OCR Vinny Bonsignore: Rams know it will take record-setting money to secure Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can only imagine what Belichick would do in this situation.... :rolllaugh:
I imagine he would have paid Donald whatever he needed to in order to keep him in a Pats uniform

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
The question to me is the value of 1 amazing player (AD) vs the value of multiple really good (TG, JG, LJ, BC) and several above average players.

The evidence of seasons prior to 2017 suggests the Rams tell AD “thanks” and then go sign several of the multiple really good players and those above average.

I’d rather watch lots of winning football than just have bragging rights to the GOAT on the D-Line.

JRobinson

MiLB
The question to me is the value of 1 amazing player (AD) vs the value of multiple really good (TG, JG, LJ, BC) and several above average players.

The evidence of seasons prior to 2017 suggests the Rams tell AD “thanks” and then go sign several of the multiple really good players and those above average.

I’d rather watch lots of winning football than just have bragging rights to the GOAT on the D-Line.

This.

We all love Donald. We all know he’s a future HOF barring injury. However, I’d think that the Rams brought in Suh for this very reason: “In case we don’t have Donald”.

Sure, we all want to see Donald play next to Suh and Brockers. But there is a chance we won’t. I’ve always been a huge believer in the whole “defense wins Championships” corner. But I tell you what, if retaining all the talent we have is at risk due to the AD contract, I let him walk. I’d rather have Goff, Gurley, Peters, Cooks, and Joyner on this team than loosing a few of them just to retain Donald.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have mentioned this before but realize that "hang on to AD for three more years" does not mean you get to keep the other big name players. If you use that tag on him then you have no way to guarantee keeping Gurley, Peters, Cook. All would become FA if AD is tagged for two years which means their price may be very high.

Now I am not saying to not to tag AD, I am just saying that it weakens your leverage with other players if you do meaning they may cost more or be lost to other teams.

This is why, when a team reaches a point where they know they cannot sign a player of his ability, trading him is often the best route. IF that is the case, putting him on the market now, while you still have that tag control, is probably the best way forward because it eliminates the distractions and focuses your front office in on guys who aren't being unreasonable. And by unreasonable I mean guys who are more interested in setting some new market than getting paid along the lines of the better players at his position. Then use one of those picks or some combination to move up for LT, or otherwise continue to build this thing with pieces around the key guys.

I love AD and want him to retire as a Ram. I've even thrown out questions about Kevin and his lack of signing any high end player as of yet, and admitted I am not certain which side of things (AD or the Rams) is the reason a deal isn't done yet. But if AD prices himself out of horns there's not much anyone can do about it. Tagging a player of his quality two years and going the hardball route isn't the way I'd do it. I'd make my best offer in earnest attempt at getting him locked up, and if not then I'd put him on the market and work a blockbuster deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I imagine he would have paid Donald whatever he needed to in order to keep him in a Pats uniform

Belichick's history implies otherwise.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm on the "The offer's on the table - your move" train.
If the Rams are comfortable, great; if not, we wish you the best. See what they can get.
Texans are in the conversation now because of Watson, not Watt (even when he's healthy).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This sounds to me like the agent is committed to a gigantic contract or going to free agency.

It's what I have expected, and I like Donald but that kind of money for him is out of question.

Unless the cap is slated to go WAY up they can't put that much money into a DT, even if he was the best that ever played.

Well the info that has trickled out about this all seems to point to the Rams making efforts to sign him but he isn't willing unless it's a monster deal.

Will see what happens. The Rams hold the best cards between the 2 sides.Like I always said about this new regime as well.
It’s we, not me !! Suh is a good piece to have in place right now with Brockers.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Zack Martin - G - Cowboys
Cowboys signed RG Zack Martin to a six-year extension through 2024.

Per NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the deal will make Martin the "highest-paid guard with the largest guarantee at his position in NFL history." The distinction briefly belonged to Andrew Norwell, whose five-year, $66.5 million deal included $30 million guaranteed. By many measures, 27-year-old Martin is the best interior lineman in the league. He has also never missed a start since being selected with the No. 16 overall pick of the 2014 draft.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

look at how easy that was for the cowboys. no hold outs, no drama. just get it done quietly.

the rams are in trouble. i'm sure they have offered similar deals to donald's camp but they may be looking at the defensive version of obj. players that want qb money.

Ellard80

Legend

This is sarcasm right? Belechick pays no one big money... ever.

