Off Season Splash Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Snead loves to "Fuck Them Picks" and I think he does it again.

Either: Brian Burns or DeForest Buckner

Do you think Snead makes a splash trade this year? If so who would you guess?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes. I think he trades Ramsey.

Also it is possible he trades Donald. Not likely but I would not rule it out.

So IMO if we are a big mover in trades this offseason it will be as sellers not buyers. Rams are going to change it up and draft some roles of the future with a couple shrewd FA additions.

Also and btw I think Edge will be a FA addition. Someone low budget like Key. On the OL it will probably be Guard. Then they can go after the future LT or Edge by priority of which they can maneuver for on draft day.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They made a strong push for Brian Burns prior to the trade deadline, I believe they try again for him. Just don't make the same mistake we did with Von Miller by giving away draft picks without a long-term future contract in place.
I don't think 2023 will be a F*** them picks year, although our 2024/25 picks are a different story. I'm hoping for the 'splash trade' and a huge haul of draft picks to restore depth throughout the roster, ... other than our own, I'm not seeing us dip deeply into free agency as we'll want to preserve future Comp picks. Still, I have no problem dealing away our 2024/2025 highest draft picks for a future stud.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

So IMO if we are a big mover in trades this offseason it will be as sellers not buyers. Rams are going to change it up and draft some roles of the future with a couple shrewd FA additions.

Also and btw I think Edge will be a FA addition. Someone low budget like Key. On the OL it will probably be Guard. Then they can go after the future LT or Edge by priority of which they can maneuver for on draft day.

Sorry, I'm disagreeing with most of this, although I would agree that we might be big movers in trades this offseason, it will be as sellers not buyers. I'd prefer to move Higbee, Floyd, Van Jefferson & Allen than Ramsey/Donald.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Sorry, I'm disagreeing with most of this, although I would agree that we might be big movers in trades this offseason, it will be as sellers not buyers. I'd prefer to move Higbee, Floyd, Van Jefferson & Allen than Ramsey/Donald.
And what are you getting for those four? Hard to imagine as much as you would for a Ramsey.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And what are you getting for those four? Hard to imagine as much as you would for a Ramsey.

If you are talking only money, perhaps, ... but collectively those four give us near $10.M in CAP savings, and a few more draft picks. Ramsey's 'dead money' hit is sharply reduced if we move him in 2024 instead of 2023. jmo.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
If you are talking only money, perhaps, ... but collectively those four give us near $10.M in CAP savings, and a few more draft picks. Ramsey's 'dead money' hit is sharply reduced if we move him in 2024 instead of 2023. jmo.
I was thinking in terms of talent returned for the player or draft pick.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was thinking in terms of talent returned for the player or draft pick.

Floyd, Higbee, Van Jefferson & Allen should bring 4 additional draft picks, how high is anybody's guess, although I might estimate one 3'rd, one 4'th, one 5'th & one 6'th. If the Rams can move Raheem Morris to a team needing a H.C., that's another 3'rd round pick. I also see the Rams trading their high 2'nd round pick down for a later 2'nd & a mid-round 3'rd. If the Rams are able to play our off-season right, I suspect not only our 2'nd, but up to four 3'rd round picks are possible.
jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we check back in on Burns. But, not sure we have the ammo.

Ramsey has a trade-able contract, but he feels franchise-ish still to me. I think we keep him. Floyd’s looks more like a release contract to me, IMO.

Edge feels like a player we acquire outside the draft. We might draft one too, but to contribute in 2023 might be a tall ask from where we pick.

I also think we add OL outside the draft. We definitely draft there too, but for 2023 contributions we look for some experience.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Isn't the dead money for a Ramsey trade high?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd keep my eye on 2024 free agents. A team that is rebuilding might move off of an edge rusher. If the raiders are moving on from carr then is it a complete rebuild? Is Crosby an option ? I dunno the cap situations but I think that's the kinda situation to observe.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Floyd, Higbee, Van Jefferson & Allen should bring 4 additional draft picks, how high is anybody's guess, although I might estimate one 3'rd, one 4'th, one 5'th & one 6'th. If the Rams can move Raheem Morris to a team needing a H.C., that's another 3'rd round pick. I also see the Rams trading their high 2'nd round pick down for a later 2'nd & a mid-round 3'rd. If the Rams are able to play our off-season right, I suspect not only our 2'nd, but up to four 3'rd round picks are possible.
jmo.
This seems like a questionable idea. The Rams have always been agressive about sending picks away for immediate contribution because they're in a championship window. Why would we start sending out contributes for draft picks who will likely need time to develop ?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Isn't the dead money for a Ramsey trade high?
Yes.

