OC Kevin O’Connell to the Chargers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler

Huh. I guess he feels life will be better with Herbert under center. That or he felt hemmed in by McVay,

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Sign him quickly so the Rams can convince Anthony Lynn to come on board.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing official yet on O'Connell this looks like rotoworld repeating rumors from fans but it makes sense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lateral move seems to be a slap in the face to Sean McVay. At least I would feel that way if I was in his position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lateral move seems to be a slap in the face to Sean McVay. At least I would feel that way if I was in his position.
It's really a move up since he'll be calling plays though.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If true it might be a blessing. The Rams offense was plodding this year. I don't know if that was O'Connell's fault, but he certainly didn't help. It can't hurt to try something new next year.

TXRams86

The Infamous
If he wants to go I’m sure McVay will allow it. He’s never held staff back from moving on. Sure it might make some people question the “why” but it could also be a testament to McVay - he isn’t going to get in the way of someone’s development or opportunities. That’s what a confident leader does and you’d be crazy if you think that there aren’t some OCs and DCs out there chomping at the bits to work with him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
McVay and the Rams would have to grant permission.

Similar to the Matt LaFleur situation in 2018. Like O’Connell, LaFleur was a first time OC under a young HC with an offensive background.

McVay allowed LaFleur to join a young HC (Vrabel) with a defensive background. Technically, a lateral move but in substance a better opportunity.

If Staley wants O’Connell, it will be interesting to see how McVay responds.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he wants to go I’m sure McVay will allow it. He’s never held staff back from moving on. Sure it might make some people question the “why” but it could also be a testament to McVay - he isn’t going to get in the way of someone’s development or opportunities. That’s what a confident leader does and you’d be crazy if you think that there aren’t some OCs and DCs out there chomping at the bits to work with him.
Right, he feels he needs to pay it forward since folks took a shot on him. If O'Connell wants to go, then he can go

Malibu

Pro Bowler
He did nothing to improve the offense and that was his job. We actually averaged less ppg than last year and we had a ton of injuries last season.

I wanted him fired with the STs Coordinator this week. Hopefully he gets the job.

TXRams86

The Infamous
He did nothing to improve the offense and that was his job. We actually averaged less ppg than last year and we had a ton of injuries last season.

I wanted him fired with the STs Coordinator this week. Hopefully he gets the job.
I agree whole heartedly. I think his value is that he has experience working with McVay and his offensive system. Say what we want about our system's success this year but its proven to be a successful one. Look no further than what LaFleur is doing down in GB. Teams are going to do their best to replicate it and what better way to get a jump start on doing so by hiring O'Connell. In the grand scheme of things he was basically a McVay understudy that really added nothing to the success of our team.

Ellard80

Legend
he wants to call plays so yeah.... but oc for us isn't that important.. because really mcvay is the OC.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been wondering about this one. Figured that if McVay was not impressed with O'Connell that he'd give him up easily to Staley's new staff.

If Waldron's smart he'll go with him too. :ROFLMAO:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
he wants to call plays so yeah.... but oc for us isn't that important.. because really mcvay is the OC.
I'm not so sure about that. I suspect that McVay divides his attention between his coordinators and that's based on rumors about how involved he has been with the defense even back when he had Wade who probably cracked jokes every time McVay got into x's and o's with him. Yeah he calls the plays but how much of the gameplan builds are him? I find that to be a very interesting question, the kind I'd love to hear a press person ask him.

I expect a new OC and most importantly a new QB coach.