Tom Brady is 16th highest paid QB in the league.. as one example. I want Donald to be a Ram somehow.. but this isn't MLB where you can spend spend and spend away.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tom Brady is 16th highest paid QB in the league.. as one example. I want Donald to be a Ram somehow.. but this isn't MLB where you can spend spend and spend away.

Brady is the highest paid qb in the league alright. It's just not on their books. These are the cheats and it's in their blood.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Belichcik never had the best defensive player in the league on his team. Not even close
No, he’s a defense first guy who cut his teeth with LT.
So yeah, I think he’d have figured a way to keep Donald

tempests

Hall of Fame
http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4970238

The New England Patriots have paid big money to their big man in the middle by inking nose tackle Vince Wilfork to an extension a league source said is worth $40 million over five years.

The deal, which includes an $18 million signing bonus and $25 million guaranteed, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports, makes Wilfork the highest-paid nose tackle in the NFL. It also provides him the long-term security he desires and ensures the Patriots -- hurt by the departures of several impact players in recent years -- retain a key part of their defense.

Wilfork, who was assigned the franchise tag on Feb. 22, was called the team's No. 1 contractual priority by owner Robert Kraft.

*************************************************************************************

http://archive.boston.com/sports/fo...es/2006/04/13/seymour_agrees_to_an_extension/

As one Patriots employee put it yesterday, ''Just saw a 20-wheeler Brinks truck pull up to the front door. Seymour must have signed."

He was right. Arguably the best defensive lineman in the NFL, Richard Seymour will remain with the Patriots for the long term after agreeing to a multiyear contract extension that was under review by the NFL because of a rule that doesn't allow a team to change the dollars in a contract twice in the same year.

In any event, Seymour, who had talked in the past like a man who was not interested in giving a hometown discount, agreed to a deal that by his measure had to be at or near the top of the market for a defensive player.

**************************************************************************************************

http://tv5.espn.com/boston/nfl/stor...al-new-england-patriots-worth-51m-source-says

The contract extension signed by New England Patriots offensive lineman Logan Mankins is worth $51 million over the next six years, and includes a $20 million signing bonus, according to a league source. When looking at the six years of the deal, and Mankins' $8.5 million per year average, it makes him the highest-paid interior offensive lineman in the NFL.

*********************************************************************************************************

Everyone knew Rob Gronkowski was going to get paid. It was just a matter of how massive the tight end's contract would be. Well, it appears we have an answer, as ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Gronkowski's new deal with the Patriots is for six years and $54 million. That makes him the highest paid tight end in NFL history.

********************************************************************************************

Just for those who think the Patriots never pay anybody.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
It’s definately a double edged sword. Break the bank to keep and you’ll lose the next wave of free agents.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If I had to guess they tag him this off season and then deal him for two 1's & a mid round pick or two and may be even a player.

Would hate to see it, but give me McVay, Sneed, Gurley & Goff, plus a boat load of high picks and I will take my chances.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s definately a double edged sword. Break the bank to keep and you’ll lose the next wave of free agents.
Yep. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We can't really win this one and the length of negotiations show this. I imagine all avenues (trading him etc.) have been explored.

It would suck to see him wreck havoc and help someones defense somewhere else, but this team cannot afford to hamstring itself financially. It's a percentage game and Aaron wants a slice of the pie so big that we'll only have crumbs left to feed others. I imagine we'll see a holdout again, but potentially more games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Break the bank to keep or break the bank in the next wave

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yep, tough call.

However imagine Rams w/ two #1's in each of the next two drafts.

Could allow you to not only draft a high quantity of quality players, but also you vould package picks abd go get a dominant OT prospect and or a top caliber CB or edge rusher etc.., and still be able to have a near full draft to grab a DT, secondary or OL depth etc..

Not too mention the cap room to keep Peters, Joyner, extend Gurley, and still have some money for FA.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think it is important to remember the two sides aren't talking to the press. So anything they write is guess work. Of course, the same goes for me. I think they have agreed to dollars per year, based on the budgeting statements. Now it is about number of years and how much is guaranteed and when the guaranteed money is paid and what type of bonus. All having to do with when the money hits the books against when he gets his hands on it. Im thinking they need relief this year to sign cooks so mostly bonus money not salary this year, but they got to keep it below his cap hit for this year. Averaging the bonus and all. Figure in joyner's contract, hopefully. This is complicated. It's not just "pay the man". It takes time. I wouldn't read to much into the fact he isn't signed yet. Might not happen until 1st week of the season, but I guess it will happen. Some where around 22mil per.