Off Season Splash Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Didn't Carolina turn down multiple teams each offering multiple first rd picks for Burns? Where is the evidence they want to trade him when they said he's off the table and turned down multiple big trade offers?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Higbee's numbers these last couple of years aren't all that impressive. Hopkins may or may not match Higbee, but if he isn't starting next year he's just as likely as Higbee to be lost to free agency after the 2023 season. Shelton is a better Center than OG, and it's my opinion our RG (Bruss, Brewer, Anchrum) is well covered. LG is the only truly vacant OL position, and I want one of our top draft picks used here.
jmo.
I actually agree with you at RG. I'd wonder if Brewer could even play LG. I think you have some good ideas here. Just a lot to pull off. But I think it's sound reasons!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't Carolina turn down multiple teams each offering multiple first rd picks for Burns? Where is the evidence they want to trade him when they said he's off the table and turned down multiple big trade offers?
They turned down those offers because taking a pick in 2024 when you could be fired before then anyways doesn't make sense for a GM. But if they fire the GM this season then MAYBE. Problem is, what coach or GM wants to go to a team that's dumping talent.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I actually agree with you at RG. I'd wonder if Brewer could even play LG. I think you have some good ideas here. Just a lot to pull off. But I think it's sound reasons!
Would also have to re-sign Brewer. Believe he will be an unrestricted free agent in the off-season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
But doesn't somebody have to 'want' those players? Who's going to give up what for Allen? Or Higbee (6.25 mil salary)? Floyd is going to cost the new team less than he'll cost the Rams, but 13.5 mil is still pretty steep. VJ would be the bargain of the bunch at 1.75 mil but with that in mind, why would we trade him?

If you don't believe these players have trade value, then I won't be able to convince you otherwise, although teams needing an Edge, TE, WR & Center have been known to exist in the past, and these guys can be better than average if they remain healthy. I move Van Jefferson because he's been a health risk and missed valuable playing time, he's also likely lost after 2023 to free agency, so I'd like to get something for him while our WR corps remains a team strength.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Would also have to re-sign Brewer. Believe he will be an unrestricted free agent in the off-season.

No question. He, Nsehke, Aboushi & Skura are all reserve OLinemen I bring back to camp.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

They are in CAP trouble and don't have a starting QB next year, trading Burns brings some CAP relief and probable multiple high draft picks.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not following. if you're talking Higbee, Floyd, Jefferson and Allen in trades for 2023 draft choices, per Over-the-Cap, that would create $11M of cap space but it would also result in $27M of Dead-$.

Simply releasing Floyd with a post-June designation opens up $15.5M of cap space ... with $6.5M of Dead-$.

I haven't checked all the numbers, but this is an acceptable risk imo. There are guys on the opposite side of the coin who would increase future dead money debt by attaching other restructures to our already very expensive players, ... I'm not in that camp, although there may still be some much smaller restructures required to accomplish a few of my own goals while moving the 4 players I've already mentioned. jmo.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If you don't believe these players have trade value, then I won't be able to convince you otherwise, although teams needing an Edge, TE, WR & Center have been known to exist in the past, and these guys can be better than average if they remain healthy. I move Van Jefferson because he's been a health risk and missed valuable playing time, he's also likely lost after 2023 to free agency, so I'd like to get something for him while our WR corps remains a team strength.
Oh I believe they all have some value. How much is up for debate. But I don't want the Rams to bite off their nose to spite their face. Floyd is prime for a restructure. He's remained healthy, been productive and is an all around OLB. I believe VJ can do the job but can he stay healthy? And that may be the reason he's got little value in trade equity. Center? Sure, if you want a guy who's going to have his knee drained every 2 weeks. I'm not sure he'd pass a trade physical. Higbee would bring value but we'd need a freaking replacement wouldn't we?

I am always surprised when fans want to trade away their guys because they too injured, or too unproductive or too expensive. Like other teams are lining up to make a deal. IMHO, I think if we offered Allen or VJ, teams would say, "no I'll wait for you to release them". On Floyd we'd probably get offers. On Higbee, less than Floyd.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
They turned down those offers because taking a pick in 2024 when you could be fired before then anyways doesn't make sense for a GM. But if they fire the GM this season then MAYBE. Problem is, what coach or GM wants to go to a team that's dumping talent.
That was our offer, I believe 2 other teams offered multiple firsts, starting next year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Oh I believe they all have some value. How much is up for debate. But I don't want the Rams to bite off their nose to spite their face. Floyd is prime for a restructure. He's remained healthy, been productive and is an all around OLB. I believe VJ can do the job but can he stay healthy? And that may be the reason he's got little value in trade equity. Center? Sure, if you want a guy who's going to have his knee drained every 2 weeks. I'm not sure he'd pass a trade physical. Higbee would bring value but we'd need a freaking replacement wouldn't we?

I am always surprised when fans want to trade away their guys because they too injured, or too unproductive or too expensive. Like other teams are lining up to make a deal. IMHO, I think if we offered Allen or VJ, teams would say, "no I'll wait for you to release them". On Floyd we'd probably get offers. On Higbee, less than Floyd.

