Off Season Splash Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carolina was pushing for the division, yes in a down year for the nfcs, with distinction at coach and QBs. I find it hard to believe the GM and owner will trade their best defender, just like they turned all offers at the deadline. People may want to try to find a different more realistic trade target.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I see it more like an off-season focused on the draft (adding draft capital by trad8ng up and down during the draft) and creating some cap space that will also return some draft capital.

Not sure I see them going after a star player for the simple reason they are not in great position to do so. I don't see them giving up the 24' #1 because they may need that for next yr to draft a QB or trade next yr for a QB.

And as we all know the cap situation is not great. So I could see a surprise trade like when they moved Ogletree & Quinn, to clear cap room and add a few more picks.

Now could that surprise trade include a Ramsey or Donald? Who knows? More likely Floyd, Higbee, and or Noteboom

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry, I'm disagreeing with most of this, although I would agree that we might be big movers in trades this offseason, it will be as sellers not buyers. I'd prefer to move Higbee, Floyd, Van Jefferson & Allen than Ramsey/Donald.
The way to get moved by the Rams is a two step process. Step one is get paid by them. Step two is underperform.

This is why I keep saying that Higbee for example is unlikely to be moved. Because he didn't get "paid" by them but moreso took a reasonable contract early on. This is why he still has trade value but it's also why we may not consider moving him, because to do so leaves us with nothing at TE. I mean even if they like Hopkins as a pass catcher he still gets beat in blocks. Even that big play in the Super Bowl he was in the process of getting thrashed by the edge when Kupp went by him. So any mediocre pick we get for him has to be turned into a TE who can start. We're already in the hurt locker here in terms of holes in the roster vs resources so that seems unlikely to me.

Floyd however fits perfectly. So does Ramsey. Neither of them have lived up to their paycheck. So if any trade market is there for either of them I think they're good as gone. And re: Floyd I have avoided mentioning him because he's been hurt reportedly, but production has been lower than what the Rams envisioned when they paid him. So yes he should be on a prospected trade list though with him the specifics are different. With Ramsey he has lost a step and now is the window to dish his ass if the Rams are smart.

Rams under McVay have shown a cutthroat tendency to get rid of guys that don't produce at what they're being paid. Has he softened after the Lombardi? We will see. Also and btw another reason Ramsey might get moved is his general moodiness and love of Raheem. Because I think that's another tough decision McVay has to make and if Ramsey is going to sulk about it that's another notch against him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The way to get moved by the Rams is a two step process. Step one is get paid by them. Step two is underperform.

This is why I keep saying that Higbee for example is unlikely to be moved. Because he didn't get "paid" by them but moreso took a reasonable contract early on. This is why he still has trade value but it's also why we may not consider moving him, because to do so leaves us with nothing at TE. I mean even if they like Hopkins as a pass catcher he still gets beat in blocks. Even that big play in the Super Bowl he was in the process of getting thrashed by the edge when Kupp went by him. So any mediocre pick we get for him has to be turned into a TE who can start. We're already in the hurt locker here in terms of holes in the roster vs resources so that seems unlikely to me.

Floyd however fits perfectly. So does Ramsey. Neither of them have lived up to their paycheck. So if any trade market is there for either of them I think they're good as gone. And re: Floyd I have avoided mentioning him because he's been hurt reportedly, but production has been lower than what the Rams envisioned when they paid him. So yes he should be on a prospected trade list though with him the specifics are different. With Ramsey he has lost a step and now is the window to dish his ass if the Rams are smart.

Rams under McVay have shown a cutthroat tendency to get rid of guys that don't produce at what they're being paid. Has he softened after the Lombardi? We will see. Also and btw another reason Ramsey might get moved is his general moodiness and love of Raheem. Because I think that's another tough decision McVay has to make and if Ramsey is going to sulk about it that's another notch against him.

Here's where I differ from so many other Rams fans, ... some want to create additional CAP space in order to 'go all in' for a deep 2023 playoff bid, and by creating this massive CAP space, they can spend heavily on free agents. My goal isn't to build on the debt we have already created by mortgaging our future, it's actually the opposite, where we might pay down some of this accumulated debt. I believe we went 'all in' when we acquired Stafford while maintaining our relationships with Donald, Kupp, Ramsey & Floyd as well as a few others. Spending big money during the 2023 free agency period will also have the undesirable effect of seriously negating any value the Comp picks (2024) which would be coming to the Rams when we lose either Gaines, A'Shawn Robinson (or both), Mayfield & Rapp.

