Opinions on which Rookies will win starting roles this season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
The only one with a shot to start is Earnest Jones. Brown and Atwell will see snaps. Funk may see some FB snaps. That is about it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The only one with a shot to start is Earnest Jones. Brown and Atwell will see snaps. Funk may see some FB snaps. That is about it.
Agree, Jones has the best opportunity because Kiser or Howard can't stay healthy. Young is not consistent enough and Reeder can't tackle a 70yr old RB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Based on what I saw from A’shawn Robinson late last season I think B. Brown starts ahead of him. Brown is more physical and plays meaner. Plus, Henderson will love him if he works hard.

Jones maybe. If not then by mid season. But having the linebackers coach pulling for you and seeing how revered that coach is in McVay’s eyes, I’d say the odds are pretty good for Jones to start.

With Rochell being Morris’ pick I think they will do everything possible to get some playing time. May we see a guy like along get cut?
Sure they are. And sometimes they play on shitty teams and are picked really high, so not only are they good but there's a spot waiting for them. The good thing is, the Rams don't actually need any of the rookies to start. But of all the positions, LB is the most likely.

Jacksonville picked 4 guys in the first 45 selections. They'll have some starters.
The Jets, 3 in the first 34.
Kyle Pitts will start for Atlanta (and probably on almost any other team in the NFL).
So yeah, sometimes rookies are just good.
Finding many starters in this draft which was shallow in talent and McVay stated would be more of a depth draft, will be tough.

kupp, everett, john johnson
rapp, edwards, evans
akers, jefferson, fuller, burgess

mcvay plays rookies if they're good enough, or healthy when starters are out.

Yeah he’s started rookies. I don’t recall why it’s become a common idea that he doesn’t.
Funk will be in to block for Stafford on 3rd and long obvious pass plays. Akers and Hendy are unreliable picking up blitz's. I see Funk taking Malcolm Brown's role as early as game one.
Woah Nelly!!!! Bold prediction, which I have not considered. I would think they had an idea of someone being able to pick up the blitz. Maybe McVay will just scheme things so opponents won’t blitz :explode:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I looked at game tape of last year focusing on when Rams were 3rd and long in obvious passing situations. Henderson is completely lost and wiffed repeatedly. Akers was almost as bad. McVay tried them early on and went soley with Brown as the season progressed. Now Brown is gone. Funk is bigger and more techniqully sound at recognizing blitz'.

We'll see, but I'm betting One of Funks main jobs will be protecting Stafford on passing down's, at least until Akers and Hendy can become more dependable at it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yeah he’s started rookies. I don’t recall why it’s become a common idea that he doesn’t.
I think this idea began when Noteboom and Allen were clearly "groomed" as rookies to become starters in their second season. The problem is that OL doesn't regularly sub players so outside of injuries or garbage time, both did get garbage time snaps, backups won't play.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The draft is about depth. Every year we get fan favorites that are drafted but end up lucky to make the team much less the game day roster. The NFL is another level of football these rookies will have to learn. And with the ongoing decommitment of the player's union to offseason workouts (voluntary...), there won't be the reps to get them a chance. Later in the year maybe a chance. But other than Brown (2nd team reps...) and Jones or Harris(ST), I can't see anyone else making the game day roster (w/o an injury or 2....). And no Funk will not be in on 3rd down. Blitz pickups are some of the hardest thing rooks have problems with. You'll see Akers in there on 3rd down or Henderson if he's in the passing patterns.

nighttrain

Legend
All the newbies but DT Brown will be on field in first game, first play. Our special teams anything but special last season, worst in league by almost all definitions, and these draftees all special team demons from reports
train
ps do not see any need for a plus 300 lber (Brown) on receiving or kickoff teams

oldnotdead

Legend
Garrett is another guy who doesn't exactly have an elite group of guys ahead of him on the depth chart. If he can show his game plays right away in camp he'll definitely factor in to the rotation.

In that Hula Bowl game he played in his speed was there and he was a threat off that edge, but he got pushed down to the ground quite a bit. In the NFL that will be more of a risk with bigger and more athletic LTs. So I think he needs a lot of lower body strength work. Lot of squat work basically and core. If he can do that he's got the getup to factor in, so the guy is a really intriguing late round pick.

I definitely don't disagree with what you are saying. Just as I see Jones as a replacement for Kiser, I see Garrett as Okoronkwo's replacement as like Kiser he also is in a contract year with a minimal dead cap this year if they pull the trigger early. To his credit, Okoronkwo has come a long way but he took too long and the improvement IMO hasn't been enough. This was why I felt when Chris was drafted, that Ogbo was being replaced.

I feel Garrett is further along than Okoronkwo was as a rookie with perhaps a bit higher ceiling. He like most late-round rookies Chris needs to gain muscle weight and that will help him, along with improvements in his technique. The problem with Okoronkwo is he didn't make a big jump in his second year. It wasn't until his 3rd season that the improvements were noticeable but IMO not enough considering the time and where they wanted him to be.

DE/OLB opposite Floyd is the only question mark on the defensive front and only because of Lewis' (who IMO is the pencilled in starter) injury history. Also, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Jonah Williams pushes Lewis for the start. Williams is faster with some real potential. I think we will see both Terrell and Jonah in the rotation early in the season not only to protect Terrell but because I don't think there will be much if any drop off with Jonah. With those two in front of Garrett if he shows anything at all it opens the option to release Okoronkwo this year.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not counting injuries the only one I could see out right starting on play 1, week 1 is Jones. Rochel if we start the game in a nickel package. By the end of the season though I would not be surprised to see BB3 starting. I'd say Atwell and Harris has a good chance but that's more because of an injury probability.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel Garrett is further along than Okoronkwo was as a rookie with perhaps a bit higher ceiling. He like most late-round rookies Chris needs to gain muscle weight and that will help him, along with improvements in his technique. The problem with Okoronkwo is he didn't make a big jump in his second year. It wasn't until his 3rd season that the improvements were noticeable but IMO not enough considering the time and where they wanted him to be.

DE/OLB opposite Floyd is the only question mark on the defensive front and only because of Lewis' (who IMO is the pencilled in starter) injury history. Also, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Jonah Williams pushes Lewis for the start. Williams is faster with some real potential. I think we will see both Terrell and Jonah in the rotation early in the season not only to protect Terrell but because I don't think there will be much if any drop off with Jonah. With those two in front of Garrett if he shows anything at all it opens the option to release Okoronkwo this year.
lol. I guess Garrett is going to miraculously gain enough weight and technique to defend the run in one offseason to displace Obo.

No way imo. Besides, the best case scenario is that OBO starts and improves his play to at the very least get the Rams a comp pick by signing with another team or ends up sticking with the Rams as a rotational piece since they can’t rely on Lewis’ bad knee.

But you want to replace him with a flawed speed rusher that is weak against the run and struggled to bend when rushing the passer, and for OBO to be cut. It’s more likely Garrett gets cut.

Your love for practice squad players is funny. The Rams just drafted replacements for Brockers and Fox instead of relying on some of the practice squad guys that you have raved about all season.

Garrett was taken on upside and projection, not to displace anyone. He’s a low risk roll of the dice.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

I see funk on special teams. Does McVay even use a true full back?

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Doesn't starting on ST's mean "starting" as well? If he can stay off the IR.
I could see Jake Funk getting a shot at kick return. He has good hands, good vision. slippery enough
8.6 yds per carry in shortened season. Came in 2nd in nation in YPC. 5' 10" 210LBS
Watching him run, he just looks like a KR.

ST's need a shot of adrenalin. We have to find someone who can be a threat in the return game