OCR Vinny Bonsignore: Rams know it will take record-setting money to secure Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/06/...ure-aaron-donald-but-they-hold-all-the-cards/

There are approximately 80,000 reasons why Aaron Donald will report next week to the Rams’ mandatory minicamp in Thousand Oaks – that figure representing the amount of money the best defensive player in the NFL will lose to fines should he skip the three-day camp.

But there are more than 70 million reasons why his reunion with the Rams might be a short one, and why we might not see Donald in uniform for a while. Maybe not even until the season opener against the Oakland Raiders on Sept. 10. Although there are major financial and free agency implications – not to mention risk – should Donald hold out for all of training camp only to report for the season opener without an extension.

But more on that in a bit.

The 70 million – probably more – represents the guaranteed money he’d endanger should he step foot on a practice field without a new contract and, heaven forbid, suffer a serious injury. That explains why he was a no-show during OTAs and why he’ll likely be a limited participant at minicamp.

Donald is scheduled to make $6.9 million next season, all of which he’d collect in the event of a serious injury. But he stands to earn millions upon millions more in guarantees upon agreeing to an extension, which undoubtedly will make him the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. That’s a fact the Rams don’t just acknowledge, they will gladly it make happen in order to keep the dominant defensive linemen in their fold for the foreseeable future.

Knowing that – and the Rams have been consistent in their acknowledgment of the financial commitment they’re willing to make – it behooves Donald to be as careful as possible between now and putting pen to paper to make it all official.

The real question, of course, is why a new deal hasn’t already happened in spite of the Rams’ repeated vow to do right by Donald, and what appears to be a sincere willingness on both sides to arrive at an outcome that leaves everyone smiling at the celebratory news conference to announce it.

At the risk of being a bit simplistic: it’s complicated.

And much more nuanced than, as new Rams cornerback Marcus Peters (and a whole bunch of Rams fans) would say: “Pay the man!”

To the Rams and Donald’s camp’s credit, they’ve both kept a tight lid on negotiations. This hasn’t been a “he said, they said” situation at all. That’s usually a good sign that a happy ending is looming.

But it also leaves everyone else to do some detective work.

In doing some peripheral digging around, there are compelling reasons emerging to explain a lack of resolution.

But also why most, if not all, the leverage tilts decidedly in the direction of the Rams, as they hold his rights for at least the next three years and assume even greater leverage and control should Donald hold out beyond Aug. 8 and into the regular season.

One factor that could be delaying things is the Khalil Mack dynamic playing out in Oakland. Mack and Donald were both selected in the 2014 NFL draft, and both have developed into dominant defensive forces as they each enter the final year of their rookie contracts.

Donald, by all accounts, is the better player. In a fair world, he’ll end up with the bigger contract. And no one would blame him if, as some in the NFL suspect, he slow plays a resolution waiting on Mack to come to terms first, thus re-setting the market and allowing Donald to go back to the Rams and demand more.

The problem is, Mack is in a much better position to wait out Donald’s situation and use that deal as the basis for his new contract. Mack was drafted with the fifth pick to Donald’s 13th in 2014, and the financial difference could not be more vast as a result. Mack will make $13.9 million to Donald’s $6.9 million this season. So, as you can see, Mack is in a safer position to let this year play out and then use the free agency leverage of 31 other teams – and a potential new Donald deal – when negotiating with the Raiders.

It’s for those reasons – and others – that some in the NFL have speculated a new Mack deal might not happen before next year. If so, Donald could be in for a long wait – and assume incredible risk – if he puts too much credence on the Mack situation as it relates to his own.

But that isn’t the only factor holding up a resolution.

While it’s a given Donald will reset the market for defensive players, there hasn’t been a top-end deal done on that side of the ball since Von Miller’s 2016 contract with the Broncos. That means dynamics like total value of the contract and immediate and full guarantees – the guide posts and trail markers teams and agents typically follow to bridge one record-breaking deal to the next – are a bit outdated. Setting and agreeing to new ones adds to the difficulty.

What we do know is that Donald is almost certain to become the first non-quarterback to eclipse $20 million in annual pay. That would mean topping Miller’s $19,016,667 annual base salary and his $70 million in guarantees.

Would $21 million in yearly salary and $75 million in overall guarantees do it?

The conflict becomes: By how much is Donald seeking to set the new market, and is that a number the Rams are willing to pay? Keep in mind Brandin Cooks is on deck for a new contract and Todd Gurley, Marcus Peters and Jared Goff are waiting in the wings.

Keeping Donald in the fold while preserving room for all the others is of paramount importance.

But Donald plays a role in making that happen.

There’s been recent speculation within the NFL circles that Donald’s camp is looking beyond just a record-setting defensive contract while trying to lift him into the rarified air of top quarterback money.

That would mean somewhere between $23 million and $27 million in annual salary and upward to $80 million to $90 million in guarantees.

That would be unprecedented.

It would also explain a major delay in a deal being consummated.

Or, as one rival NFL executive suggested: “If this was just about being the highest-paid defensive player, it would have been done already.”

