Obo Okoronkwo progressing: won't be handed a roster spot:

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I know we're struggling at the edge, but I really don't think that he's going to give us the answer this year, I like him, but I see him as rotational guy only. Is there anyone out there in FA that could step in?

Ram Pat

Rookie
One thing Ebukam still demonstrates is near-elite closing ability, I really like how quickly he can close the gap on ball carriers. But yeah he's not been very good at setting the edge and getting pressure, which makes me wonder how he'd do on the interior, maybe that closing ability would serve him well fillin holes.

Closing ability is great, but lateral agility seems to get him a lot. doesn't seem to "breakdown" at tackle point and runner makes slight move and he flies by . strait line runner

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Dude....disturbing
Doesn’t that guy get his fingers chopped off?

It's Obo as Wez, the psychotic guy who has to be chained because of his over-zealous violent tendencies....in the original pic about to be let loose on the gas compound.

Toadie is the guy (who announces the Lord Humungous) that gets his fingers chopped off by the boomerang.

Rest easy... no fingers were chopped during the making of this pic. ;)

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The Edge has 1 sack :baghead: which was by Ebukam. Sorry but that is totally unacceptable for this defense. Coach Wade must keep looking for someone to contribute. Remember - this is an all in season.

If I'm not mistaken Franklin-Meyers had a strip sack to pretty much close out the game a few weeks ago.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Closing ability is great, but lateral agility seems to get him a lot. doesn't seem to "breakdown" at tackle point and runner makes slight move and he flies by . strait line runner

Agreed. Which is why he suffers on the contain, and why I think he might be better served on the interior fillin holes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm not mistaken Franklin-Meyers had a strip sack to pretty much close out the game a few weeks ago.

Oh and btw, Franklin is an outstanding young player. It's funny how pre-draft I wanted the Rams to take Obo earlier than they did, but they still got him later plus added fine LT and 5T prospects with a rather poor collection of picks. So I am impressed with what they did, given all that, and it serves as the most recent reminder that I don't know jack.

But I really hope we keep our picks this year. This defense needs some draft TLC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So lookin at our overall LB depth:

OLB - Longacre > Young
ILB - Barron > Wilson
ILB - Littleton > Hager > Kiser
OLB - Ebukam > Lawler

Note: Franklin is listed at DE as depth, but can play edge, so not putting him above.

When Obo comes back they have two choices IMO...

1. Cut Young and hope he clears waivers.
2. Cut Kiser and hope he clears waivers.

Someone will get cut to make space for him, because he's a better player than the depth/fringe types. Options above operate under the assumption they will make a cut from the larger LB group, which is not a certainty. But what I would do is the following:

OLB - Longacre > Young
ILB - Ebukam > Barron > Wilson
ILB - Littleton > Hager
OLB - Lawler > Okorongkwo

I'd cut the back end of the ILB group (Kiser) and add Ebukam to the interior group. IMO he'd give us more consistent run fills and next to Littleton we'd have two guys who would grow in the defense under this staff. Barron for now subs in on pass plays, Ebukam on run plays.

Now all that said even though I thought Obo was our best pick at the time, I am skeptical that he can help us too much right out the gate, given him missing everything. But he can sub in on passing downs after a little time if needed for a different look (Longacre/Lawler/Young are all similar in style of game being moreso left side types) while growing into a job.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's Obo as Wez, the psychotic guy who has to be chained because of his over-zealous violent tendencies....in the original pic about to be let loose on the gas compound.

Toadie is the guy (who announces the Lord Humungous) that gets his fingers chopped off by the boomerang.

Rest easy... no fingers were chopped during the making of this pic. ;)

Awesome, thanks for the clarification :LOL:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Man I want to see him and Kiser on the field.

Does anyone know if the injury was caused in training camp or is that why he fell to us in the 5th???

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, well, my wife knocked a glass off the table and shattered it this morning, and i just got a tiny splinter of it in my foot. So while Obo Okoronkwo may be like Von Miller, I'm pretty much John McClane.
You fancy yourself some kind of cowboy?

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
We can talk about role players all day but it is star players that win championships. Mr. Donald, Suh, Brockers, Peters, Joyner, Goff, and Gurley need to be at the top of their game. If they are we should be fine.

TexasRam

Legend
Wont be granted a roster spot my ass.

If the defense continues to generate zero outside pressure you can bet they will be forced to find a pass rusher. if Obo gets on the field and crushes it, (not saying he will) then he will find himself a roster spot.

The NFL is a production business. Period.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So you want him gifted a spot because of his position rather than have him earn it?
And he will be.
They're not going to put a 5th rounder on the practice squad and watch him get poached.

They're going to put him on the active roster, rotate him in and see how he does and make their decision from there.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And he will be.
They're not going to put a 5th rounder on the practice squad and watch him get poached.

They're going to put him on the active roster, rotate him in and see how he does and make their decision from there.
He will be what? Gifted a spot ? Ok...I’ll take your word over Mcvays

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Ok...I’ll take your word over Mcvays
I knew you'd come around.

But seriously, McVay is not going to come out and tell the guy he's going to give him a spot.
He wants the man to go to work hard in practice.
And he might not even be active.

But he'll be on the 53 and not the practice squad when he is off the IR.
Betcha! :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He will be what? Gifted a spot ? Ok...I’ll take your word over Mcvays
Id be shocked if they put him on the practice squad or cut him so yeah, he’s probably a lock for a roster spot. Dressing on Sundays? Not unless he beats out another game day player.