One has to ask the question.... Westbrooks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I firmly believe they drafted Sam as a favor to the league for sure, and maybe to silent Stan as well.

The confusing thing to me is why with so many late picks, that they did NOT draft Westbrooks.

Now THERE is where we differ,I think the league was the furthest thing from their minds ,a favor to Stan,I'm on board with and I can admire that,but doing it to take the heat off the league,that would upset me cuz that's piss poor reason to do it,for the Patriots? Really ,for the Niners? Nah, we came in last in our division last year and we draft FOR THEM ?????????????????????? doesn't fit my way of thinking in any way and it'd piss me off if I was in the Rams war room and that as a motive was advanced by someone outside or inside

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd seen some draft boards showing Michael Sam as high as a 4th rounder. I figured he was a bargain at 7. Westbrooks? IMO there's 2-3 "Westbrooks" every year on every team. You know the guy who played at a small school with tons of question marks. The team picks him up as a UDFA knowing that he'll likely flame out, but they take the chance in case he turns out to be a, well, they hope he turns out to be an Ethan Westbrooks....

iced

I'd seen some draft boards showing Michael Sam as high as a 4th rounder. I figured he was a bargain at 7. Westbrooks? IMO there's 2-3 "Westbrooks" every year on every team. You know the guy who played at a small school with tons of question marks. The team picks him up as a UDFA knowing that he'll likely flame out, but they take the chance in case he turns out to be a, well, they hope he turns out to be an Ethan Westbrooks....

kinda like a george selvie?.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Eh, Westbrooks was a bigger name for a D-II guy. I gotta disagree. Personally, I think that the Rams likely had Westbrooks rated equally or higher than Sam but made the Sam move to make a statement and as a favor to a kid who showed a lot of courage.

But that's conjecture. Here's a little blurb on Westbrooks from SI right before the Draft:
http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/05/07/2014-nfl-draft-sleepers-defense
DE Ethan Westbrooks, West Texas A&M

Westbrooks came to Division II by way of Sacramento City College, and hit the national radar when he amassed 19.5 sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss in 2012. With every opponent lining up to over-block him in 2013, he still grabbed seven sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss, and he further proved his worth when he was named the Defensive MVP of the East-West Shrine Game with two sacks against tougher competition. Westbrooks flies off the handle at times (he's known for an obscene amount of offside penalties), but he's strong, very quick and could turn into a dominant NFL strongside defensive end who can move inside to five-tech tackle in the right environment.

He's not really what I'd call a "flier" UDFA. He's one of those crowned jewel type gets. In that, he was a big name that many saw getting drafted in the 5th through 7th rounds.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, Westbrooks was a bigger name for a D-II guy. I gotta disagree. Personally, I think that the Rams likely had Westbrooks rated equally or higher than Sam but made the Sam move to make a statement and as a favor to a kid who showed a lot of courage.

Had he been their last pick, I'd give credence to the conspiracy theory, but the pick of Demetrius Rhaney after Sam kinda seals it for me.
Dallas had 2 shots at Westbrooks after Sam and they too waited for UDFA period to go after him.

bskrilla

Starter
I can't imagine why the front office would have to make any excuses for drafting the Co-SEC DPotY in the 7th round. And even IF one of the reasons was to make him the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL that's a pretty damn good reason to me.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 with the catch of the day:
point well made, however Bond, I believe is of the 2013 class....Van Dyk & Rhaney were drafted? Really?
Good catch! I wasn't thinking that well before I wrote that was I? (y) :LOL: I blame it on my wife's bad memory. :ROFLMAO:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had he been their last pick, I'd give credence to the conspiracy theory, but the pick of Demetrius Rhaney after Sam kinda seals it for me.
Dallas had 2 shots at Westbrooks after Sam and they too waited for UDFA period to go after him.

They had already picked a DE in Sam. Likely wanted to secure Rhaney for a reason. And I don't think it's a conspiracy. It's simply the Rams making a token gesture.

The thought process in the 7th round isn't as straight-forward as people believe. There are definitely players that teams have higher grades on than the guys they drafted that fall into the UDFA pool for one reason or another.

Dallas had already picked two DEs. That late in the 7th, they likely went for positions where they felt they had a greater need to address with players they favored highly.

In that situation, unless there's a massive difference in grades, you're going to see a team try to address a position of need more likely or a specific role.

Alan

Legend
flv talking apples to my oranges:
In 2012 the Rams selected Pead ahead of Johnson. They did so because they had already selected Jenkins. If Jenkins hadn't been available the Rams would have selected Johnson at #39. Perhaps the Rams didn't select Westbrooks because they had already added depth with Sam. If they selected Westbooks 1st they might not have selected Sam.
That makes good sense to me flv. But...you're forgetting an important part of the equation that I mentioned in my earlier post. " When you're that low in the draft you draft BPA don't you?". You can't afford to waste your resources early in the draft but when you're in the lower rounds (like the 7th) then it's BPA because quantity gives you a better chance to hit on one. The only limitation to that is finding enough playing time in OTAs and TC if you have too many players at one position. IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had already picked a DE in Sam. Likely wanted to secure Rhaney for a reason. And I don't think it's a conspiracy. It's simply the Rams making a token gesture.

The thought process in the 7th round isn't as straight-forward as people believe. There are definitely players that teams have higher grades on than the guys they drafted that fall into the UDFA pool for one reason or another.

Dallas had already picked two DEs. That late in the 7th, they likely went for positions where they felt they had a greater need to address with players they favored highly.

In that situation, unless there's a massive difference in grades, you're going to see a team try to address a position of need more likely or a specific role.
IMO, there's no such thing as a token gesture in the NFL.
That's conspiracy theory to me.
The Rams had Westbrooks on their radar, I get that, and applaud them for it.
Clearly, they felt that he would be available in UDFA and was worth passing up at the time.
Atlanta, in need of edge rushers took 2 olb after Sam was picked and let him slip through the cracks as well.
If there's a debate to be had its why they chose Rhaney over Westbrooks

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Exactly ,and would then suggest some quid pro qou, and therefore the question as to who else got them and on and on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not sure how one could come to that conclusion. The Rams invited Ferguson high schools to training camp and gave them preseason tickets. The Buccaneers signed a paralyzed kid to their team. There are numerous examples of teams, including the Seahawks, that have kept players on their roster or injured reserve despite the player having a career ending injury so the player would receive his pension and benefits.

There are plenty of token gestures. And I'm not even calling this one an empty token gesture since Sam can play and the Rams likely rated him as draftable. I'm only saying that it's very possible that they opted to draft Sam over Westbrooks as a gesture and because of what it meant rather than because he was the better player.

The Rams had Westbrooks on their radar, I get that, and applaud them for it.
Clearly, they felt that he would be available in UDFA and was worth passing up at the time.
Atlanta, in need of edge rushers took 2 olb after Sam was picked and let him slip through the cracks as well.
If there's a debate to be had its why they chose Rhaney over Westbrooks

Again, I'd say they chose Rhaney because they felt he addressed a greater need and wanted to secure that need before UDFA.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It sucks that we may have too many good players, what the fuck was Snead thinking when he made these moves?!?!?!?!

Dick84

Many have pointed this out... The Rams drafted Rhaney... So, there's that. Pretty munch kills any conspiracy thoughts for me.

I do think Fisher & Snead liked the idea of becoming a part of NFL & pro sports history as well... But the football "value" of taking Sam in the 7th is absolutely there.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
wow.... we really need some real football right about now. no reason this thread should've gone on for 4 pages...