Opinions on which Rookies will win starting roles this season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
While I think several rookies (Atwell, Rochell, Harris, etc) will get a good amount of playing time this season the only Rookies I think who will win starting roles with the Rams before the end of the season are LB Ernest Jones and DT Bobby Brown but I would like to get other opinions/thoughts from other Rams Fans.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
With how the rams play rookies, I doubt any of them will start but they could work into some small rotation. Brown is not going to start over robinson, day or gaines.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ernest Jones will start at ILB, he'll be the first one off the field in the nickel & dime packages as the Rams hope to finally see what Tavin Howard can do at the other ILB position as Howard will stay on the field being a former safety should be better in coverage.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would think Jones has the best shot at starting. His position isn't deep. Rochelle is a raw talent and might need more time. Atwell is going to be the gimmick guy in certain packages. Not a starter. The others will need time to break in. Brown might see some rotational time on the defensive line.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If you're a 10-6 team (43-21 last 4 seasons), don't have a first round draft pick and rookies make the starting lineup, something is wrong. Either you know waaaay more than other teams or you have a deficiency among you're starters. I think we're all in agreement, the most likely to win a starting job is ILB Jones. I doubt anybody else sniffs a starting job.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Jones has the best chance, I can't see Brown beating anybody out on our DL. Some of these guys might play alot on special teams.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure just hope the majority provide solid play while on the field.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Good question. The correct answer is probably none, at least come opening day.

i, too, think Jones might claim that 2-down starting position at some point, but who knows exactly when.

The others will fighting for rotational snaps so they can develop. That’s the Ram plan, anyway, barring a Fuller type very pleasant surprise.

There’s gonna be some excruciating final cuts again this year as good players are released to make room for ST upgrades.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hopefully, we stay healthy enough where we won't need any of them to start this season.
With the exception of STs.

oldnotdead

Legend
Tutu, Harris and Rochell I can easily see getting some rotational snaps. But by enlarge look at who the starters are in front of them. There are no vacancies for starters. I think Garrett might play before Jones. Jones is raw and has flaws in his game that he can't afford at this level. He's basically Kiser's replacement behind Reeder. In fact he's got a lot in common with Kiser. But Jones will have to make his "bones" on STs this year. Perhaps his biggest flaw technique-wise is his film shows he often has problems stacking and shedding blockers, a big problem for an ILB. It's also coupled with how he was often blown out of his gap assignment. Again I think he might make the roster but on STs for now.

Chris Garrett is a tweener between OLB and ILB. He has good length, and though he lacks long speed he has a very good first step. I don't really see him as an OLB but as an ILB. But regardless of where he plays he will need to strengthen and improve his technique. The problem with his OLB play is his inability to set a hard edge and didn't show the flexibility to bend around a OT in pass rushing. He has shown enough to earn himself a roster spot on STs. If he progresses well I see him in a rotational role next year. Again he's typical of Snead drafting for traits. Garrett has good length, with long arms and a good first step. I don't see him as a starter anytime soon because of his lack of long speed, but he certainly can become a very good rotational LB.

Both the Browns have a whole lot of technique work and conditioning to do before they are NFL ready. The few months of OTAs and camps might not be long enough this year, since so much of it is still virtual and not on the field. Ben Skowronek looks like just a ST player right now. It's his ticket on to the roster, to flash in STs drills in camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you look only at roster strength and the opportunity that provides....

1. TE. The Rams will certainly run 12 sets. How much depends largely on the quality of that second TE. So it looks to me like it will dip this year. But when they do run 12 sets you see major opportunity knocking for Harris. His competition is Mundt, who was pedestrian at best last year (his run blocking disappointed me even), and Hopkins, who couldn't sniff the field when TE was a MASH unit. Skowronek might factor in here too, he's just as much a fit at F as the others tbh. And lastly Harris and Skowronek both loom as teams core unit types which means if they win those roles (which is likely) they will be dressed and available on many weeks to get some actual snaps with the offense.

2. ILB. Reeder was surprising in a lot of ways last season. I think he is stiffer competition for Jones than Hopkins/Mundt is for Harris. Now TE is a harder position to start as a rookie though, so Jones is probably the most likely starter of the class. But I think the challenge from Reeder will be strong. It's likely Jones won't win the job until maybe midseason when he really has a strong grasp of the defense, but if he's as smart as they say then yeah I could see him being a week one starter.

3. 5T. This all comes down to Robinson. The Rams' picks demonstrate they're not fully sold on Robinson, which I applaud. If we get the good version of Robinson this season then none of these rooks will sniff starts year one. But if we get the shitty version of Robinson then I think the Browns are in play. Now maybe I should list this as DL and consider B Brown for NT. But I think the Rams are solid on the nose and 5T is where they need improved play the most.

There are of course a lot of other elements at work here. Draft position for example also matters in the minds of coaches. So I'm sure Tutu will be given every opportunity to get on the field. But he has a much tougher roster to crack then the above.

Just looking at the list I think we might feel Harris a bit on the field this season. The guy is raw certainly. But he's aggressive and physical too. IMO that is a combination (along with a pretty high draft spot) that the Rams' coaches will seize upon and push to try to get him involved.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Late season, i'll go with Jones, Atwell & Brown.

TE2 behind Higs will be interesting all summer & all season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Like most everyone else I think Jones has the opportunity to jump in and take a spot right away. None of our ILBs have been impressive or healthy. If he is as smart as billed, he can be a piece that has been unfilled for many years.

If we are counting ST Funk could be our new return man and I consider that a starting role. It would be great not to be waiting for a fumble on every return.

It’s great to see the Rams not have a lot of holes that need to be filled by rookies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Chris Garrett is a tweener between OLB and ILB. He has good length, and though he lacks long speed he has a very good first step. I don't really see him as an OLB but as an ILB. But regardless of where he plays he will need to strengthen and improve his technique. The problem with his OLB play is his inability to set a hard edge and didn't show the flexibility to bend around a OT in pass rushing. He has shown enough to earn himself a roster spot on STs. If he progresses well I see him in a rotational role next year. Again he's typical of Snead drafting for traits. Garrett has good length, with long arms and a good first step. I don't see him as a starter anytime soon because of his lack of long speed, but he certainly can become a very good rotational LB.
Garrett is another guy who doesn't exactly have an elite group of guys ahead of him on the depth chart. If he can show his game plays right away in camp he'll definitely factor in to the rotation.

In that Hula Bowl game he played in his speed was there and he was a threat off that edge, but he got pushed down to the ground quite a bit. In the NFL that will be more of a risk with bigger and more athletic LTs. So I think he needs a lot of lower body strength work. Lot of squat work basically and core. If he can do that he's got the getup to factor in, so the guy is a really intriguing late round pick.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Ernest Jones will start at ILB, he'll be the first one off the field in the nickel & dime packages as the Rams hope to finally see what Tavin Howard can do at the other ILB position as Howard will stay on the field being a former safety should be better in coverage.

Who do you think gets the green dot on their helmet on defense?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Start? None McVay has said we don't need a starter from the draft so I don't think any do. Some will end up getting significant time barring injuries like Atwell. McVay didn't stress speed as much as he did to not play him and DJax health permitting a lot.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The only rookie in this class I see starting is Ernest Jones. There are others (Bobby Brown III, Earnest Brown IV, Rochell, and Atwell) who will play specific roles. Still others (Harris, Funk, Skowronek, maybe Garrett, maybe Ford) who will be special teams demons at first.