19.6 in DM, 5.6 mil in cap space prior to 6/1
8.2 in DM (but another 8.9 in 2024), 17.0 mil in cap space after 6/1

But the compensation returned in the form of draft picks might be invaluable. I'm not advocating for it, just putting out the numbers.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes.

19.6 in DM, 5.6 mil in cap space prior to 6/1
8.2 in DM (but another 8.9 in 2024), 17.0 mil in cap space after 6/1

But the compensation returned in the form of draft picks might be invaluable. I'm not advocating for it, just putting out the numbers.
Thanks. Yeah trading blue chip talent for prospects just feels like the exact opposite of what the Rams do, especially when they're trying to win now. Their philosophy has always been "we don't have time to take the chance that draft picks turn into foundational pieces". I can't see them saying " let's trade pieces and hope we hit on them quickly because our core is old and we're all retiring soon".

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This seems like a bad idea. The Rams have always been agressive about sending picks away for immediate contribution because they're in a championship window. Why would we start sending out contributes for draft picks who will likely need time to develop ?

It's my belief that the Rams have veteran players in place for all of the 4 mentioned traded players. Burns would replace Floyd, Hopkins would replace Higbee, any number of WR's can replace Van Jefferson, & Coleman replaces Allen. It's basically the same natural progression we face every year, although this next off-season we could have many more draft picks to fill out the depth chart.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's my belief that the Rams have veteran players in place for all of the 4 mentioned traded players. Burns would replace Floyd, Hopkins would replace Higbee, any number of WR's can replace Van Jefferson, & Coleman replaces Allen. It's basically the same natural progression we face every year, although this next off-season we could have many more draft picks to fill out the depth chart.
I can see the Floyd thing (although I think we eat a ton of money trading him? I'm not sure). Higbee makes sense too but I don't think we can just trust Hopkins. We haven't seen much from him. Van Jefferson is fair, but he's cheap. Not sure if that's a move to make. They tried to acquire cooks so maybe! Coleman replacing Allen could work, but now we need two starting guards. Just seems like a lot

PARAM

Hall of Fame
But doesn't somebody have to 'want' those players? Who's going to give up what for Allen? Or Higbee (6.25 mil salary)? Floyd is going to cost the new team less than he'll cost the Rams, but 13.5 mil is still pretty steep. VJ would be the bargain of the bunch at 1.75 mil but with that in mind, why would we trade him?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If you are talking only money, perhaps, ... but collectively those four give us near $10.M in CAP savings, and a few more draft picks.
Not following. if you're talking Higbee, Floyd, Jefferson and Allen in trades for 2023 draft choices, per Over-the-Cap, that would create $11M of cap space but it would also result in $27M of Dead-$.

Simply releasing Floyd with a post-June designation opens up $15.5M of cap space ... with $6.5M of Dead-$.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I can see the Floyd thing (although I think we eat a ton of money trading him? I'm not sure). Higbee makes sense too but I don't think we can just trust Hopkins. We haven't seen much from him. Van Jefferson is fair, but he's cheap. Not sure if that's a move to make. They tried to acquire cooks so maybe! Coleman replacing Allen could work, but now we need two starting guards. Just seems like a lot

IMO, Higbee's numbers these last couple of years aren't all that impressive. Hopkins may or may not match Higbee, but if he isn't starting next year he's just as likely as Higbee to be lost to free agency after the 2023 season. Shelton is a better Center than OG, and it's my opinion our RG (Bruss, Brewer, Anchrum) is well covered. LG is the only truly vacant OL position, and I want one of our top draft picks used here.
jmo.