I observed. If anyone has any specific questions, I will do my best to answer them as they come.[/QUOTE]

:popcorn::bow:

Quiet Ram

UDFA
Name
JD
Thanks Coach O for the report. Maybe just maybe this could be a RAM year for a change

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Players not participating: Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, Chase Reynolds, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Sammy Brown, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Maurice Alexander, (may have been others, I overlooked)

Matt Daniels, JaMarcus Joyner, Jake Long participated in unit drills, no team drills.

Two big issues, HEAT, and shaking off the 3 day weekend. We were guests of the Rams, and were afforded the luxury of watching practice from the Board Room, and accompanying balcony. After practice, we were paid a quick visit by Head Coach Jeff Fisher, who thanked US for the support.

He is the one who mentioned the 3 day weekend, and needing to get their legs back especially in the heat.

OBSERVATIONS:
Jake Long was involved more today than any other OTA practice to date. Per Coach Fisher, first time they have him with his helmet. He participated in some of the unit drills, and most all of the walk through stuff.

RB:
Zac Stacy left practice early with cramping issues, (IN THIS BICEP). Again, per Coach Fisher he had bench pressed 500 lbs earlier in the day, which is a Ram record for a RB.
Also getting 1st unit reps at RB were Benny Cunningham, and (WAIT FOR IT) Isaiah PEAD. Taking 2nd unit reps were Tre Mason and Trey Watts

Offensive Line:
LT - Hooey LG - Robinson C - Barnes RG - Joseph RT - Barksdale
LT - Bond LG - Person C - Jones RG - Washington RT - Van Dyk
Rhaney took reps at C, with both Barnes and Jones taking reps at G

WR:
In the interest of being thorough, both Britt and Quick had drops today. (wanted to beat Wagoner to it) One each. But overall, those two were the WRs who stood out more than any of the other WRs.

Quick had a couple of nice catches in the team drills, one deep ball from Hill down the sideline behind the CB and in front of McLeod. Made another highlight type play, closing on a ball on an “out and up” from Hill, and his closing speed on the ball was noticeable. He got behind McGee earlier in the day, only to have the ball underthrown by Davis, which allowed McGee to make up the ground and break up the play, although DPI most likely would have been called.

Britt showed his experience, and his ability to use his size and strength on a number of contested ball. He got deep on Woodard, and used his body to shield him off to complete a 40 yd pass.

Conspicuous by his absence throughout the team drills was Givens. When he did make an appearance it was in the Red Zone 7 on 7 with the 3rd unit.

Others who made plays, were Emory Blake, and TJ Moe. Also getting their fair share of reps, were Pettis, and Bailey.

DB:
Woodard and McGee were taking most of the 1st unit reps, with Cody Davis coming in when they went to the Nickel.

Defense mixed up the sub packages a lot throughout the day. Matching personnel groupings of the offense, there were time when they had 3 man DL fronts, with 3 LBs (30 Nickel) and 5 DBs. Other times they had 5 man DL fronts, with 3 LBs and 3 DBs. My guess would be to expect the unexpected from a G. Williams defense this year.

QB:
Shaun Hill makes plays. Might not look pretty doing it all the time, and his delivery isn’t text book. But the ball gets where it’s supposed to be, and gets there on time.

Austin Davis still seems to struggle in getting the ball out on time. IF his first read isn’t there, he looks totally lost.

Garret Gilbert passes the “look test”. Good size, good arm strength. But you can tell he is still feeling his way.

Bradford didn’t participate today. Will tomorrow and Thursday (according to Fisher), including the full team stuff. A Direct quote from the Head Coach: “Any defensive player who gets within 10 feet of Bradford’s legs will be fired!”

OUTLOOK:
Take this with a grain of salt….. it was a PRACTICE in mid-JUNE, so any commentary is merely conjecture. But this team certainly looks more athletic, faster on both sides of the ball. All the reports of Greg Williams demanding effort and results was evident, especially in the 7 on 7 drills later in the practice.

Paul Boudreau and the OL were right in front of us towards the end of practice, and seeing him teach technique was fun to watch. Footwork for the entire unit, on a particular running play, depending on the def, front.