That said, it never hurts to ask, right? And if you’re Aaron Donald, there is still time to play with in order to get the kind of money – or close to it – you’re demanding without sacrificing anything of importance.

Although those days are rapidly coming to a close.

Whatever leverage he has comes to an end on Aug. 8, the deadline to preserve unrestricted free agent status at the end of the 2018 season or be downgraded to restricted. It’s a position Donald put himself in by holding out during training camp last year and losing an accrued season as a result. If he holds out again, he’d lose all rights to UFA at the end of the season.

And that means:

The Rams would preserve the right to use the franchise tag on him for 2019.

They’d also have the right of first refusal on any deal he agrees to with another team.

Or, in the event of not matching any offer, recoup a first-round pick.

And in a worst-case scenario for Donald, it would also mean potentially playing the 2019 season at roughly $7.4 million should he fail to secure a new deal with the Rams or another team and the Rams simply re-upped him at 110 percent of his 2018 salary.

It only gets worse if he holds out of games before the drop-dead deadline to preserve at least RFA status – the 10th game of the season – as that means absorbing fines and losing weekly paychecks. He’d have to be extraordinarily confident he could convince the Rams to eventually meet his demands to go that route. But really, how realistic is that?

So, as you can see, the little leverage Donald has right now is evaporating quickly.

It makes you wonder at what point he realizes he’s running out of cards to play. And how quickly $20 million and change in annual salary and $70 million or so in guarantees begin to look good enough.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vinny, even when I don't agree with him, is always a great and level-headed read.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Merlin and I are like this towards AD....

Kevin

Pro Bowler
And in a worst-case scenario for Donald, it would also mean potentially playing the 2019 season at roughly $7.4 million should he fail to secure a new deal with the Rams or another team and the Rams simply re-upped him at 110 percent of his 2018 salary.

I just don't see how this would ever happen in 2019. A one-year qualifying offer is something a team gives to a marginal player they would like to keep but can live without and would be just as happy with a comp pick in return.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

I just don't see how this would ever happen in 2019. A one-year qualifying offer is something a team gives to a marginal player they would like to keep but can live without and would be just as happy with a comp pick in return.
It's highly unlikely. The only two ways I could see it happening are an injury that scares teams away or if he refuses to sign for anything less than QB money. Then it would come down to whether some team would pay nearly 30 million a year and give up the pick. That would be a very strange scenario to play out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think The Rams have waited to long.The price tag keeps going up!! They have control of him for 2 to 3 more seasons.

The team just needs to keep moving forward.What price is to much ?? Not saying Donald is not the best DT in the game, but there is a salary cap, & other players on the squad that are worth a lot of money
Moving forward.

We not Me ???? How good is Suh & what is his value ?? Peters & Talib ??
This defense is going to be tough. Wonder what D.Easley is going to look like ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vinny said: What we do know is that Donald is almost certain
Lol- That's basically saying, what we do know, is that we don't know
Got to love these writers... Nothing new but lets make a up a new story with the same lack of new information...

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I think they will split the difference with AD getting ~ 23-24/yr and ~ 80 in guarantees. IMO you have to have at least 5 yr deal to make it worth it, preferably a 6-7 year deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My worry is that he wants top QB money. If his group is seeking $27M per year, it will translate into the Rams playing hardball most likely.

Any player is capable of pricing himself off his team. Even a HoF guy like AD. So it's a scary possibility that's where things are. But you know what's even worse is if he's not seeking that high end money and the Rams for whatever reason are not capable of getting it done.

Hopefully he'll be signed soon and all this stuff will go in the rearview. But the above is why I remain concerned.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
My worry is that he wants top QB money. If his group is seeking $27M per year, it will translate into the Rams playing hardball most likely.

Any player is capable of pricing himself off his team. Even a HoF guy like AD. So it's a scary possibility that's where things are. But you know what's even worse is if he's not seeking that high end money and the Rams for whatever reason are not capable of getting it done.

Hopefully he'll be signed soon and all this stuff will go in the rearview. But the above is why I remain concerned.
I agree. With Goff, Gurley, Cooks, Peters, Joyner, etc. on the horizon, the "pay the man" mentality could get costly. At a certain price, we can keep most of those guys. But I get the feeling Gurley may be a casualty...Joyner?....Suh.... I love Donald as much as anyone, and want to see him get paid, and wear horns for life. (I could just see us losing another Hall of Famer to the dreaded Steelers, as Donald takes a Home-town discount and terrorizes the AFC central for the next decade. Greene, Bettis...Donald? Ugh...:puke: )

But the Rams have to play it smart. I hope it gets done soon.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We can't overpay for a DT period. I know we are all in love with AD but he's not going to win us multiple superbowls. It just doesn't happen. Before AD came along Suh was the Dominate DT in the league. How did his teams measure up? You have to be able to afford the other luxuries that are needed to win and keep winning. I want to be the next Pats and the only way to do that is not to overpay at the wrong positions and unfortunately DT is one of those. I think we end up letting AD play out his final year and then Tag him the next two. So we'll have him for 3 more seasons. By then he will be 30 and we know what happens to DT's when they get into their 30's.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
The whole "waiting to see who gets paid more" thing is childish, imo. Lets face it, both Mack and Donald are going to get paid BIG time. More than some would make in 3 life times. If in the future you end up looking back and saying "man, i should have waited an extra year to get that extra 10 mil i could have had", that extra 10 mil wouldn't have mattered bc you are obviously terrible with money.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to be the next Pats and the only way to do that is not to overpay at the wrong positions and unfortunately DT is one of those. I think we end up letting AD play out his final year and then Tag him the next two. So we'll have him for 3 more seasons. By then he will be 30 and we know what happens to DT's when they get into their 30's.