I don't move Ramsey this next season because he's still a valuable vet for our defensive backfield, he'd also be carrying a huge dead money debt load. The Rams should develop some better CB's prior to Ramsey's exit. Floyd is older and would also carry a substantial 'dead money' hit, but it's a lot less than Ramsey's. I should be clear that I wouldn't move Floyd either in 2023 unless we have found his replacement by way of trade, not free agency, as to avoid later Comp pick complications. Higbee is one of the few veteran players I believe we can part with to create some additional CAP space without suffering too much damage. Hopkins may be largely untested, but even a slight fall-off statistically at this one position isn't likely to kill our play-off hopes. He (Hopkins) may also surprise, but we'll never know when he's lost along with Higbee following the 2023 season to free agency because of lack of previous use.

I've previously posted that Higbee, Floyd, Brian Allen & Van Jefferson are on my trade list, although Floyd is the one single player in this group where I would require a younger (traded for) veteran Edge rusher to take his place, the remainder I'm fine moving and replacing with draft picks. Unlike others who are willing to once again heavily restructure contracts increasing future debt, I don't believe our team needs it, we aren't that distant from a Super Bowl win, and the 2022 season was an anomaly brought on by an enormous amount of temporary injury issues.

This is one year (2023) I'd love to see the Rams avoid spending big on free agents (for reasons already explained) and concentrate on increasing our day 2 draft class with trades, whether it be Raheem Morris becoming a H.C. somewhere, trading down our high 2'nd round pick for a lower 2'nd and a 3'rd, or trading a current player that can save CAP and bring us a choice pick. I happen to believe this coming draft class is deep at positions where depth can be seriously improved for the long term without sacrificing our ability to go deep into the playoffs.
jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
although Floyd is the one single player in this group where I would require a younger (traded for) veteran Edge rusher to take his place

Floyd plays a lot of snaps, too (85% of defensive snaps). He’s harder to replace than we think.

4DE6B905-610D-4364-8724-6353C7EEEDC7.jpeg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Floyd plays a lot of snaps, too (85% of defensive snaps). He’s harder to replace than we think.

View attachment 58171

He shouldn't be easily dismissed, although one must wonder how long he can keep up the pace. He's still effective, and with Donald & A'Shawn Robinson on IR and Gaines missing some time from being nicked up, many of his fellow Edge rushers put out to pasture, how has this affected his overall play. He'll be 31 next season, how many years can earn that huge paycheck and produce at a high level ?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Carolina was pushing for the division, yes in a down year for the nfcs, with distinction at coach and QBs. I find it hard to believe the GM and owner will trade their best defender, just like they turned all offers at the deadline. People may want to try to find a different more realistic trade target.
Exactly - they can franchise tag him for 2024. If they feel he is a top 5 OLB why not. He is not going anywhere the fan base will go off. They already let CMC go (got trade value) a very popular player for them which actually hurt them with this playoff run. BUT I actually agree with the move SF is reaping the benefits but for how long? RBs always seem to have a very short shelf life and what SF paid for him
Carolina was smart to do the deal.
On the other hand getting rid of Burns would be super stupid and Carolina knows it. They wouldn't do it for 2 firsts and who knows what else. He made the probowl and is 24. Forget it not happening.

Regarding a big SPLASH based on today's list there are NO (not one) FA OLB worth the upgrade that I see a several CBs, Safeties, Guards and of course lots of great RB options. I only outline areas of our needs.

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Here's where I differ from so many other Rams fans, ... some want to create additional CAP space in order to 'go all in' for a deep 2023 playoff bid, and by creating this massive CAP space, they can spend heavily on free agents. My goal isn't to build on the debt we have already created by mortgaging our future, it's actually the opposite, where we might pay down some of this accumulated debt. I believe we went 'all in' when we acquired Stafford while maintaining our relationships with Donald, Kupp, Ramsey & Floyd as well as a few others. Spending big money during the 2023 free agency period will also have the undesirable effect of seriously negating any value the Comp picks (2024) which would be coming to the Rams when we lose either Gaines, A'Shawn Robinson (or both), Mayfield & Rapp.

