Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like Darrell Williams is gone.
Demby played LT in the 2nd half & held up well IMO, thus the Rams will go with 2 rookie OT's both who have seen a ton of starts for many seasons @ LT. I am fine with this(y)

So Whitworth, Havenstien, Noteboom, Demby & then there always Saffold. By the way did anyone recall that that dinky current starting OG named Austin Blythe started a full game @ RT for the Colts.....

TexasRam

Legend
Lucas cut was a given.

Williams - thought he would make it because he’s a tackle and showed some nice snaps in preseason.

But when you consider the flexibility we have with Saffold and Demby able to kick out to tackle it makes sense.

Tackle depth probaly goes Noteboom, Saffold, Demby.

Guard depth may go Blythe, Noteboom Demby, Allen.

center depth- Blythe, Allen.

lots of flexibility with the backups.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lucas and Williams didn't help themselves yesterday. Rams go with the younger guys.

Good call ! I didn’t watch the game yesterday.
Just thought Williams was improving & given every chance he could be given. Lucas was not as good in my view. It must mean The Rams will keep an extra TE or WR ??

Kromer says he likes to only keep 7 to 8 players on game day.

I don’t know exactly how to transfer the Rod dollars for wager. Can’t say I’m disappointed, but I did waste a lot of time watching him. There was nothing special about Williams as a player. The fact he signed a 1 year deal showed the lack of faith in him.

TexasRam

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/Rich_Hammond/status/1034217900188479488

Looks like Blythe is the starting at RG for games 1 & 2. Alllen makes the team as the backup C, along with Noteboom, the 3rd tackle. Agree with others Demby would not make it to the practice squad if cut.

Where does this leave Brown is interesting. Does he have a job if Blythe performs well in his place.

Umm. Yes. Brown is back in the starting lineup for game 3. People like to hate on him but Brown was an outstanding guard last year for us.

Jamon gave up the most pressures of any guard in the first 5 games of 2017 but really turned it on after that. He ended 2017 with zero sacks and had only 1 holding call.

Look at this stat from PFF:

Highest pass blocking efficiency among guards over the last five weeks (min. 100 pass blocking plays):
1. Jamon Brown (LA) - 99.4
t-2. James Hurst (BAL) - 98.7
t-2. David DeCastro (PIT) - 98.7
4. Joe Thuney (NE) - 98.6
5. John Jerry (NYG) - 98.4

Brown is on a Pro Bowl Trajectory for 2018 if he can pickup where he left off in 2017. He also get huge push in the run game compared to Blythe.

Also, with Allen being very raw still, Blythe remains our only serious backup at center, so playing Blythe at RG when Brown can play the position doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am very pleased with this 2018 Kromer OL. There's a real nice composition of nine OLers here. Great mix of vets and youth and talents. Kromer has just what he prefers in his OL cadre.

The premier Kromer find and early development of Noteboom is just so satisfying and fills a major need for this offense now and towards the future. Please tell me when was the last time that the Rams drafted a rookie swing OT this technically sound?

Then Snead and Kromer follow up on a tough mean fighter who has no quit in him for the three interior OL posts. Then they go find Saffold cloan in Jamil Demby with Sneads #6th pick . I would expect that Kromer will push for Aaron Neary OC/OG and Jake Eldrenkamp OG/RT to the PS.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am very pleased with this 2018 Kromer OL. There's a real nice composition of nine OLers here. Great mix of vets and youth and talents. Kromer has just what he prefers in his OL cadre.

The premier Kromer find and early development of Noteboom is just so satisfying and fills a major need for this offense now and towards the future. Please tell me when was the last time that the Rams drafted a rookie swing OT this technically sound?

Then Snead and Kromer follow up on a tough mean fighter who has no quit in him for the three interior OL posts. Then they go find Saffold cloan in Jamil Demby with Sneads #6th pick . I would expect that Kromer will push for Aaron Neary OC/OG and Jake Eldrenkamp OG/RT to the PS.

Kolone The is udFA from SJ state.