I can only imagine what Belichick would do in this situation.... :rolllaugh:

Ram65

Legend
The problem is, Mack is in a much better position to wait out Donald’s situation and use that deal as the basis for his new contract. Mack was drafted with the fifth pick to Donald’s 13th in 2014, and the financial difference could not be more vast as a result. Mack will make $13.9 million to Donald’s $6.9 million this season. So, as you can see, Mack is in a safer position to let this year play out and then use the free agency leverage of 31 other teams – and a potential new Donald deal – when negotiating with the Raiders.

Seems like Donald would be first up for new deal. Mack can wait while still getting good money relatively speaking.

Would $21 million in yearly salary and $75 million in overall guarantees do it?

Sounds good to me.

The conflict becomes: By how much is Donald seeking to set the new market, and is that a number the Rams are willing to pay? Keep in mind Brandin Cooks is on deck for a new contract and Todd Gurley, Marcus Peters and Jared Goff are waiting in the wings.

That would mean somewhere between $23 million and $27 million in annual salary and upward to $80 million to $90 million in guarantees.

These average are too high. Even at 21-22 Million it will be hard to get other deals done. At some point the cost could force the Rams into a corner.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I can only imagine what Belichick would do in this situation.... :rolllaugh:

haha, we can talk all the shit we want but they're still in the playoffs every year and in the SB every other year. So he's doing something right. Trust me I hate them as much as anyone

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
haha, we can talk all the crap we want but they're still in the playoffs every year and in the SB every other year. So he's doing something right. Trust me I hate them as much as anyone

I have mostly respect for Belichick. He's the central cog in their year-to-year winning. Dude is the real GOAT in that equation IMO. Brady's going to retire, and if the Pats are smart they keep BB happy (which I pray they don't) and they'll still make the playoffs every year and contend.

My comment was re: the fact that BB probably would have traded him for a slew of picks by now.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing I love more than watching AD play is knowing he is in horns. In todays NFL, you can't play defensive players QB money, and be expected to retain other key components of the team. If we hang on to AD for three more years and then letting him go to free agency, and keep core players like Goff, Gurley, and others, it would suck, but I'd get over it.

I fully understand that these players want to get paid. I get it. They are putting their life on the line out there every play. I just don't get the "pay me out of respect" scenario. Not paying me higher than the next guy is disrespectful. I don't care. These guys could make more money on endorsements than the teams are paying them.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I fully understand that these players want to get paid. I get it. They are putting their life on the line out there every play. I just don't get the "pay me out of respect" scenario. Not paying me higher than the next guy is disrespectful. I don't care. These guys could make more money on endorsements than the teams are paying them.

The "pay me out of respect" thing as you put it is clear to me. It's a person's definition of self worth and it can be applied to almost any employment scenario.

The salary a person earns is commensurate with their skills, seniority, value to the person's employer relative to other employees and other people in the same job class. If Joe knows that he is the best engineer at his firm he will want to be paid the most among all the engineers. If Joe also thinks he is more valuable to the firm than all the project managers and salespeople and middle managers, then he will want more salary then they earn. if Joe invents something, then he believes he a better engineer than his peers in other firms and will want more salary than all of them.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The only thing I love more than watching AD play is knowing he is in horns. In todays NFL, you can't play defensive players QB money, and be expected to retain other key components of the team. If we hang on to AD for three more years and then letting him go to free agency, and keep core players like Goff, Gurley, and others, it would suck, but I'd get over it.

I have mentioned this before but realize that "hang on to AD for three more years" does not mean you get to keep the other big name players. If you use that tag on him then you have no way to guarantee keeping Gurley, Peters, Cook. All would become FA if AD is tagged for two years which means their price may be very high.

Now I am not saying to not to tag AD, I am just saying that it weakens your leverage with other players if you do meaning they may cost more or be lost to other teams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Knowing that – and the Rams have been consistent in their acknowledgment of the financial commitment they’re willing to make – it behooves Donald to be as careful as possible between now and putting pen to paper to make it all official.

There’s been recent speculation within the NFL circles that Donald’s camp is looking beyond just a record-setting defensive contract while trying to lift him into the rarified air of top quarterback money.

This sounds to me like the agent is committed to a gigantic contract or going to free agency.

It's what I have expected, and I like Donald but that kind of money for him is out of question.

Unless the cap is slated to go WAY up they can't put that much money into a DT, even if he was the best that ever played.

I think The Rams have waited to long.

Well the info that has trickled out about this all seems to point to the Rams making efforts to sign him but he isn't willing unless it's a monster deal.