I don't move Ramsey this next season because he's still a valuable vet for our defensive backfield, he'd also be carrying a huge dead money debt load. The Rams should develop some better CB's prior to Ramsey's exit. Floyd is older and would also carry a substantial 'dead money' hit, but it's a lot less than Ramsey's. I should be clear that I wouldn't move Floyd either in 2023 unless we have found his replacement by way of trade, not free agency, as to avoid later Comp pick complications. Higbee is one of the few veteran players I believe we can part with to create some additional CAP space without suffering too much damage. Hopkins may be largely untested, but even a slight fall-off statistically at this one position isn't likely to kill our play-off hopes. He (Hopkins) may also surprise, but we'll never know when he's lost along with Higbee following the 2023 season to free agency because of lack of previous use.

I've previously posted that Higbee, Floyd, Brian Allen & Van Jefferson are on my trade list, although Floyd is the one single player in this group where I would require a younger (traded for) veteran Edge rusher to take his place, the remainder I'm fine moving and replacing with draft picks. Unlike others who are willing to once again heavily restructure contracts increasing future debt, I don't believe our team needs it, we aren't that distant from a Super Bowl win, and the 2022 season was an anomaly brought on by an enormous amount of temporary injury issues.

This is one year (2023) I'd love to see the Rams avoid spending big on free agents (for reasons already explained) and concentrate on increasing our day 2 draft class with trades, whether it be Raheem Morris becoming a H.C. somewhere, trading down our high 2'nd round pick for a lower 2'nd and a 3'rd, or trading a current player that can save CAP and bring us a choice pick. I happen to believe this coming draft class is deep at positions where depth can be seriously improved for the long term without sacrificing our ability to go deep into the playoffs.
jmo.

jmo. agree with most said here especially Ramsey, people to move etc. Posters need to look at our needs LT, LG, OLB, 2nd CB and BU CB can be had from our higher draft picks - #36/37 go after a top tier OLB. Spend for Orlando Brown if not available find someone as good as Whot maybe Conklin/McGary or take another run at Tunsil.

FA areas that are currently available and good for us - CB - Poyer/Bradbury - G Jenkins, Powers - Safety - Bates/Johnson. LT - Brown no one really else I ref. guys not sure are as good as Whit - McGary/Conklin. OLB none maybe Ngokwe not sure he is what we need. We can find a BU QB. FYI tons of great RBs in FA, but we MUST refrain and the save the $ here and feature Akers.
If we can't afford a LG we go get him at #68/#69.

This list can be done minus the LT unless we are able to find a steal with our 1st pick in the draft like we took Saffold at #33 and get the OLB in FA. But don't touch our #1 in 2024.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
FA areas that are currently available and good for us - CB - Poyer/Bradbury - G Jenkins, Powers - Safety - Bates/Johnson. LT - Brown no one really else I ref. guys not sure are as good as Whit - McGary/Conklin. OLB none maybe Ngokwe not sure he is what we need. We can find a BU QB. FYI tons of great RBs in FA, but we MUST refrain and the save the $ here and feature Akers.

This list can be done minus the LT unless we are able to find a steal with our 1st pick in the draft like we took Saffold at #33 and get the OLB in FA. But don't touch our #1 in 2024.
Elgton Jenkins and Jack Conklin signed extensions a week or two ago, so they are off-the-list.

Orlando Brown and Laremy Tunsil may price themselves out of K.C. and Houston but are unlikely to hit free agency. The Chiefs and Texans would likely seek some trade compensation; and both OTs are seeking to set-the-market.

Poyer is a safety.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

It would be nice if we could keep our 2024 first round pick. But I would move that pick if a LT they like falls into the 20s or whatever, in order to move up and nab him.

If they fill LT even with a guy for the future everything looks a lot different. So I think that pick needs to be a cornerstone spot like LT, Edge, or CB if at all possible, and barring that then someone who is a no-shit impact player.

But really that's what we're lacking from some of these draft classes, the impact types. Too many guys who spot start and do ok for a while then tank. Or who are inconsistent as fuck. Which yes can be expected with our approach. But moving forward we need some quality additions so I think the Rams are going to change their strategy this offseason to the draft and attempt to do that.

The FA additions will be hole filler types not headliners.