Fully going with the youth to develop along with The Big 5 !!’ McVay has said from the beginning he like the 3 rookies. I thought Williams was the only veteran who would make the squad. No use wasting practice reps
On Williams. Better to develop guys they have 4 year contracts with.

Noteboom is an excellent find. Demby was my sleeper pick who The Rams had ties with in WR assistant coach from Maine.

Allen was a nice Kromer find as well. Was shocked The Rams drafted a Center so early with already having young talent.

The Offensive Lines future is in good hands. Kromer has got to be one of the Best !!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So Ram, don't forget you have a bet with me. 10,000 ROD $$ on if DWilliams makes the final 53. If he does, you win. IR and practice squad doesn't count.

I have the posts flagged in my favorites where you and I accepted the wager.

Final 53 cutdown will be after the 4th pre-season game.

I don’t know how to pay up ??? I lost straight up !! Good call .Still thought they were going to keep a veteran Offense Lineman with Brown suspended.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
So Ram, go to "Official Rams Cuts And PS" thread, page 5, post #100 by flv. In it he gives a step by step on how to settle wagers between members.

thx for accepting the wager. DWilliams did better than I thought, just not enough. he'll get picked up by another team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.......DWilliams did better than I thought, just not enough. he'll get picked up by another team.
Me too...I have watched DW in pre season since he arrive in 2015 & was thinking that he had improved greatly as a swing OT. So I was surprised by the cut.

I think that DW had a spot won until the last pre season game....It's not that DW stunk it up.... it was the outstanding game perfromed by Snead/Kromers 6th rd slection Jamil Demby. Until last weeks gm Demby has been used heavy @ both OG posts & @ RT. However in the 2nd half of the last gm JD was assigned LG duties & was doing fine but when Kromer gave the go ahead to shift outside to LT I saw an extra something special in his play. DW lost his roster spot. JD just looks comfortable sitting in LT living room at home playing this post.

IMO JD was too heavy in the midsection & slow afoot. He is, ....:) but he can play LT as good as DW did maybe better & JD is just a rookie. This was DW's 4th TC & PS. Rookie JD thus far has played four OL posts! DW took 4 yrs to make the passing grade as a fair swing OT. DW was going to be a UFA next season too. JD is signed for the next 4 sesons on the cheap rookie contract.

I was really worried about the condition this Ram OL after the conclusion of this 2018 season....& was joining into "group think" that Snead was going to have to wait till 2019 draft to find our UFA & possible retirement replacements......Okay I am no longer thinking that way after this 2018 draft with our 3rd, 4th & 6th rd selections.:yess:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So Ram, go to "Official Rams Cuts And PS" thread, page 5, post #100 by flv. In it he gives a step by step on how to settle wagers between members.

thx for accepting the wager. DWilliams did better than I thought, just not enough. he'll get picked up by another team.

Ok bubbaramfan I’ll do my best . Lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.therams.com/news/kromer-talks-rookie-offensive-linemen

Kromer Talks Rookie Offensive Linemen
Myles Simmons

The Rams went into the 2018 offseason looking to build depth on their offensive line. Los Angeles was the only team in 2017 that had its starting lineup healthy to begin each of the first 15 games — and the club would’ve been fine for the entire regular season if head coach Sean McVay had not elected to rest starters in Week 17.

Now as the 2018 regular season is about to begin, it appears the Rams accomplished that goal. When L.A. reduced its roster from 90 to 53 players, the club kept just one non-rookie offensive lineman in Austin Blythe — and he’s a strong candidate to replace suspended right guard Jamon Brown for the first two games. But backing up the projecting starting lineup of — from left to right — Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Blythe, and Rob Havenstein will be the three 2018 draft picks.

Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen, and Jamil Demby have all performed well thoughout the course of the offseason program, training camp, and preseason games in order to earn those reserve roles on the 2018 squad.

pejv7locigk6s63rbhyz.jpg

“They came in in the offseason and learned the skills and the knowledge that they had to have to have success blocking and running the plays that we want to run in the preseason,” run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer recently told therams.com. “And they all three did that well.”

