Obo Okoronkwo progressing: won't be handed a roster spot:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You don’t cut a promising rookie like Kiser, over a guy like Hager, who barely plays, and is in the last year of his contract. That’s bad business. You keep the rookie with higher potential and a longer deal left. Hager is fine, but this is his last year here.

Kiser's college film shows a two-down interior backer. I think he's probably valued higher by us than he is at large around the league. We'll see if what the Rams think though pretty soon here, someone's gonna go.

IMO just line him up blind side this week in practice and keep his responsibilities simple for now: contain & rush. Not optimum, but maybe with things being simple he'll be able to give us a little boost on the rush.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s unfortunate because I don’t think he’s big enough to stay healthy at linebacker.

They liked his coverage skills at safety so much in Tampa that they traded him away for a bag of chips.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They liked his coverage skills at safety so much in Tampa that they traded him away for a bag of chips.

Correct.
He does okay covering the average tight end and he does okay at the second level underneath but no chance he sticks with wide receivers in this league upfield.
JMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Los Angeles Rams could soon be getting some much-needed help at EDGE.
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...ed-help-at-edge-linebacker-ogbonnia-okoronkwo

Obo-y
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ Oct 19, 2018, 6:55am CDT

Despite the chaos often caused on the defensive front by Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, and Michael Brockers, the Los Angeles Rams have struggled to tally sacks through the first six weeks of the 2018 NFL season. In fact, eight of the teams 12 sacks (ranking 22nd) have come from the aforementioned trio. And while it’s difficult to nitpick an undefeated team, it’s fair to say they need, and should expect, more from their outside pass rushers.

They may soon get some help in that regard. Rams’ 2018 5th round pick (160th overall) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo returned to practice this week. He started the year on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list after having foot surgery in May. NFL rules dictate a player starting the season on the PUP list cannot play or practice during the first six weeks of the NFL season.

@OgboOkoronkwo!#LARams pic.twitter.com/eAk0wX3aQR

— Los Angeles Rams (@RamsNFL) October 18, 2018
It’s great news for the Rams, who could obviously use some juice at EDGE. That said, don’t expect to see him suiting up in Week 7 in San Francisco. Rams’ defensive coordinator Wade Phillips touched on the matter in Thursday’s presser:

Yes, he’s practicing now. He’s got 21 days, I think, to see where he is. We haven’t seen him that much in practice yet. We’re hopeful that he’ll do well. He wouldn’t be ready to play this week for sure.Players designated to the PUP list are allowed to do conditioning work during the first six weeks of the season, but are prohibited from practicing with the team; so they’ll continue to monitor the foot as he now takes part in live sessions. Phillips mentioned “21 days,” which is the amount of time the Rams will now have to make a decision on his status for the remainder of the season. At the end of that three week window, they have three options:

1. Activate him to the 53-man roster (ideal)
  2. Leave him on the PUP list (not ideal)
  3. Release/waive him (not happening)

By rule, teams have an additional six weeks (on top of the first six weeks of the regular season) to allow a player to start practicing — so it’s a good sign that Okoronkwo is out there already. Stay tuned. A player that many deemed a steal in this year’s draft may soon give a very solid Rams’ defense a much-needed boost as they head into the back half of the season.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I hope Obo adds something to the edge pass rush, but I don't expect him to be anything special right away. He was a fifth round pick after all.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct.
He does okay covering the average tight end and he does okay at the second level underneath but no chance he sticks with wide receivers in this league upfield.
JMO.
My concern with Joyner was he seemed to be late in over the top coverage against the Broncos. I expect cornerbacks to cover the wide receivers with help from the safety. Since Joyner is franchised this year, I was just speculating about next year.