On a “fun” note. The offense ran the pitch reverse to Austin that he scored vs. Chicago on, and against THIS DEFENSE< was thrown for a 8 yard loss. C. Long AND A. Donald were both waiting for him to reverse his ground and he just cradled.

That’s an overview of what I observed. If anyone has any specific questions, I will do my best to answer them as they come.

:popcorn::bow:[/QUOTE]

Kneel before RamsJunkie
This is gold
Are you kidding me?!!!! Dude thanks for this report - just what I needed

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Kneel before RamsJunkie
This is gold
Are you kidding me?!!!! Dude thanks for this report - just what I needed

So RamsJunkie is getting credit for REPOSTING my report?[/QUOTE]

I tried to do it as a quote to show you I appriciate you doing this report lol guess it didnt work.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So RamsJunkie is getting credit for REPOSTING my report?

I tried to do it as a quote to show you I appriciate you doing this report lol guess it didnt work.[/QUOTE]

I know what you were doing,, no worries,, I guess some people just jumped to page 3 to read it,,, LOL

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I tried to do it as a quote to show you I appriciate you doing this report lol guess it didnt work.

I know what you were doing,, no worries,, I guess some people just jumped to page 3 to read it,,, LOL[/QUOTE]

Forgive me CoachO
It was a brilliant report, read it and got excited - thanks man!!!!
And RamsJunkie is a genius for reposting it otherwise I would have missed it

* wife bought me an iPad, I'm off the laptop and it takes some getting used to

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Coach O: How did you get in to this "position" to see all this...you have a 'ram pass' from the Ram's staff? How are you so well known...? I want to be you!!!

And, thanks for the awesome report......Where were Jenks and Tru?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Coach O, are the O and D lines helping each other a lot by practicing physically rough against each other?:D

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach O, are the O and D lines helping each other a lot by practicing physically rough against each other?:D

Quite the opposite honestly. They are not in pads, they are in helmets, shorts, and practice jerseys,, I don't think they are even wearing "shells". There is very little in the way of anything physical.

Its all about schemes, and working on timing.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach O: How did you get in to this "position" to see all this...you have a 'ram pass' from the Ram's staff? How are you so well known...? I want to be you!!!

And, thanks for the awesome report......Where were Jenks and Tru?

This was by invitation to a group of Season Ticket holders. I found out that they were inviting select ST holders, so I called my sales rep and asked to be included. The group was limited to about 20 people. They apparently "opened" this up for a couple of the OTA workouts, and yesterday was the only one they still had room. I was very fortunate.

Have no idea why Jenkins and Johnson did not participate. Again, while these are important practices, Fisher commented on how far along they are in the installations of they system on both sides of the ball. I would guess that it was simply a case of getting some of the younger guys more reps while they can. There are 2 more OTA practices this week, (today and Thur, I believe), then they cut em loose til July 21st.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You mentioned the technique drills, specifically, how did Robinson look learning his new position, if you had a chance to observe him, and did any of our youngr tackles stand out, footwork/tech wise. I know there is no real contact, just asking about tech and quickness. Thanks, and great report, as always.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just wanted to thank you once again for the reports CoachO. Much appreciated.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You mentioned the technique drills, specifically, how did Robinson look learning his new position, if you had a chance to observe him, and did any of our youngr tackles stand out, footwork/tech wise. I know there is no real contact, just asking about tech and quickness. Thanks, and great report, as always.

The technique stuff was literally just walk thru stuff. Guys standing around while Boudreau showed each guy the footwork involved on a particular play call, against various fronts. He started with Jake Long, then moved to Robinson, then to Barnes. Then they repeated it in unison. It was VERY basic stuff, so not a lot to evaluate.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The technique stuff was literally just walk thru stuff. Guys standing around while Boudreau showed each guy the footwork involved on a particular play call, against various fronts. He started with Jake Long, then moved to Robinson, then to Barnes. Then they repeated it in unison. It was VERY basic stuff, so not a lot to evaluate.
OK, thanks.