One has to ask the question.... Westbrooks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Just why did the Rams draft Michael Sam and NOT Westbrooks?

I would LOVE to hear the "real" answer to that one though we know we'll never get it.

I mean they offer Westbrooks a LOT of $$ as far as UDFA's go, and he certainly looks the part.

So WHY didn't they draft him instead of Sam?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I've said it before and I'll say it again Stan Kroenke wanted us to draft him cuz he's a Mizzou kid and all the other stuff,he wasn't gonna let the kid go undrafted.They( Fish, Sbead ) said they conferred with Stan on the pick ,just how many other picks did they do that on? I say NONE.
But I'm completely OK with it ,aren't you?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They could have taken Westbrooks with Rhaneys pick as well.

They could have still drafted Wesrbrooks.

A55VA6

Legend
I think it's obvious Fisher wanted to be a good guy and draft Sam, bring him into a good situation, and give him a fair opportunity to make the roster.

Westbrooks had plenty of red flags from what I've read and they probably took Sam, hoping Westbrooks would go undrafted and offer him more $ to seal the deal. Either way, the Rams really struck gold in my opinion. Westbrooks looks to be a damn solid player who can play inside and out and Sam has looked pretty good as well. I think they'll both make the team.

jjab360

Legend
On one hand we have the co-SEC DPOY who led the conference in sacks and TFL, and on the other hand we have a guy who played Division II football and has a face tattoo. Is this a serious question??

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
there's always just the real possibility that Westrbrooks has simply surprised a lot of the Rams staff. idk I'm not the one out there scouting but surprise players come out of everywhere.

Debacled

Starter
Draft boards are just that, draft boards.

Its not unheard of a player to end up looking better, playing better, or in fact being better once on the team than what they thought of him when slotted on the draft board.

Wouldn't it be something if every player ended up being exactly what teams saw before they were drafted?

jjab360

Legend
there's always just the real possibility that Westrbrooks has simply surprised a lot of the Rams staff. idk I'm not the one out there scouting but surprise players come out of everywhere.
Exactly. At the end of the day they had Sam higher on their draft board. Just because one player looks better than the other right now, doesn't mean the Rams could see the future and know it was going to turn out that way. This is a ridiculous topic, imo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hard to say. They might have known Westbrooks wasn't on anyone else's radar just as well. I'm just not sure you can look at many players after the middle of the first round and say where a team has them on their draft board and why.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Exactly. At the end of the day they had Sam higher on their draft board. Just because one player looks better than the other right now, doesn't mean the Rams could see the future and know it was going to turn out that way. This is a ridiculous topic, imo.
No not ridiculous at all,but people can make it that way,it's worth talking about in a courteous manner

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
As a true Son of Mizzou and Columbia I have a hard time seeing Michael Sam having a role in the NFL.....great college player but I just don't know that his size and abilities translate to the next level. He seems like a one trick pony in pass rush moves and while I hope he makes the team if I have to choose between he and Westbrooks I choose the latter

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
As a true Son of Mizzou and Columbia I have a hard time seeing Michael Sam having a role in the NFL.....great college player but I just don't know that his size and abilities translate to the next level. He seems like a one trick pony in pass rush moves and while I hope he makes the team if I have to choose between he and Westbrooks I choose the latter
And PS Sam give him a year in the weight room to add muscle and some more explosiveness

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
And PS Sam give him a year in the weight room to add muscle and some more explosiveness

The ability to turn the corner is definitely there....the problem is he is a step too light in the britches right now for the NFL and needs to add more to his arsenal. Practice squad is a perfect place for him. If he is dedicated and works hard I could see him replacing Sims for example at some point.....because there are about 28 or so teams that Sims could start for......easily.

Tweed335

UDFA

Personally, if the Rams don't sign Sam to the 53 man roster, he ain't makin it to the PS. Another team would sign him in an instant to start, for his ability not any social implications.

The only reason we're splitting hairs between Sam and Westbrooks, imo, is our bevy of DE or in particular our DL talent.

To make this a social issue, conspiracy, is ridiculous because if the dude couldn't play he'd be on the bubble. But he's not.

A one trick pony pass rusher was drafted a couple years ago on DL, Quinn, and he turned out to be a well rounded DL. Besides, one trick pony pass rushers do not come along often, or cheap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He seems to be a tweener to me but what do I know. Just doesn't seem to have the power to hold up on the line and doesn't seem to possess the tools to be a very good OLB at this level. Maybe with some time and NFL level position coaching, he can change that but for now, Westbrooks just looks to be the better D-lineman.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The only reason we're splitting hairs between Sam and Westbrooks, imo, is our bevy of DE or in particular our DL talent.
Yeah - I'd agree with that.

I'm not sure however that Sam gets snatched up from the practice squad but even if he does, that is a risk you take with any PS player. If you are worried about that, you shouldn't put him there. But SOMEONE has to take his place or be cut. Personally, I think from what I've seen, NO WAY does Westbrooks not get snatched up if we put him on the PS. And there is a reason for that IMO. He is the better player at this level.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Westbrooks has some ability off the edge, he could develop into a swing man that can play 3rd down at either DE or DT.......he is a find imho

Tweed335

UDFA
Yeah - I'd agree with that.

I'm not sure however that Sam gets snatched up from the practice squad but even if he does, that is a risk you take with any PS player. If you are worried about that, you shouldn't put him there. But SOMEONE has to take his place or be cut. Personally, I think from what I've seen, NO WAY does Westbrooks not get snatched up if we put him on the PS. And there is a reason for that IMO. He is the better player at this level.

You may correct about the order, but I would guarantee that both would be gone shortly after they were cut.

But not on a social aspect. Sam's clearly got talent and on a less talented roster he would be just as valuable as Westbrooks.

I don't think Sam being on the team is a ploy as the OP suggests.

jjab360

Legend
No not ridiculous at all,but people can make it that way,it's worth talking about in a courteous manner
Maybe the topic itself isn't ridiculous, but the implications behind the topic are. Michael Sam was a great college player, nobody had even heard of Westbrooks before the draft.

And then there's the basis that the Rams somehow knew exactly how good both players were going to be yet still drafted Sam over Westbrooks anyway. It's pretty funny how that gives the Rams FO way too much credit and yet no credit at all, all at the same time.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well if no one drafted Sam cuz he was gay, then he sounds like a damn good PS candidate. It's genius really, you can put him on the PS to coach him up for a year and not worry about some team picking him up because everyone had already passed on him. Not to say it couldn't happen but I think it definitely benefits us with his "distraction" that teams wouldn't want to waste an active roster spot on the game day 53 for a possible PS headcase, even though that is not the case at all.