OT Question from SB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
If you guys need to move this into the SB thread, that’s fine.

Regardless, I’m a bit stunned no one’s been discussing this.

With 1st and goal, KC has timeouts left and there’s 30 seconds left. They let the clock wind down to 3 seconds and won the game.

My question is why didn’t they call a timeout? If they didn’t get a TD there, then they only have one play left and it has to be a TD.

I just don’t get the logic there but maybe I’m missing something. Could’ve been disastrous for the Chiefs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
At 0:00 the game rolls over to OT 2nd quarter (OT2) and the clock starts at 15:00 again.

If I understand it correctly.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With 0:03, Reid kicks the FG and it goes to 2nd OT

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Time doesn’t end like it does in regular season - it keeps going.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At 0:00 the game rolls over to OT 2nd quarter (OT2) and the clock starts at 15:00 again.

That makes sense, and figured that was the case since it was still their first OT drive.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
No Mac. See Mojo's comment above.

Think of it as an OT Game ... not a regular season OT Quarter.

My point was that if that catch isn’t made, the only way it rolls over is if the Chiefs score that FG as they were down 3.

But yeah, if they’d kicked the FG and it was tied, it would have just rolled over to 2ndOT and not kept doing coin tossed and all that jazz.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My point was that if that catch isn’t made, the only way it rolls over is if the Chiefs score that FG as they were down 3.

OK but it was a little confusing.
The game-winning-TD came on First-and-goal with three seconds on the clock.

When you wrote ...
"With 0:03, Reid kicks the FG and it goes to 2nd OT" ... that suggested K.C. would have to kick a FG.

It would have just been Second-and-goal to open the 2nd quarter in OT,

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Correct. It was like playing another half, which is why each team had 3 timeouts. So if the clock ran out, they just switch sides of the field.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
OK but it was a little confusing.
The game-winning-TD came on First-and-goal with three seconds on the clock.

When you wrote ...
"With 0:03, Reid kicks the FG and it goes to 2nd OT" ... that suggested K.C. would have to kick a FG.

It would have just been Second-and-goal to open the 2nd quarter in OT,

What?

If at the end of the OT period, the Chiefs have the ball and it’s 3rd and goal with the score being SF 22, KC 19… KC gets to keep playing?

I’m trippin or missing something

pvtdragon39

Rookie
Playoff rules were changed recently to make overtime a new game basically. its basically 1 quarter shootout at 0-0. If OT would have ended still tied, OT2 or 6th quarter would have started until someone scored. Cheifs would have started the 6th quarter at same set of downs and yards at the spot like a regular quarter. clock set at 15:00 again.

For all sake, would we get another halftime at end of 6th quarter? hmmmm

I also dont mind these rules as you get a clear winner and no ties. both teams get a chance even with a TD. If you fail to score after allowing a TD thats on you.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I was more puzzled that with 6 seconds left in regulation, the Chiefs didn't try another quick play with Mahomes being told it's either wide open or tossed on the ground in front of a receiver.

Maybe Andy Reid didn't want to take the chance of something happening like a bad snap.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

What? I was thinking the clock was becoming a major factor. I thought they would lose if they ran out of clock. And I’ve never seen that happen in OT before.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Playoff rules were changed recently to make overtime a new game basically. its basically 1 quarter shootout at 0-0. If OT would have ended still tied, OT2 or 6th quarter would have started until someone scored. Cheifs would have started the 6th quarter at same set of downs and yards at the spot like a regular quarter. clock set at 15:00 again.

For all sake, would we get another halftime at end of 6th quarter? hmmmm

I also dont mind these rules as you get a clear winner and no ties. both teams get a chance even with a TD. If you fail to score after allowing a TD thats on you.

Okay, but the Chiefs weren’t tied. They were down 3. So if that TD pass doesn’t happen, the Chiefs still have to make the FG to continue, correct? Since both teams would have had possession.

Right?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
What?

If at the end of the OT period, the Chiefs have the ball and it’s 3rd and goal with the score being SF 22, KC 19… KC gets to keep playing?

I’m trippin or missing something
You're not following my friend.

It's NOT an OT Quarter. It's an OT Game.

If the Chiefs did not score the TD and the clock hit zero, then the next play ... 2nd or 3rd and goal ... would simply carry-over to the 2nd Quarter in the OT Game ... NOT a Second Overtime.

Basically, the clock was not a factor in that situation. Dopey Romo even explained it right before the score.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Okay, but the Chiefs weren’t tied. They were down 3. So if that TD pass doesn’t happen, the Chiefs still have to make the FG to continue, correct? Since both teams would have had possession.

Right?

No.

The TD came on 1st and goal.
K.C. had two more plays (2nd and 3rd down) before it had to try a FG for the tie to continue the game.
The clock (with three seconds to play) meant nothing.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
That’s weird.

I get the rule that both teams get a possession even with a TD.

But to make it an entire half?

Strange and weird.

Don’t fully get it, but I’m sure the media will beat us to death with the explanations…

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Right?

That's not the way they explained it in the broadcast. The chiefs could keep going as long as they possessed the ball. The ref said at the coin toss that they are beginning a new game. They each get one possession then it turns into next score wins.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That’s weird.

I get the rule that both teams get a possession even with a TD.

But to make it an entire half?

Strange and weird.

Don’t fully get it, but I’m sure the media will beat us to death with the explanations…
As long as we are clear on what is Truly Important.

Satan's team lost. Niners fans are miserable. World Order has been Restored.