Still, there’s something to be said for Los Angeles’ staff having confidence in three rookies to step in and play if something should happen to one of the starters — especially early on in the season when Brown is serving his two-game suspension.

“They’re talented, and they have high football intelligence,” Kromer said. “And that was a big part of bringing them in. And when you bring people like that into your program, what it allows you to do is play them at an early age because they can learn what you’re trying to do and they can adapt to the techniques that you’re looking for.”

With preparation underway for Week 1, Kromer shared his thoughts on all three of the Rams rookie linemen who made the 53-man roster to open 2018.

ty258e0mnykkotohsmwe.jpg

JOE NOTEBOOM

Did Noteboom come along faster than you expected since he wasn’t part of a pro-style offense in college?

“Joe really was productive in the preseason and it started from Day 1. He has the talent, the size, the strength to play early in this league. What he did was adjust some of the techniques he was using, and it made him a lot better as opposed to just a little bit. And it enabled him to play a lot stronger. And that showed up on tape.”

Is that rare for a young tackle to be able to have that success so early nowadays?

“With the amount of players you’re allowed to have, and we do have a lot of offseason practices nowadays with the OTAs and the minicamps — so you have a lot of opportunity to work on these things. Even though they’re not in shoulder pads, you’re still working your technique.

You’re still working — whether it’s individual drills, team drills — there’s a lot of time to work on these things in the offseason. Now, when you show up for training camp, when you put the shoulder pads on and you’re going more full-go, you just have to take those techniques over and use them in the team periods. And that’s what he did.”

How much of an advantage is it that he could go to Whitworth and ask questions?

“With all three of these guys, that is the No. 1 advantage we have at this organization, is there’s a precedent set where the veterans help the younger players get better. Because there might come a day where they need that person to play well next to them — or instead of them for a couple games. When you have that mentality and that attitude as a team, the young players play better quicker.”

v9s4c6tl9wcvd7arymty.jpg

BRIAN ALLEN

Did Allen have an advantage coming in given that he played in a pro-style offense?

“He did. Brian did play more of a pro-style offense, and he’s another player who’s smart, who was coached well in college by [Michigan State offensive line coach] Mark Staten and has the physical ability — being a state champion wrestler in Illinois. And he has that physical ability to almost grapple inside with these nose guards.”

How much of that has to do with his mentality? He seems like he has a real tenacity to his game.

“Well, yeah, he is tough — mentally tough. Everybody’s that plays in this sport is tough, physically. But mental toughness is what make the difference between great players and good players. And he’s mentally tough. And some of that stems from, I think, that one-on-one wrestling that you do growing up all the way through. That can’t hurt you.”

nffpffdcd0x8x4efwlwt.jpg

JAMIL DEMBY

What did Demby do to impress you throughout camp and the preseason?

“Jamil Demby, being a later-round draft pick, playing at a small school like Maine — he had the furthest to go. But what he shows you is more potential to be a multi-faceted player. Obviously, we play all these guys at a lot of positions in training camp and the offseason to try to find out what’s best for them, and try to get them ready for whatever’s needed.

And that was a little bit tougher for him, because he’s been a left tackle his whole life — what he’s always done. And so, he’s got a lot of developing to go — and they all three do. But we’re glad to have him.”

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
https://www.therams.com/news/kromer-talks-rookie-offensive-linemen

Kromer Talks Rookie Offensive Linemen
Myles Simmons

The Rams went into the 2018 offseason looking to build depth on their offensive line. Los Angeles was the only team in 2017 that had its starting lineup healthy to begin each of the first 15 games — and the club would’ve been fine for the entire regular season if head coach Sean McVay had not elected to rest starters in Week 17.

Now as the 2018 regular season is about to begin, it appears the Rams accomplished that goal. When L.A. reduced its roster from 90 to 53 players, the club kept just one non-rookie offensive lineman in Austin Blythe — and he’s a strong candidate to replace suspended right guard Jamon Brown for the first two games. But backing up the projecting starting lineup of — from left to right — Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Blythe, and Rob Havenstein will be the three 2018 draft picks.

Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen, and Jamil Demby have all performed well thoughout the course of the offseason program, training camp, and preseason games in order to earn those reserve roles on the 2018 squad.

pejv7locigk6s63rbhyz.jpg

“They came in in the offseason and learned the skills and the knowledge that they had to have to have success blocking and running the plays that we want to run in the preseason,” run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer recently told therams.com. “And they all three did that well.”

Still, there’s something to be said for Los Angeles’ staff having confidence in three rookies to step in and play if something should happen to one of the starters — especially early on in the season when Brown is serving his two-game suspension.

“They’re talented, and they have high football intelligence,” Kromer said. “And that was a big part of bringing them in. And when you bring people like that into your program, what it allows you to do is play them at an early age because they can learn what you’re trying to do and they can adapt to the techniques that you’re looking for.”

With preparation underway for Week 1, Kromer shared his thoughts on all three of the Rams rookie linemen who made the 53-man roster to open 2018.

ty258e0mnykkotohsmwe.jpg

JOE NOTEBOOM

Did Noteboom come along faster than you expected since he wasn’t part of a pro-style offense in college?

“Joe really was productive in the preseason and it started from Day 1. He has the talent, the size, the strength to play early in this league. What he did was adjust some of the techniques he was using, and it made him a lot better as opposed to just a little bit. And it enabled him to play a lot stronger. And that showed up on tape.”

Is that rare for a young tackle to be able to have that success so early nowadays?

“With the amount of players you’re allowed to have, and we do have a lot of offseason practices nowadays with the OTAs and the minicamps — so you have a lot of opportunity to work on these things. Even though they’re not in shoulder pads, you’re still working your technique.

You’re still working — whether it’s individual drills, team drills — there’s a lot of time to work on these things in the offseason. Now, when you show up for training camp, when you put the shoulder pads on and you’re going more full-go, you just have to take those techniques over and use them in the team periods. And that’s what he did.”

How much of an advantage is it that he could go to Whitworth and ask questions?

“With all three of these guys, that is the No. 1 advantage we have at this organization, is there’s a precedent set where the veterans help the younger players get better. Because there might come a day where they need that person to play well next to them — or instead of them for a couple games. When you have that mentality and that attitude as a team, the young players play better quicker.”

v9s4c6tl9wcvd7arymty.jpg

BRIAN ALLEN

Did Allen have an advantage coming in given that he played in a pro-style offense?

“He did. Brian did play more of a pro-style offense, and he’s another player who’s smart, who was coached well in college by [Michigan State offensive line coach] Mark Staten and has the physical ability — being a state champion wrestler in Illinois. And he has that physical ability to almost grapple inside with these nose guards.”

How much of that has to do with his mentality? He seems like he has a real tenacity to his game.

“Well, yeah, he is tough — mentally tough. Everybody’s that plays in this sport is tough, physically. But mental toughness is what make the difference between great players and good players. And he’s mentally tough. And some of that stems from, I think, that one-on-one wrestling that you do growing up all the way through. That can’t hurt you.”

nffpffdcd0x8x4efwlwt.jpg

JAMIL DEMBY

What did Demby do to impress you throughout camp and the preseason?

“Jamil Demby, being a later-round draft pick, playing at a small school like Maine — he had the furthest to go. But what he shows you is more potential to be a multi-faceted player. Obviously, we play all these guys at a lot of positions in training camp and the offseason to try to find out what’s best for them, and try to get them ready for whatever’s needed.

And that was a little bit tougher for him, because he’s been a left tackle his whole life — what he’s always done. And so, he’s got a lot of developing to go — and they all three do. But we’re glad to have him.”

Really good read on the young guys

Tano

Legend
“Well, yeah, he is tough — mentally tough. Everybody’s that plays in this sport is tough, physically. But mental toughness is what make the difference between great players and good players.
And that is why players that are athletically gifted do not play up to their potential in this league >> Greg Robinson Brian Quick Kenny Britt etc