That's fine, I'm more than used to taking a minority stance if that's what it turns out to be. I've already addressed the issues you are speaking to in this thread, so rather than repeat myself, I'll just go with my previous statements. These opinions are only mine, I don't expect the Rams or fellow fans to necessarily agree with any of it, I'm just throwing out another option for people to consider.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know if they feel that their roster is good enough to make a run at the Superbowl. If they feel they just need one or two pieces to complete a championship caliber roster. Myself, I have my doubts they can be that good.

I'd like to see a trade down to get an extra day two pick. We're likely picking near 40th. Someone might target a player and is willing to trade up giving us a later 2nd round and extra 3rd round pick. Maybe swap late rounders to make it a more even trade.

While I have my doubts they have a championship caliber roster, I do think they have a playoff caliber roster. Maybe win 10 or 11 games.

I know high end left tackles are hard to come by. Teams don't like to let those guys go. But I'd like to see a starter caliber vet or two for the offensive line. And go into the season with more experienced depth players on the line.

I'd also like to see a decent edge rusher. Floyd is far from a pro bowl type edge guy but he's solid enough. They need someone opposite of him. They also need to prioritize Gaines and Robinson on the D-line. And don't let Matt Gay walk. A good kicker like that could be the difference between a 10 or 11 win season and an 8 or 9 win season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No question. He, Nsehke, Aboushi & Skura are all reserve OLinemen I bring back to camp.
That's a lot. How about choosing two.

With Havenstein, Shelton, Noteboom, Allen, Bruss, Jackson, Anchrum, Arcuri and Thomas, that would make 13 OL; amd it's rare a team carries more than ten on its 53.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's a lot. How about choosing two.

With Havenstein, Shelton, Noteboom, Allen, Bruss, Jackson, Anchrum, Arcuri and Thomas, that would make 13 OL; amd it's rare a team carries more than ten on its 53.

90 players in camp.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
90 players in camp.
Sure but a team has to have a plan. Can't expect them to stock-up on so many veteran OL in anticipation of a multitude of injuries. Just not the way a roster is built. Management has to make choices on how to spend it's salary cap; and the Rams are just not in good cap shape.

They will clear space and make moves but there will be a strategy and a plan to execute.

Also, these players are free agents. They have a choice. Other teams may offer a more secure role and have more cap space.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sure but a team has to have a plan. Can't expect them to stock-up on so many OL in anticipation of a multitude of injuries. Just not the way a roster is built. Management has to make choices on how to spend it's salary cap; and the Rams are just not in good cap shape.

They will clear space and make moves but there will be a strategy and a plan to execute.

Also, these players are free agents. They have a choice. Other teams may offer a more secure role and have more cap space.

Futures contracts for cheaper UDFA reserve players is pretty common, they'll have 3 pre-season games and all of camp to try and earn a roster spot, even if it's only a place on the practice squad. Not only do I expect most of these deep back-up level OLineman to receive futures offers, but I'm also counting on a few new OL added during the draft. That's part of the plan that has existed for years. If players choose to explore free agency rather than accept a 'futures' contract', they're always free to do so. Nsehke may receive a better offer than the rest, but don't be too surprised to see them all in camp. jmo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Futures contracts for cheaper UDFA reserve players is pretty common, they'll have 3 pre-season games and all of camp to try and earn a roster spot, even if it's only a place on the practice squad. Not only do I expect most of these deep back-up level OLineman to receive futures offers, but I'm also counting on a few new OL added during the draft. That's part of the plan that has existed for years. If players choose to explore free agency rather than accept a 'futures' contract', they're always free to do so. Nsehke may receive a better offer than the rest, but don't be too surprised to see them all in camp. jmo.
Again, I am confused.

We were talking about Brewer, Aboushi, Skura and Nsekhe.

None of those guys will be UDFAs. None of them will be eligible for Futures Contracts.

Futures Contracts are for younger players not eligible for free agency. Usually it is Practice Squad players that sign Futures Contracts after the season.

Those four will all be veteran Unrestricted Free Agents; and, at least the final three would probably cost a minimum of $1M of salary. You can check. Skura, Aboushi and Nsekhe all have over-$1M in salaries right now. Since they all signed after the season started, that salary is pro-rated but if any is signed in the off-season, it will cost at least $1M per.

The Rams will probably have 14-16 OL on the 90-man-roster heading into camp. Almost every team will. I just don't see them having that many veterans with a cap hit in excess of $1M. Just not workable in my opinion.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Nsekhe, Brewer & Skura were all UDFA's, Aboushi was a 5'th round draft pick. Admittedly, I'm not sure of the age restrictions for 'futures' contracts, but either way, any contracts that are offered to these 4 players are not guaranteed if they are cut during or immediately following camp, they'll likely be paid a minimum salary to get them into camp. They certainly won't all find permanent roster spots.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see a trade down to get an extra day two pick. We're likely picking near 40th. Someone might target a player and is willing to trade up giving us a later 2nd round and extra 3rd round pick. Maybe swap late rounders to make it a more even trade.
Right now we have the #37 pick because there are only 31 first round picks this season (Miami forfeited theirs). So for now it's #37 and #69. We know Snead will be wheeling and dealing for sure. Down? Or up?